Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 4th, 2005, 03:12 PM
cruisinfan

Default why does carnival sometimes upgrade your cabin?

I'm just wondering why some people end up with a free cabin upgrade. Don't get me wrong, I think it is wonderful. But I thought that when you book a cruise you take what is available. For example, say you are booking your cruise and you want an interior room and there are no more left, don't you just have to suck it up and pay for an exterior? Or do they go ahead and let you book that interior cabin and then upgrade another passenger to the exterior cabin? I am just wondering how they decide who to upgrade.
Sponsored Links
Old May 4th, 2005, 03:26 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: why does carnival sometimes upgrade your cabin?

I'm sure somebody else will have a more accurate response but I think it's first come first serve and how many times you've cruised. Oh, and how early you book. We've booked 6 months in advance or more and have gotten an upgrade every time. Last time we booked an interior and received an ocean view. If 2900 people all book a cat 4a, somebody's gotta move up! I just wish I could get that upgrade fairy would give us the suite!!! <just kidding guys!>

Holiday May 2000
Old May 4th, 2005, 03:33 PM
browezilla

In a nutshell, it is to fill the ship. Ships sell out from bottom and top toward the middle. The middle cabins are more expensive than the bottom/inside cabins. If the ship isn't selling out, then the open cabins are likely to be in the middle. Bargain shoppers are less likely to buy them. In order to sail with a full ship, cruise lines "reward" the early bookees by moving them toward these middle cabins, and thereby giving them "lower-end" rooms to sell to the public again, which bargain hunters may purchase.

Thank's my theory anyway :-)
Old May 4th, 2005, 04:07 PM
Admiral

When I booked my cruise for my DH and I for last December 12th, I booked a certain cabin, E136 on the Fantasy. When we checked in we were told that we had been put in a different cabin. We didn't realize until we went to the cabin that we had been upgraded from an oceanivew cabin to a penthouse suite with balcony. Being this was our first cruise, we were very, very excited. I booked the cruise about 6 months in advance. I did mention when I made the reservations that the cruise was for our 20th wedding anniversary. Maybe that helped????? Whatever happened was fine by me.

Old May 4th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: why does carnival sometimes upgrade your cabin?

Hi Nolou, way cool! we booked our cruise 353 days in adavance and asked for adjoining cabins w/ oceanview...going with teenage daughters...maybe we'll be upgraded...already got docs...what are the odds ya think? Thanks so much..we are also 20 years married...deserve to best room on the ship I say!!! Faith
Old May 4th, 2005, 08:22 PM
Bmaintz

We are booked on the Conquest for Oct. 30th on 4A inside, I read if you take the military discount that your upgrades may not take place.... Was on the bow of the Conquest last cruise (Nov.), what a ride in rough seas (& I was in the Navy)..!!! ... Going to try & get a middle cabin this cruise..... Bob & Kathy
Old May 4th, 2005, 08:46 PM
rugbymike

Ready for this? This how it was explained to me by a Carnival employee.

Cancellations run at a steady 7%. That's right, 7% of people cancel before the cruise date. Now those 7%, unless they have insurance that covers MOST reasons for not cruising, get hit with a penalty fee. This fee that is collected from all the cancellations cannot be reported as revenue and are instead applied towards other people who have already booked and paid for their cruise. The fee can run anywhere from $200-$500. You are also only eligible for this type upgrade if you do NOT pick your cabin and instead opt for "TBA"

My girlfriend and I are FIRST time cruisers and paid $920 for a 7A, obstructed view balcony (TBA on the uppper deck) 3 months prior to departure. 3 weeks after booking were upgraded and assigned a cabin. Now we are in a $1200 balcony on the verandah deck.

We sale this Sunday on the Miracle.

Cheers, Mike
Old May 4th, 2005, 08:51 PM
Admiral

Mike--read my post above. I picked cabin E136 on the Empress deck when I made my reservations. We were still upgraded to cabin U107, a penthouse suite on the Upper deck. Maybe something happened that we lucked out and got the suite even though I picked a specific cabin. All I know is I had a great cabin (suite) and a super balcony.

Old May 5th, 2005, 10:53 AM
rugbymike

Hey Cheryl. The plot thickens it would seem. Figures....evrytime I think I've collected enough details to figure something out, I get thrown a Curt Schilling curveball. Thanks for adding to my collective facts.

And yes, GO SOX!!!

-Mike (Watertown, MA)
Old May 5th, 2005, 11:15 AM
Admiral

Mike--my husband grew up in Watertown and most of his family stills lives there.

Old May 5th, 2005, 03:17 PM
Admiral

Your chances of being upgraded if you book a gty. (TBA) cabin are greater than if you book a specific cabin. Although as nolou says, upgrades DO happen to folks that book a specific cabin.

Some of the seasoned cruisers on this board explained it to me as follows:

1. Gty bookings;
2. Bookings made far in advance;
3. Repeat cruisers

all in some magic combination mean greater chance of an upgrade.

We have been upgraded both times on Carnival and both times we booked a gty. Once from a 4A to a 4D and once from an oceanview to a balcony.

This time we booked an aft extended specific cabin, so I actually don't WANT an upgrade - unless of course they want to offer me the penthouse!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old May 7th, 2005, 01:17 AM
Rossana

Mike How did you find out three weeks after booking what cabin you were in? We went on the Pride in April and we didn't find out what cabin we had until check in. We are going on the new Liberty in sept to Europe and have already booked so I hope we get a good upgrade. We did take the military discount and she told me we were being upgrade 5 levels(?) but were still interior. I'm keeping my fingers crossed we do better. By the way with the military discount the 12 day cruise in Europe included taxes etc only comes out to be 1,450.00. There is no way you can see Europe for anywhere close to that these days.