Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 25th, 2005, 02:41 PM
Jorge and Lisette Delgado

Default Bad Experience with Carnival

On April 20th my husband and I along with some of our friends were to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary on the Fantasy cruise ship out of Port Canaveral. We completed our fun pass info and thought we were all set to travel. What a nightmare!!!
The bottom line we were unable to travel because my husband had an older alien resident card. This inspite of the fact that he had travelled on Carnival out of Miami Less than a year before, June 4, 2004 to be exact. The head of embarkation at Port Canaveral was rude and uncooperative despite all of our efforts. And even though we spoke to the Immigration dept. and they had no problem with my husband's travelling out of the country,Carnival refused to let us board their ship.In addition, Carnival will not refund our money!!. Moreover, we were never informed before our date of travel that there were some changes to travel requirements with Carnival. We are surely not the only ones to whom this has happened. How much money is Carnival making with this scam? And what's more how is it being reported on their balance sheets? I'm curious to hear from others whom have also had this happened to them.
Sponsored Links
Old April 25th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Bad Experience with Carnival

Sorry, no sympathy from me. You should have made sure your documents were in order before you went on the trip. The cruise line cannot be expected to board passengers with incomplete, improper, expried or otherwise questionable documents.

And no, they should not have to refund your money.
Old April 25th, 2005, 03:04 PM
First Mate

It doesn't sound like a scam, just tighter security. Can you blame them nowadays?

Imagination 7-15-95
Sensation 3-3-96
Ecstasy 8-26-96
Destiny 3-9-97
Sensation 3-14-98
Imagination 3-13-99
Spirit 3-8-03
Valor 3-20-05

Fantasy

Liberty

Carnival Destiny 3-9-97
Carnival Sensation 3-14-98
Carnival Imagination 3-13-99
Carnival Spirit 3-8-03
Carnival Valor 3-20-05
Carnival Fantasy 9-1-05
Carnival Liberty 1-7-06
Carnival Legend 8-16-06
Carnival Miracle 5-16-09
Carnival Splendor 5-17-13

Carnival Sunshine
Old April 25th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Admiral

Have to agree with others--everything you read and hear nowadays tells you about tighter security. You should have double, then triple checked your documents before you left. My DH and I are US citizens and I still called Carnival about 3 times with document questions before our cruise last December.

Old April 25th, 2005, 03:33 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Bad Experience with Carnival

I have to agree with everyone too. Their website is thorough on what paperwork is needed for people - US citizens as well as aliens, etc. You should've been more thorough on what you needed before the cruise. Although I am a US citizen and don;t need as much documentation as others, I am anal about making sure I have everything I need.

NCL Dream - '08
Carnival Miracle - '07
NCL Dawn - '06
NCL Spirit - '06
Carnival Legend - '05
NCL Dawn - '04
NCL Dawn - '03
NCL Sea - '02
Cunard QE2 - '98
Old April 25th, 2005, 04:58 PM
rubyrierie

You would have had the same experience no matter what cruise line you had gone on.
Old April 25th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Admiral

Not nCarnival's fault that you do not have the proper documents and it is not Carnivals decision not to allow you to cruise. That is the responsibility and decision by the US Government and it is entirely up to you to obtain the proper documents needed to sail. I am very sorry you did not get to cruise but you can't blame Carnival for this at all. They have nothing to do with it. Also you purchased that cabin which prevents CCL from selling it to anyone else, weather you occupied it or not through no fault of CCL does not matter. You should not get the refund as that would punish CCL for your error and you get off with no loss, that isn't fair.
Jim
Jim

Old April 25th, 2005, 07:37 PM
CherylR

Ditto...in agreement with everyone else. You are responsible for checking to make sure everything is up to date and what documentation you will now need to travel. Just because something like an alien card worked a year ago doesn't mean it is still valid. Requirements change all the time, just like everyone will need a passport by the end of the year to travel out of the US. It is not Carnival's fault...it is a law by government and immigration standards. Just like it seems we always get held up debarking the cruise ship by the cruise line making announcements for certain people to come to the pursers desk and immigration...they all probably have old alien cards as well.
Old April 25th, 2005, 08:30 PM
cali-croozer

This is right from Carnival's website:

U.S. Permanent Residents need:

- A valid Permanent Resident Card

Non-U.S. citizens need:

- A valid passport
- A valid, unexpired U.S. Multiple Re-Entry Visa, if applicable non-U.S. citizens eligible to apply for admission under the Visa Waiver Pilot Program must still have a valid, unexpired passport.

For sailings calling on Canadian ports of call, certain foreign nationals must obtain a Canadian visa in addition to the multiple-entry visa.

For sailings calling on Bermuda, U.S. Alien Residents will need a valid passport (or a birth certificate and official photo ID) in addition to their Alien Resident Card.

Non-U.S. citizens must contact the appropriate consulates, U.S. Embassy and U.S. Immigration office to inquire about necessary travel documentation. Carnival assumes no responsibility for advising guests of Immigration requirements. All non-U.S. citizens and U.S. Permanent Residents must surrender their passport and/or Permanent Resident cards at time of embarkation. These documents will be returned upon completion of the Immigration inspection.
Old April 25th, 2005, 08:48 PM
Passenger

Carnival should update their website. As of 2 weeks ago they did not take your passport from you when you embark if you are non US (suprise to us). Some of the islands now require you to have a passport on you to get pass security to get back to the ship.
Old April 25th, 2005, 09:02 PM
First Mate

They have always taken the passports of non US citizens. My husband is not a US citizen and has traveled with Carnival several times over the past 12 or more years and each time they took his passport.

Old April 25th, 2005, 09:18 PM
Passenger

I'm telling you, I am a Canadian and have always had my passport taken. I JUST got off the ship LAST Saturday and they did NOT take 1 persons passport. You have to keep them on you now and show them to immigration when you debark the ship. They have just changed this recently because last year I had to give it to them before I got on.
Old April 25th, 2005, 09:53 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to Chyna

Yes I agree I had a friend from Canada travel with me and he had to surrender his passport as well. Many security requirements are changing constantly ALWAYS check before you leave if you have the proper documentation. What once was ok, isn't any longer and what is currently ok, won't be the next time you travel. I am thankful that the security is constantly being improved. But is true, this would have happened no matter what cruiseline you would have been on, definately not a problem with Carnival but a problem with assuming things hadn't changed.

My penny's worth---
Chyna

Old April 26th, 2005, 03:49 AM
First Mate

Location: Near Liz's favourite home, Windsor Castle, Berkshire, U.K.

Brutis,

I disagree. We have sailed on US ships (Carnival and RCCL) 4 times and each and every time our Passports have been taken off us at the embarkation process (we are British subjects) and only returned back following the gruelling immigration process back into US territory (i.e. St. Thomas on the Eastern Caribbean route etc).

Also, all British citizens know that they have to have AT LEAST SIX MONTHS validity (i.e. before expiry date) left on their passports to be able to enter most countries nowadays - it is a legal requirement here.

So, to the original postee, like everyone else on here, it is always your responsibility to check and recheck that all your credentials are in order before you travel.

Regards,
KG
Old April 26th, 2005, 05:40 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to PeterV Send a message via Yahoo to PeterV

Before jumping all over them, I think the OP needs to provide more information about what Carnival said was wrong with their documentation.

A resident card is good for 10 years, like a passport, the fact that it is an older one should not be an issue unless it was expired or near to expiring. Since they did say that an Immigration officer looked at it and pronounced it valid, I would need to know more before I would say they were not treated unfairly.

Cheers,
Peter

Old April 26th, 2005, 05:52 AM
Familiar Face

Here we go with the 'scam' talk again............................

Until we have ALL the facts, which I doubt we ever will, I'll have to agree with the others.

Completing the Fun Pass does NOT assure you of boarding.

And, as you say,........."The bottom line we were unable to travel because my husband had an older alien resident card."

A little more info would help us pass judgement but to accuse Carnival of running a scam....................
Old April 26th, 2005, 05:53 AM
Cruise Maniac

Going out of the country is not the issue getting back into the country is the issue.
Old April 26th, 2005, 06:43 AM
Admiral

"A resident card is good for 10 years, like a passport" Peter this is not 100% true. I have had a resident alien card now for about 20 years. My card will never expire it was issued 1983. I have traveled with my card in and out of the USA as recently as last year.

Old April 26th, 2005, 08:21 AM
Passenger

Kimmiegirl and Chyna,

Maybe you did not read my post close enough......Like I said I just sailed on the Carnival Triumph on April 9-16th 2005. They have always taken my passport in the past (3 other cruises) but they are no longer doing that! I asked about it at embarkation and was told that they are no longer doing that. ALSO,( just to get your knickers in a knot) you no longer have to get up early and report to immigration at the disco on the ship and get your passport back. You report to immigration AFTER you get off the ship with your declarations card and your passport in your hand along with the Americans.
I'm not trying to give you a hard time, I just think people do not realize that rules change from one year to the next. Trust me I'm non US, just got off of a Carnival cruise and just stood in line along with Americans.
Old April 26th, 2005, 09:03 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I'm Canadian, and I've cruised a couple of times <G>

Some cruise lines have taken our passports at embarkation, others have not. Just depends on the system they choose. Carnival was one that did, but they may have recently switched the system to follow other lines.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old April 26th, 2005, 09:06 AM
First Mate

Location: Near Liz's favourite home, Windsor Castle, Berkshire, U.K.

Dear Brutis

My apologies then, I stand corrected! I wonder when they changed their ruling on this then, as they were always so strict about it.

Do you think it could be because U.S. immigration is starting to insist that all U.S. citizens will have to start carrying passports (just like the rest of us) when travelling, so are starting to treat everybody the same.

It must prove to be a bind at the end of the cruise when people have flights to catch etc to start the queueing process for disembarkation (like at U.S. Airports etc).

Yes, it would be good not to have to get up for the 6.00a.m. roll call for all aliens out there to then sit in the theatre or wherever for over an hour to get your passport back.

Sorry if I misread what you were stating and cannot understand at this stage, why the rules have been changed.

I am sure some of the more 'influential' of us on these boards may have the answer (wink wink)

Regards,
KG
Old April 26th, 2005, 10:22 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to PeterV Send a message via Yahoo to PeterV

Sue, Sorry, I was confused, and with US Immigration, that is not hard. The 10 years refers to a particular type of green card. Otherwise it seems not to make a difference and you do not normally renew them.

Just why I was asking about what they meant by old type or card.

Cheers,
Peter

Old April 26th, 2005, 11:43 AM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to Chyna

My point was things KEEP changing, never assume anything.

Old April 26th, 2005, 12:01 PM
Captain

Send a message via MSN to hockeyluver

We had to surender our passports before boarding both our cruises and had to get up early way too early to retrieve them before disembarking. Also we had an itinerary change instead of going to cozumel we went to nassau. therefor had to fill out paperwork before we got to port. I wish they would stamp our passports for each port we go to, so we could look back and say oh i remember that trip. :o)

Next up Elation Aug 23 '10
then the Miracle again Feb 7,2011
Miracle '10
Holiday '09
Legend '09
Triumph '08
Valor '07
Triumph '06
Fascination '04
Legend '03
Old April 26th, 2005, 12:25 PM
Admiral

Why is it people are always thinking it's a "scam?"...............hmmmm.

I mean do you really think a corporation as successful as Carnival wants to lose your business??? No, I really think they want to take you on their cruise, show you a good time, deliver what they promised, satisfy your expectations, and create a repeat customer. A business which is in business to give their customers the business will not be in business long. Sheeesh, some people are just not too rational.

Regards,
Thomas
Old April 26th, 2005, 01:00 PM
Admiral

Why can't folks take responsibility for their own actions. Travel documentation and proper identification are an integral part of travelling in 2005. Thses folks chose to present unacceptable documentation. It is YOUR responsibility to determine, long before you walk up to the check in desk, what proper documentation for a non US citezen is and whether or not you have it. Where is the scam? Why does someones failure to pay attention to the details result in a scam on Carnivals part?
I'm sorry you missed your cruise.
Old April 27th, 2005, 12:33 AM

Assuming that your husband did not have a valid resident alien card Carnival had no choice but to not let you on the boat as they would have been stuck with you for life. They could not bring your husband back to the US and would be fined if they did as they cant bring in people without proper documentation. Likewise the other countries may also have had rules regarding bring undocumented aliens into their countries.

Carnival particularly wants to get along with and be trusted by immigration because it makes it easier for them and the other passengers. Can you imagine the hassle it would be if passengers had to go through formal immigration everytime they stepped off a cruise ship.

As to keeping your money that is not right as you did not get your cruise or use any food or anything else on the ship. Unless the cruise was fully booked and they had to turn someone else away they should not keep your money. On the other hand you did agree to give Carnival money some of which is profit and its not their fault your husband showed up with out proper documentation.

In my opinion the fair thing to do regarding the money is for Carnival to give you a credit to use on another cruise during a time when they are likely to have an empty cabin. Have you asked Carnival if they would be willing to give you a credit for another cruise?
Old April 27th, 2005, 07:46 AM
Cruise Maniac

Why should Carnival have to give any kind of credit???

People need to be responsible for themselves - the person who books a cruise and does not bother to make sure they have proper travel documents (especially if they are not a US citizen) should be accountable, not the cruise line.

If Carnival does give money back, or gives a credit, all that does in the long run is increase costs for the rest of us who make sure we understand what is needed before we leave for the pier.

I said it in my first post, but here it is again - sorry, but I have no sympathy for someone who is too lazy to figure out what documents they need before they travel. That's inexcusable.
Old April 27th, 2005, 08:41 AM
Admiral

Alot of us have responded to the original poster but they have never responded back. With some of the things people have stated, you would think they would have something to say about all the negative replies. Maybe they are scamming us?????????

Old April 27th, 2005, 09:31 AM
CherylR

CherylC,
I was just wondering the same thing. After all our replies in here you would think they would respond back with more input or information, or at least anger at all our negative replies! Hmmmm.....