Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 27th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy
Default Illegal drugs

I know the question has come up before about people bringing pot with them on vacation. For those that are thinking of doing it, you may want to think again. I just read an article where a woman from Australia got caught with pot in Bali and she just got a 20 year sentance. She was facing a possible sentance of life in prison.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Sponsored Links
Old May 27th, 2005, 01:38 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to jasontom Send a message via MSN to jasontom
Default Re: Illegal drugs

Ridiculous!

Destiny 5/2000
Conquest 5/2003
Glory 10/8/2005
Old May 27th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Admiral

Might be ridiculous but it can and does happen. I personally watched a 20-something W/M stopped by the police in Jamacia at the pier and he found illegal drugs in the heel of his boot. Last we saw of him he was being placed in a police car and being driven off. He did not get back on the ship so have to assume the worse for him. I have also seen people taken off the ship in Key West and St Thomas and Police take them away. Bottom line, doing drugs on a ship is insane. If you are that addicted then don't cruise, stay home in your house. Better yet, get help and stop.
Jim

Old May 27th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Admiral

Amen Jim. For those of you who may do this kind of thing and think of it as recreational,
just think of spending 10 or 20 years in the prison system of some third world nation .
This is not a subject to be cute, hip, cool, or cavalier about.
Old May 27th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Fodorite

Which ships go to Bali?
Old May 27th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

The point is that other countries do have very tough laws if you're caught with illegal drugs, even pot. Some people think its no big deal to bring pot with them on the ship. I've seen others on this board told by some people to go ahead and bring it, no problem. The woman from Australia was a tourist in Bali, which from the gist of the article, is why she got such a "light" sentance.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old May 27th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

There were 3 young men in the room next to ours on the Celebration. They were smoking pot in their room. Everyone could smell it. They were reported and then had to stay in the room under guard. At the next port they were taken from the ship in handcuffs. I never saw them again during the cruise and the room remained empty.

Laura

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old May 28th, 2005, 07:15 AM
Everett Lee DeGolyer

I've read a couple of articles concerning the unfortunate Australian. One of them says that she was set up by an Australian customs drill gone awry.

Maybe, maybe not...

Still, why take the chance? Don't bring illegal drugs in your carry-ons. If you do do drugs and if you've ever brought your stash on road trips, search your checked luggage to make sure EVERYTHING'S gone BEFORE you go to the airport or board ship. If searching your luggage is too much bother, maybe you should clean up your act. Why take the chance for prison?
Old May 28th, 2005, 09:50 AM
Beginner

Hi,
Wasn't that something about that lady? I was so shocked..

I myself don't think she knew it was there.... but at the same time...... I am equally suspicouse and also wonder.

I think I would noticed if my carry bag was heavier than when I left home. And even if not... because of the size of the bag..... I don't think someone could stash a pound of pot so fast and so easily as to not to be spoted. She had to leave her bag somewhere else out of site.... to not notice herself for sometime.

Number one rule when traveling. Don't leave your bags unattended.

I think I will take this as a warning for myself....... and make sure that
my bags have not been tampered with...... to the best of my ability.
Old May 28th, 2005, 10:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to JoannFla

It is a shame that someone could get 20 years for having pot on them and someone who molests children gets like 3 years then gets out...strange and messed up..even though POT IS A DRUG AND DRUGS ARE BAD..I just hope Bali is as tough on other crimes more serious than pot. Hopefully that lady will get out..in less than 20 years...people make sure you read up on laws in other countries... happy cruising all
Old June 3rd, 2005, 12:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

If you attempt to board a ship in Tampa with drugs, USCustoms will catch you. You will then meet me as I will be the LEO to transport you to jail. Every cruise has at least one person trying to bring drugs on and off the ship and best part is they miss their cruise for even the smallest amount of contraband. This goes for those who have outstanding warrants as well. Criminals are dumb and this makes my job easier.
Old June 3rd, 2005, 05:58 PM
Family Man

I have seen drug bust on two cruises. The first is when my wife and I cruised on the Ecstasy back in 1998. DEA agents brought dogs on board while docked in Key West and went from cabin to cabin. We saw two couple on our deck being taken off for drugs that day. The second time was on the Grand Princess. Two young women, who recently graduated college, were smoking pot every day and night. The cabin steward told us the cabin absolutely reeked. They were also arrested for possession of illegal substances. Not very smart for persons of higher education. I wonder what their parents thought when they had to fish them out of a federal jail. If you try to bring drugs onboard, the dogs will find it. While passengers are still sleeping the morning the ship pulls in to port, the dogs are going from case to case sniffing for drugs. Even when you leave the ship, the dogs are their doing their jobs. They can smell drugs on a person ten feet away.
Old June 10th, 2005, 04:24 PM
Francis

Dumb idea. Dogs caught someone in Charleston when we arrived back on the Triumph from the bahamas last week. With homeland security as beefed up since 911 anyone foolish enough to try it for a buzz takes a big chance with their freedom.
Old June 10th, 2005, 11:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to JoannFla
Default Re: Re: Illegal drugs

I agree110% If you need drugs on a cruise...just don't go... you will get caught..