Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 3rd, 2005, 12:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to shanenstac
Default glory fish 'n chips

sorry for asking so many questions, but my cruise is only 11 days and i'm getting REALLY excited! on the glory at the fish 'n chips station, what kind of fish is served and how is it prepared? thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old May 3rd, 2005, 01:43 PM
ToddinCanada

Default Re: glory fish 'n chips

Fish and Chips is one of my favorite meals and I found the Glory's excellent! It is traditional english style with lightly battered fish (haddock, I think) served with french fries and potato chips!
Old May 3rd, 2005, 01:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to shanenstac

thank you all for the helpful responses!
Old May 3rd, 2005, 08:22 PM
Admiral

They also serve a tasty fish stew and some other items that I honestly can't remember now! The plain old fish and chips are quite tasty and always hot. You sometimes have to wait a few minutes while they cook up a fresh batch.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old May 4th, 2005, 02:13 AM
Captain

Is there a fish and chips place on other ships? I haven't noticed one but hopefully there is.

AKcruiser

Old May 4th, 2005, 06:17 AM
First Mate

Location: Near Liz's favourite home, Windsor Castle, Berkshire, U.K.
Default Re: Re: glory fish 'n chips

Hi all,

Here in England, fish and chips is a big traditional favourite and usually the fish is cod fried in batter and served with boiling hot chips and what we call 'mushy peas'

You then sprinkle your fish and chips with plenty of salt and vinegar - tartare sauce is usually held back for scampi and gourgons etc and you have your traditional british fish and chip supper.

You can obviusly also have haddock and plaice but cod is the staple fish.

Yes, and they always taste so much better if eaten straight out of the bag sitting by the open coast.

When our American friends come over in a couple of weeks for the first (of many then say) trips to England, this is high on their list.

Regards,

KG
Old May 10th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: glory fish 'n chips

My husband cant wait to get the the fish and chips. He hopes it reminds him of his trips to England. He absolutely loves them. When you say it is on the second floor what deck are we talking about? The lido Deck?

Thanks
Michele
Old May 10th, 2005, 03:37 PM
ToddinCanada

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: glory fish 'n chips

Fish and Chips can be hard to find. It is on Deck 9, Lido. You have to go into the Red Sail Restaurant, past the buffet and find the stairs leading up on flight, and there it will be. It is not a huge place either. But worth seeking out!

To the other poster who wondered about this restaurant being on other ships I can say that I am fairly certain that Fish and Chips exists, probably under another name however, on all ships of this class. (What class is this ship? I can't remember. Spirit class?)
Old May 10th, 2005, 04:16 PM
Admiral

Conquest class.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old May 10th, 2005, 08:09 PM
jljlinda

Fish 'n chips also on the Valor ( Mar 2005)
Old May 10th, 2005, 08:46 PM
BoosterMom

KImmiegirl:

Loved your post about England. My husband and I honeymooned in London in 1980 and took our daughters back there three years ago during the summer. Stayed two weeks. We could easily move there. Both girls want to do a study abroad in London during college or grad school. Yes, I will go and visit them!!!

I remember getting fish and chips back in 80 at a little stand and they wrapped them all up in newspaper. Greasy, hot and I poured on the malt vinegar. On the chips too. I still like my "french fries" with malt vinegar rather than ketchup. I was so cold on that trip. It snowed in London and the fish and chips stayed warm while we walked around to the Tower of London, Imperial War Museum, and of course the other touristy stops! My favorite........the barn where the queens horses, cars and carriages are kept. Couldn't get near her, but I petted her horses!
Old May 11th, 2005, 08:35 AM
First Mate

Location: Near Liz's favourite home, Windsor Castle, Berkshire, U.K.
Default Re: Re: glory fish 'n chips

Dear Boostermom,

Thanks for that - lovely to hear you enjoy England and especially London so much. Yes, it sure can rain here sometimes and be cold (not like North East U.S. though) - that would be way too cold for me!!!

Interesting question for you, did you find it very expensive over here. I am sure our friends will when they come over in 10 days time, especially as the pound is so strong against the dollar at the moment. I just hope the cost of everything over here doesn't put them off wanting to come back again.

I know that whenever we go over to the U.S., we always think it seems so cheap in comparison to what we have to pay for everything, especially fuel and food/eating out. No wonder they reckon that in America, 8 out of every 10 meals are eaten outside of the home, makes sense at those prices and the meals are so huge!

Also, what tourist thing did you enjoy the most in London, buckingham Palace, The Tower, Houses of Parliament or just all of them

Nice to hear from you.

Kind regards,
KG