Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 20th, 2005, 03:45 PM
patticake

Default strong current at chankanaab in snorkeling area?

Is the current i am reading about two dangerous for 11 and 12 year olds who will be snorkeling with us in the snorkeling area? they are used to being in water over their heads so that is not our worry, but this current is a worry. also they will rent you snorkeling life jackets at chankanaab wont they? thanks
Sponsored Links
Old April 20th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy
Default Re: strong current at chankanaab in snorkeling area?

My kids snorkeled there, without life jackets (10, 12 & 15 at the time) and didn't have any problems with the current.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old April 20th, 2005, 04:37 PM
First Mate

We have been going to Chankanaab for many years. I have not noticed a bad current.
We began SCUBA diving there about 25 years ago before it became a National Park.
My husband, myself and two of our sons have snorkeled there without life jackets. We usually bring our own masks and snorkels. However, there is a dive shop there that will rent snorkel and SCUBA equipment. It is a great place for families.
Old April 20th, 2005, 06:13 PM
CherylR

Patti,
We brought our own masks and snorkels last time also and did not have to wear vests (I hate the idea of putting my mouth on a snorkel that was in someone else's mouth and they are cheap and are no trouble to pack) but had no trouble whatsoever with the current. We treaded water fine, swam out to the float to relax for a few minutes and I was able to dive down quite deep to get closer to all the fish swimming around a coral formation. The strong current could have been the time of year, or maybe if there was stormy weather before they went. Just be careful getting in the water...it is rocky and very slippery.
Old April 21st, 2005, 11:38 AM
Admiral

Patti, No we did not experience any current. It was just a titch wavy(maybe it was just the tide??), but not at all bad. My 7 yr.old and husband(who does not swim well) both wore life vests. My 13 yr.old did not wear a life vest-I think she might have had a small float toy(half of a pool noodle thing). Honestly, the sea was fine to snorkel in. No problems whatsoever! Don't worry-just rent the kids some life jackets if needed. Chan.Park was a fun time!!!!!