Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 26th, 2005, 08:23 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Eaky77
Default Jim Bragg, can you please help?

Hi Jim,

My husband, myself, and both of our parents are going on a cruise in October. We all are able to get our birth certificates, and marriage licences. Will we have to get a passport as well? My in-laws are looking for a cheap route. They never travel, and they would only use the passport this one time, and do not want to spend the money on a passport. I was just wondering if they would still accept the birth certificates then or not. I know this question has been asked a million times, but a severe brain fart has made me wonder again. Any info would be great!!

Thanks Jim,
Erin

09-24-06 Destiny
10-02-05 Valor My favorite yet!
10-23-04 Triumph (Honeymoon of my dreams)
12-24-94 Holiday
Sponsored Links
Old April 26th, 2005, 10:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Jim Bragg, can you please help?

The Passport for cruises law won't go into effect for what you are doing till past your cruise... look on line at the Passport's gov't site...... it shows the dates it's mandatory... and it's not till 2006
Old April 26th, 2005, 11:19 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Eayky:

That is correct: As of today the passport requirements, for the Caribbean, will not go into effect until 12/31/05. Just make sure you don't miss the ship in Belize or Honduras. You will be able to sail with birth certificates and proper supporting documentation as described in your documents and the Carnival website.

I still strongly advocate that you get the passports. You may not be able to convince your in-laws and if they are never going to travel again that's their decision and they can handle the consequences if they change their minds.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 26th, 2005, 11:41 AM
Captain

Send a message via MSN to hockeyluver

I live just outside of Windsor and we are being advised that it will become law if you are canadian and want to go over to Detroit you will need a passport and if you are american coming over to Canada you will need one also this is supposed to come in effect before 2007 I would advise any and everyone to get one you never know when you might need it!!

Next up Elation Aug 23 '10
then the Miracle again Feb 7,2011
Miracle '10
Holiday '09
Legend '09
Triumph '08
Valor '07
Triumph '06
Fascination '04
Legend '03
Old April 26th, 2005, 12:10 PM
rosetattoo

Make sure your birth certificates have a raised seal on them, not one issued by the doctor/hospital where you were born. I agree with Mike M., I would strongly recommend that they apply for passports, looks like the government is leaning towards an eventual mandatory requirement for U.S. Citizens to obtain passports regardless if they travel or not. Unfortunately, all it will take is another massive act of terrorism in the U.S. to close our borders. I think passports will become an integral part of our daily life.
Old April 26th, 2005, 12:39 PM
Administrator
Admiral

FYI:

This is the official implementation plan for the new passport requirements: It still requires approval by the U.S. Congress but, IMO, the chances of this "not" happening are slim.

************************************************** ****************************************

On Tuesday, April 5, 2005, the U.S. State Department announced details of the proposed "Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative." If the proposed rules are enacted, U.S. and Canadian citizens will be required to carry a passport for travel to or from certain countries/areas that were previously exempt. The proposed implementation is as follows:

* December 31, 2005 - Passport required for all air and sea travel to or from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Central and South America.

* December 31, 2006 - Passport required for all air and sea travel to or from Mexico and Canada.

* December 31, 2007 - Passport required for all air, sea and land border crossings.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 26th, 2005, 12:39 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Eaky77

Thanks everyone!!

I think I will go ahead and get one, I will make my hubby do the same. I just would rather be safe than sorry. I will tell the inlaws that they need to get one as well. I just think that would be the safest bet!

Thanks Again,
Erin

09-24-06 Destiny
10-02-05 Valor My favorite yet!
10-23-04 Triumph (Honeymoon of my dreams)
12-24-94 Holiday
Old April 26th, 2005, 09:06 PM
Admiral

You have gotten all the correct information I see. While you still 'can' in October of this year a Passport sure does make it much easier and saves hours possibly when you get on and off the ship at the start and end of the cruise. That alone is worth the expense. As you can see, a passport is going to be required for just about everything now, even a quick cross-border trip to our northern friends in Canada! It would not surprise me to hear that the airlines will require on to fly even a domistic flight! Nothing has been mentioned and it is not a Government law or even a proposal but you never know. Bottom line, anyone that travels or anyone under the age of 75 should get one. <G>
Jim

Old April 27th, 2005, 06:59 PM
browezilla

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2224.html

Interesting. It still says "proposed"?!?
Old April 27th, 2005, 10:10 PM
borntocruise

Default Re: Re: Jim Bragg, can you please help?

Jim, another question, my passport expired in 1975. If I use my original # will it make getting a new one easier or less expensive????
Am I REQUIRED to submit the original passport #? I have had many opinions on this subject. Also what is the price to renew a passport about to expire?

Thank you jp
Old April 28th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Admiral

I think because it has expired for so long, 30 years, you will have to go through the entire process. Check out the government website to be sure.
Jim

Old April 28th, 2005, 10:54 PM
borntocruise

Default Re: Re: Jim Bragg, can you please help?

Thanks, Jim, my daughter has applied for a passport. She has information for me regarding expired passports, will pass it along when I recieve it.

Along another line.....My passport EXPIRED 30 years ago??? I had been married 5 years & would wait another 2 before my firstborn arrived.
Now I am Granna to 2 babies. My, my how time flies when you are having fun........ I have been blessed.

jp
Old April 29th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Admiral

BTC, I know I had to look at it twice too. <G> Makes you appreciate the time you have been here and the time you may have left even more.
Brownzilla, yes it says proposed but there is absouletly nothing in the works that looks like it will prevent this from becoming signed into law.
Jim