Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 27th, 2005, 08:34 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default If port is closed in Belize????

Hi I have a question for anyone that knows first hand.......

With all of the upheaval in Belize right now, if the port is closed or if Carnival doesn't feel it's safe for us to port there....

What will Carnival do? I would rather just go to another port than get any money back.

Out of all my cruises I have been luck enough to not have to deal with this.... but what do ya'll think or know???

I just emailed my TA .
Sponsored Links
Old April 27th, 2005, 08:42 AM
booboo4031

Default Re: If port is closed in Belize????

They can skip a port without refunding $$ and just have an extra sea day. It's in the cruise contract. The ports are subject to change or cancellation based on weather, unrest, etc....

Old April 27th, 2005, 09:46 AM
cruisinfan

What is going on in Belize? I haven't heard anything.
Old April 27th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Admiral

In Carnival's brochure, they say they will most likely refund you $25 (or is it $20) if a port is missed. If they can, they substitute another port.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old April 27th, 2005, 10:12 AM
Cruise Maniac

I don't even care about the money I would rather just go to another port if for some reason we can't get into Belize.......

I wonder being down there if they would just go to somewhere else in Mexico that day or what....

I am doing Glory so it's 3 ports right after each other: Mexico, Yuctan, Belize..... Key West is on Sunday......
Old April 27th, 2005, 10:13 AM
booboo4031

They can substitute a port but they don't have to.

There is a lot of civil unrest right now. This is the link to the Reuter's new story yesterday. This is a copyrighted story so I can only post the link here:

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...toryID=8303290

Old April 27th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Kiki D

I just checked Expedia for the Glory departing 11/19/05. The itineraty includes Cozumel, Belize, Progresso and Costa Maya (not necessarily in that order). Is this a change? I could have sworn that Key West was listed as the first stop when I checked it a while ago.
Old April 27th, 2005, 02:01 PM
cruisinfan

We are going on the Glory in July and it goes to Key West, Belize, Cozumel andProgresso.
Old April 27th, 2005, 02:02 PM
cali-croozer

If they can't go into Belize you'll get the port charges back for that port. We should know, as people get back from their cruises, if another port was substituted. We also had a 4 port itinerary and would have been happy to skip Belize.........I love sea days!
Old April 27th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Happy Camper

Depends on where you are out of - if out of Florida I'd say it is likely you will substitute Nassau if a substitution is warranted. It just seems like that it what they do the most. They don't have too and you probably won't know until you sail. If out of Galveston or New Orleans you get an extra sea day as there isn't any other ports to substitute... Debbie
Old April 27th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Passenger

From Galveston, I wonder if they could change Playa Del Carmen instead of Belize?

Glory Jan. 2006
Old April 27th, 2005, 03:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

Key West is the normal for Glory but I know the brochure showed a few dates in Oct or Nov that there was a change.
Old April 27th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Admiral

If for any reason they miss a port, be it for weather, civil unrest, or mechnical reasons they will give you $20pp shipboard credit. That is the policy. They may give you more but do not expect it. They cannot just change and go to another port as it takes quite a bit of shuffeling to have the required space available as well as permission from the port. It is very seldom done 'on the fly' but they try to do it if they know that the port will be closed for an extended time.
Jim

Old April 27th, 2005, 06:26 PM
momtomegem

Last year, when we were on the Inspiration we were supposed to go to Costa Maya. The water was very choppy. They had a difficult time docking there, so we continued on to Cozumel. We stayed the night in Cozumel since that was the next port. That's probably what will happen if the Belize unrest continues since Cozumel is the next port after Belize.
Old April 27th, 2005, 07:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

This is the first I've heard of any un-rest in Belize. I sure hope if they end up cancelling the stop that they can get a fill in for our Sept. cruise?? I'd love to stop in Grand Cayman again....

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 28th, 2005, 08:16 AM
reverendjeff

I just heard from my excursion provider in Belize that the water and electricity providers are wanting to go on strike. He says the people just want to get rid of the present government, and have early elections. He is hopeful that it will all be settled soon. All we can do is pray for Belize and it's wonderful people. I hope to visit there again in July.
Old April 28th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Admiral

There have been some problems in Belize but mainly with the government and that relates to also hurting some tour providers because of insurance. Hopefully it will clear up soon. You will not just go a day early to Cozumel. The port will likly have a full compliment of ships there and there will be no room. If it happens you can be very grateful it was allowed. Going to another port if you miss one is not up to the ship itself but a long and oft times complicated process. Once in awhile it worls out, mostly it does not.
Jim

Old May 1st, 2005, 09:20 PM
d7mill

We are sailing on the Glory on 5/6/05 and have made reservations for a snorkeling excursion. If the port is cancelled, will we be able to get a refund onboard, or is it going to be a difficult process? JIM?
Old May 1st, 2005, 09:54 PM
Admiral

Depends. Did you book the excursion through the ship or privately? If through the ship and a port is cancelled then no problem at all, it will be credited back to you immediately towards your ships account just as any reimbursement for a missed port is. If you have a positive credit on your S&S account then they can cut you a check on the morning of departure if you wish or they will send it to you. I had then cut me a check. Now if it is through a private vendor.....I cannot answer that but you are pretty much at their mercy.
FWIW the last time we were in Belize they had a big demonstration at the Government building downtown and lots of demonstrating and signs etc with the crowd yelling in a hostile manner. When we looked closer the demonstrators we actually treating it like a big party and even the cops were having fun with some of the cops even leading the cheers! We walked all around and through it and never once felt any danger.
Jim

Old May 1st, 2005, 10:24 PM
d7mill

Default Re: Re: If port is closed in Belize????

Thank You. Our best friends daughter is getting married during the cruise, at Key West, then the next stop is Belize. I don't believe that any one in the wedding party is aware that there may be some problems in Belize, at least they haven't said anything. This is one issue hopefully they won't have to deal with. I am not anticipating any problems, just want to be prepared and if it happens know what to do.

We booked the exursion by following the Carnival website for excursions, clicked on the link and then booked it. We're snorkling off an island the size of 2(?) football fields. It had been highly recommend by several couples. Is this how it's booked thru the Cruiseline?
Old May 2nd, 2005, 05:46 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

We just got back from our cruise last night and one our stops was Belize. Carnival is still stopping there and, it looked to me, offering all its tours.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old May 2nd, 2005, 06:50 AM
suzys

We just got off the Glory and we did stop in Belize, no problems.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 08:43 AM
Passenger

Same here...just got back. We were in Belize 4/26 and took the cave tubing trip. Everyone was very friendly. No apparent problems during the entire trip. Very friendly atmosphere.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 08:52 AM
Passenger

On a cruise I went on in September 2004 when we went to the embarkation counter they said that we were not going to Belize and instead substituting to Costa Maya, Mexico. It was a much nicer port than Belize. I've heard that Costa Maya is the next comparable port to Belize, but if you ask me it really beats Belize.

Rhapsody of the Seas 9/2003
Rhapsody of the Seas 9/2004
Old May 4th, 2005, 06:56 PM
Beergirl

Default Re: Re: If port is closed in Belize????

When are you going on Glory? and what is going on in Belize? We are going on first cruise july 17 2005 and are scheduled for Belize. We booked our one and only shore excursion there because we heard some dissapointing things about the place. We did not really feel as comfortable exploring Belize on our own. Now I am really starting to worry
Old May 5th, 2005, 08:53 AM
reverendjeff

Beergirl, You have no need to worry. You are on a ships excursion and that is probably the safest way to go. If there are still problems by July, the cruise line will skip this port if there is any pressing danger. Belize has only existed since 1981. As a young child, there are growing pains. Currently there are some demonstrations and general political unrest. The people there are good hard working folks who are unhappy with some percieved corrupt deals the government has made. Do a goggle search and you can read what's going on.
Old May 5th, 2005, 10:36 AM
Admiral

My honest suggestion is to take the ships tour to Xunatunich Ruins or the River Wallace/Altun Ha tours Both are great and get you away from Belize City. Both are fantastic tours and allow you to see the wonders of Belize.
Jim

Old May 9th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Rose M

Just returned from western Caribbean on the Valor....no problems in Belize, booked a snorkel excursion to Rendezvous Cay (island as large as a football field)...no problems.
Old May 17th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Jonathon bittle

Default Re: Re: Re: If port is closed in Belize????

are you on the glory july 16th??? I saw your post and thought you might have been...if so how many people are going and what ages????