Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 27th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Valerie Jeansonne

Default How to upgrade from inside to outside w/porthole or window?

Hi,

I just got info on what room I'm going to be in and it's an inside cabin since that is what I booked due to cost. Does anyone know at what point and how you can upgrade from an inside cabin to either a cabin with a porthole or a window without being charged more?(Yes, I'm being frugal.) It's my brother's first cruise and I thought it would be nice to get a window in our room to look outside. I know with all of those cruise experts out there, someone is sure to know how to do this.

Thanks,

Valerie Jeansonne
Sponsored Links
Old April 27th, 2005, 08:44 AM
First Mate

Default Re: How to upgrade from inside to outside w/porthole or wind

If you booked a guarantee it's usually just the luck of the draw if you get upgraded or not.

Imagination 7-15-95
Sensation 3-3-96
Ecstasy 8-26-96
Destiny 3-9-97
Sensation 3-14-98
Imagination 3-13-99
Spirit 3-8-03
Valor 3-20-05

Fantasy

Liberty

Post Edited (04-27-05 08:45)
Carnival Destiny 3-9-97
Carnival Sensation 3-14-98
Carnival Imagination 3-13-99
Carnival Spirit 3-8-03
Carnival Valor 3-20-05
Carnival Fantasy 9-1-05
Carnival Liberty 1-7-06
Carnival Legend 8-16-06
Carnival Miracle 5-16-09
Carnival Splendor 5-17-13

Carnival Sunshine
Old April 27th, 2005, 09:48 AM
Admiral

Jocko is right. There is nothing you can "do" to upgrade for free. If you booked a gty., then you stand a chance of getting an upgrade. If you did not, your chances are slim to none.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old April 27th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Admiral

since that is what you booked, that is what you received. You may get upgraded, you may not, chances that you will get upgraded to an outside are very slim. You can always pay for the upgrade(if available) if you think that you will not be happy with your current cabin.
Old April 27th, 2005, 11:27 AM
rosetattoo

Upgrading from an inside stateroom to a 5A (which is a port hole window) is not that much more money, at least there is daylight coming through the window. There are not many category 5A staterooms so you need to act quickly if you're considering an OV room. I agree with everyone, your chances of obtaining a "free" upgrade are slim to none.
Old April 27th, 2005, 12:13 PM
sls

If you've already gotten your room assignment then all the upgrades have probably been given out and there may not be any to be had.

sls
Old April 27th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Happy Camper

Depending on when you sail. If within two weeks from now then the upgrades have probably been handed out. The only thing to do is check the prices on Carnival's website and if the outside price or porthole price comes down to what you paid you can call Carnival or the travel agent if you used one and get switched for no cost. This is the only way to do it for free. That is what I do - just check every day and if and when the outside price goes down call that day - sometimes those specials don't last long and it may be for new bookings only but worth a shot.. Debbie
Old April 27th, 2005, 08:17 PM
Admiral

Book early and be lucky?????
The most magical upgrade fairy 'visited us' as we went from an IS Guarantee to the best OV(floor-ceiling windows on the Spa Deck). We were on the Valor Jan.23/05.
I know next time we probably will not be as lucky!!! We will book IS Guarantee again for our next cruise; kind of like gambling!!lol But what a REALLY nice first family cruise that was!!!!! :-)
Old April 28th, 2005, 07:17 AM
Passenger

I've booked guaranteed inside cabins with Carnival twice. I was upgraded to a cabin with a port hole once and an oceanview cabin on the second. Although both upgraded cabins were on lower decks I felt very lucky! I also tried the Kelly method of finding out what cabin was assigned. Although it took a little time, I came up with the exact cabin numbers both times!
Old April 28th, 2005, 08:46 AM
Happy Camper

In case you are wondering - Carnival said that the first people they upgrade is the ones that have paid the most..... Then past passengers... Then Handicapp special needs.... Then special events..... It makes sense since these people could call and get the upgrade anyway if they were watching the prices. Travel agents aren't real good about calling and checking so it is up to the person... If you got a good price then be happy because you will have an awesome time on the cruise no matter what cabin you are in!!! In 18 cruises we have always - but once- had an outside cabin of some sort and we have spent time in the cabin but lately we are spending a lot more time outside the cabin then before or the curtain is closed to the window when we are in it so really we are thinking about starting to book inside cabins. Unless it is a balcony of course - love one of them again! I've only had one - I just can't justify the cost. Dont' worry about an inside cabin - it will work out great .. Debbie