Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 2nd, 2005, 01:27 AM
Annie Dudley

Default Carnival vs. Norwegian

Hello all,

I am gathering information about comparisons between Carnival and Norwegian. We've cruised on the Conquest and Pride and are considering a cruise to the Mexican Riviera on the Norwegian Star.

Anyone been on both cruise lines? Or better yet, any of these ships to let me know what to expect on the Star? Any insight would be appreciated.

Annie
Sponsored Links
Old May 3rd, 2005, 08:01 AM
CandiPinki

Default Re: Carnival vs. Norwegian

My first two cruises were on the Sea and the SS Norway. Both ships were of the older variety but I can compare service on Norwegian vs. Carnival. All cruise lines do things a little bit different but I think one of the biggest differences was the midnight buffet. Norwegian has an incredible chocolate buffet! There isn't much more of a difference to me. The food, the service, the shows, it was all comparable. Now the first cruise we took was out of Texas and the second was out of Florida and the people on Texas crusies, I think, are a lot more friendly and seem to be there to have a good time.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 03:53 PM
Captain

I've done 7 cruises on Carnival and 6 on NCL. The biggest differance is the "freestyle" concept on NCL. Unlike all other cruise lines (except Princess) you do not have an assigned dining time or table, you eat when, where and with whom you choose. There are pros and cons to this style. I think the food is a tad better on NCL but not enough to make me choose one over the other. There seem to be more children on Crnival as they cater to families, so take that into account. I have gotten better upgrades as a past cruises on NCL than Carnival. NCL has great duvets on the bed but Carnival has those great bathrobes - and that's about what it comes down to. I think you should choose the itinerary, port of embarkation and pricing to decide. If you go with the right attitude almost no cruise can be bad.
Old May 4th, 2005, 07:57 AM
CandiPinki

I agree with Magnolia. I'm not sure if Norwegian still does this but when we went, you could choose where you wanted to eat or you could choose the traditional eating arrangements. I am younger and when we went on NCL three and four years ago, I always found people my age to talk to. RCCL was the worst for finding young people. After our first cruise, we had wanted to go on another cruise line but NCL offered us such a good deal, we couldn't pass it up. We're getting ready to go on our second cruise with Carnival (Ecstasy Aug 8) so we will see how the second time compares to the second time on an NCL.
Old May 4th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Yeoman

Annie, We're doing the same thing. We've both been on the Conquest (twice) and are looking into another line for the Mexican Rivera. When are you planning to go?

Holiday May 2000
Old May 4th, 2005, 03:16 PM
Annie Dudley

Default Re: Re: Carnival vs. Norwegian

Happy,

We're going Jan 28 '06. I did enjoy the Pride but this itinerary appeals to us more.

annie
Old May 4th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Yeoman

Annie, We're looking at the end of April 2006. Let me know how everything goes!

Holiday May 2000
Old May 7th, 2005, 01:32 PM
heather k

Annie,
my family and i went on our first cruise abord the Norweigian Spirt. it was so beautiful and we would cruise it again. my older sister and her boyfriend went on the conquest which is a Carniaval cruise and she said there was so much to do and it was alot of fun. Defentialy if you have childeren. now the Norwegian there was kids on there but not alot . and there were things to do for them . but i think we would have more fun on a carnival.
heather k
Old May 7th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Bmaintz

We always try to cruise when the kiddies are in school..... Plus you get great fares...
We booked the Conquest for Oct. 30th for $414.00 per person & that includes the $35.92 gov. tax per person..... Only thing extra will be tips tours...