Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 6th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Drinking on Carnival Cruise Lines

to familycruiser---I think this is the first time we have agreed on a post. Oh no, where's the fun in that!!! <VBG>

Old May 6th, 2005, 11:40 AM
Easy Goer

Cheryl,

You are mistaken about the facts.

1) The original poster is not a child. He states clearly in his first sentence that he is an adult. ("I'm 18 . . .").

2) No illegal activity is being contemplated. Again, the original poster states specifically he is interested in having a drink on the high seas ("I know that even in international waters . . ."). No law prohibits him from drinking in international waters.

This is a case of an adult looking for a way for a rule to be waived. Asking Carnival to waive their rule seems the most logical path.

Tim
Old May 6th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Admiral

He states he is 18 and that he is underage. Right there he knows what he is about to ask is wrong. (No where does he state that he is an adult.) He may be 18 but not an adult as far as the drinking age goes.

As for international waters, unless he plans on swimming behind the ship, (then he would be "IN" international waters) he CANNOT drink on the cruise ship.

Asking is fine, but again, if he were to cause serious damage to himself, someone else or the ship, who is responsible? You have not answered that question even though a few people have asked. I would hope that the Carnival is not stupid enough to waive the rule, knowing what damage could come to their reputation if a major problem happens.

This is a case of an underage drinker, presumably with or going to get a fake ID (also illegal) trying to drink on a cruise ship, where he shouldn't be drinking. PERIOD. Not someone looking for a rule to be changed.

Old May 6th, 2005, 12:21 PM
Easy Goer

Cheryl,

He is an adult, period, whether he says it or not. He is responsible for his actions, of course. (Who else would be?).

And of course he is underage. Carnival's drinking age is 21. If they agree to change it for him, then he is not underage anymore. Period. And if they agree to change it, then drinking won't be wrong. Problem solved. I'm merely suggesting he ask.

Tim
Old May 6th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Admiral

Tim--we could go back and forth about this issue until this kid turns 21. Let's just hope and agree that if somehow he is allowed to drink on the ship, NOTHING goes wrong.

Now excuse me while I go pour myself a drink.

Wishing you a wonderful and safe weekend.

Post Edited (05-06-05 12:54)
Old May 6th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Admiral

Tink63--when I was 18, oh so long ago, the drinking age was 18.

Old May 6th, 2005, 01:25 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Drinking on Carnival Cruise Lines

And were you a responsible 18 year old drinker? I was, but I did drive after drinking like everyone else did back then. I think that this young man is at least not planning to drive. He will be on a ship, and will not be doing harm to anyone.

I'd rather he be on that ship drinking than on land trying to drive himself home!!!!

Old May 6th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to ickletarakins

I think everyone that is arguing over this is missing the point.

On Royal Caribbean ships, parents can give their children permission to drink wine and beer while the ships are in international waters. Carnival, at some point in time, agreed that for the safety and enjoyment of all of its guests, no one under 21 would be able to drink on their ships. Coming from someone who has worked in a bar--if someone under 21 had ever tried to bribe me into giving them a drink, and I took the bribe and that person got caught, I would have gotten in a LOT of trouble. Therefore, I doubt that someone who works on the cruise ship would take a bribe...and I wouldn't suggest that Anthony try to bribe anyone, anyway, because all they have to do is report him to their boss and yes, he CAN get in trouble. Other bartenders where I used to work got bribes every once in a while, and most of the time, they reported the person who was trying to bribe them,s o that that person could not get them or any of their coworkers in trouble. Rules are rules and they are there for a reason.

However, I also do not think it's fair that everyone is assuming that, because Anthony is 18, he does not know how to drink responsibly and would therefore do something to endanger himself or others if he was allowed to drink. We all know that the United States has a huge problem with underage drinking...but in my opinion, it doesn't become a problem until kids do stupid things like drink and drive. Yes, that does happen, but people over 21 do that also...in fact, I know many people who have gotten drunk in publics and DUIs, from when I was in college--and all of them were over 21 when they got in trouble.

I think we all just need to agree to end this silly thread with the final statement that Anthony should not try to drink on the ship. He will have the opportunity to do so while the ship is in port, and if he so chooses, he should drink then and only then. He obviously hasn't come back here to respond to any of this anyway, so who is to say he's even reading it anymore? It just seems kind of pointless to keep arguing about it.

-Carnival Valor Western Caribbean Cruise, June 2005
-Sapphire Princess Voyage of the Glaciers Alaska Cruise, May 2008

Old May 6th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Easy Goer

Thanks Cheryl, hope you have a good weekend too.

Tim
Old May 6th, 2005, 01:44 PM
Admiral

Tink63--yes I was a responsible drinker and like you I did on sometimes drink and drive. Luckily nothing ever happened. Just seems like more emphasis is placed on kids nowadays because of the number of underage drinking. I do agree that I too would rather (even if I don't agree) have him on the ship drinking than in a car.

Wishing you a safe and happy weekend.

Old May 6th, 2005, 05:37 PM
Anthony Dorsey

this is hilarious. You people that try to argue on this thread have no lives. I'm responsible, and I am going on this cruise with my mother and father and aunt and uncle, as well as 3 of my friends (Senior trip). My dad has told me that he would gladly buy me drinks, and buckets of beer, whatever the hell they have. The thing is, if he buys 1 drink for me, then my other friends would want one too. He doesn't mind us drinking, i just dont feel like annoying the hell out of him every 10 minutes to buy us drinks. I want him to enjoy his time on the cruise just as much as I will. I don't have anywhere to drive, so drop that part.

As for not drinking, sure i can do that and have fun, but why not have MORE fun while you are drinking. Try that one on for size.

Anyways, thanks for those of you who answered my questions, and those who didn't, have a nice day, i know i will once i step foot on my cruise and begin my "illegal" drinking.
Old May 6th, 2005, 06:58 PM
Admiral

Travel irons or any type iron is a serious fire hazard and should not be brought onboard. I don't think I have ever actually seen the rule prohibiting them but at the very least it is an unwritten rule.
Jim

Old May 6th, 2005, 07:13 PM
Admiral

Okay, I have deleted many posts on this. First off it isn't anyones business but his and CCL's who hew is going with. He asked a question and many replied that they would not help him or encourage him to drink and that the drinking age on CCL was 21. That should be the end of it for crying o7ut loud! Now you are arguing back and forth and frankly some posts were nasty not to mention silly. Tim, none of what you say is possible, won't happen and can't happen. Just because a person is not 21 does not mean he/she is irresponsible not does it mean that people over 21 car responsible drinkers. The only thing that matters are the current rules, like them or not. I remember wel when I was under 21 and was fighting a freaking war with the possibility of losing my life for this country yet I could not drink legally or vote. Didn't like that idea much and frankly still don't. Maybe military should be exempt, I don't know. The fact remains that the rules are in place and should be followed and we will not encourage or help anyone participate in umlawful behaviour weather we agree with the rules or not. Anything else is moot. Now that is being adult and reasonable.
Jim

Old May 6th, 2005, 07:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Scubarick Send a message via Yahoo to Scubarick

Anthony....I just got back from the Carnival Destiny like 3 weeks ago heres what my experiences were.....I was in Puerto Rico the night before the cruise..I went to the store and bought 4 bottles of Captain Morgan at $8.50 each. I then went back to the hotel and wraped them in clothing and put them in my suitcase along with a flask size bottle of Vodka I picked up.....the next morning we went to the pier and that afternoon when I got my bags all my bottles were in my suit case.....as people say they do Xray the bags but most of the time they are too busy to really check them, what we were told by the porter was booze wasnt what they were looking for....what they were looking for was guns, knives and anything else that could cause harm to any other passanger. So even tho they say no outside booze if you can hide it your good...just dont try to walk on the ship holding 2 bags of duty free booze THIS WILL GET TAKEN AWAY, and heres a good saying for all of us cruisers to follow by when getting back on the ship from port with booze. (IF ITS IN PLAIN SIGHT.....ITS THERES TILL THE LAST NIGHT) hahaha ok back to the cruise. I have been told in the past and read past posts that people have been carded I was served at the Captains Cocktail party and at the Repete Cruisers party and never once was asked for ID, I am 20. One night in the Karoake Lounge I ordered drinks and I told the bartender I wanted One Virgin Strawberry Daquir and One Virgin Miami Vice, I ordered them Virgin because I had a flask that was now full of Cruzan Estate Rum that I picked up in a gift shop in St. Thomas. But she made the drinks and then served us, took my Sail and Sign Card and then was like you cant have those they have alcochol in them, She apparently did not hear me so I was like I did order them Virgin but you did not hear me I guess, she typed something into her computer and printed a recipet out and that was it. So it is possible to get drinks being under the age of 21. What she did was charge me for the drinks as "Virgins" and then put a "$2" bar charge on there. So there is ways to cheat the system. I have the reciept somewhere. Just about anyport you get off in there is going to be Rum sold everwhere. If you buy the flask size bottles that are glass with a Plastic top there will be no problem walking threw the metal detector, just make sure you wear some baggy shorts so you can fit a few in each pocket and take out all metal objects so you dont set it off and they dont find it. Also if anybody reading this gets cabin 6251 on the Carnival Destiny if you disassemble the couch there is a half full bottle of Captain Morgan Spice Rum hidden in there lol. Any questions feel free to contact me at Scubadivercny1 on AIM.

Rick
Old May 6th, 2005, 09:49 PM
Admiral

Jim here is the written rule on irons.
Irons are prohibited by Carnival. Please see the Carnival website link below:
http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/What_NOT_to_Pack.aspx
Old May 6th, 2005, 10:07 PM
Admiral

Anthony---whatever you choose do to or not to do on your cruise, I wish you and your family & friends a fun, safe and responsible time. Please be careful if you do decide to drink.

Old May 7th, 2005, 04:51 PM
Yeoman

Hmmmmm, he states he's responsible but he wants to order a drink every 10 minutes? Thats 6 drinks and hour which equals pass out time after the second hour which may also lead to a few trips to the throne to talk to RALPH. Wants a fake I.D., sneak liqour on board. Sounds like a lot of fun to me, also very responsible.
Old May 7th, 2005, 06:15 PM
Anthony Dorsey

Thanks Rick, youve been the most help ive gotten on this post. Ive gotten my answers, no more replies are necessary. I can't wait to smuggle all of this alcohol on board and throw up all over the place and hopefully jump off the side railing.

If I don't post on here when i get back, then send the coast guard for a drunken overboard.
Old May 8th, 2005, 11:00 AM
Admiral

Thanks BW. I know it is a very stupid thing to do and I always tell people never to do it but had actually not seen it written down until you pointed it out to me, thanks again for the info. Anthony, I am sorry that you have these opinions but that is you and I hope you grow up and become more responsible without getting hurt or hurting others. Not going to judge you as you might really be a great guy, I just wish you the best as I think you are wrong in this area.
Jim

Old May 28th, 2005, 01:20 AM
Michie

Listen to me. I turned 21 last August, and I sailed on the Fascination last April. I was on with family, and my dad would order me a drink at the bar. The lady asked me "are you 21?" and I said yes. I was served every time. Never had to show an ID, however, I never tried to get alcohol by myself. Now my best friend and I sailed on the Imagination with my parents in 2000, and I was 16 and she was 17. We both ordered mudslides thinking they would be virgins but when we got them we soon realized that they weren't!!! It's so easy to get drinks on there, just have someone who is willing to order it for you and you'll be on your way....or meet some older friends!!! ;o)
Old May 28th, 2005, 08:24 AM
Passenger

Anthony, just some advice, i have been on serveral Carnival Cruises, and the first two i wish i could go back and do them all over again, i would drink from 9am to late in the night., and wake up the next morning and feel sick and having know idea what i have done that night. I did ruin my first two cruises from drinking. Now when my wife and i cruise i have a drink or two at night and wake up the next morning feeling good and ready for the day. Its up to you to drink our not, but i look at this way why spend all that money on a vacation and ruin it and probably ruin it for your parents.

Just my thoughts
Old May 28th, 2005, 09:10 AM
Beginner

NOW WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO GO AND DO SOMETHING SO DISHONEST?

IF THIS IS YOUR FIRST CRUISE ,... DO IT RIGHT.... GROW FROM THE EXPERIENCE.

ASKING SUCH A QUESTION NOT ONLY REFLECTS YOUR CHARACTOR IN A BAD LIGHT... BUT IT ALSO SHOWS YOU HAVE TO REGAURD FOR THE SHIP EMPLOYEE WHO WILL LOOSE HIS JOB RIGHT THEN AND THERE... SHOULD HE BE REPORTED . HE WOULD BE REMOVED FROM THE SHIP AT THE FIRST STOP AND SENT BACK TO HIS HOMELAND... NEVER TO WORK A CRUISE LINE AGAIN.

THESE PEOPLE ALL BUT SPILL THEIR BLOOD TO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A WONDERFULL TIME

AND YOU CAUSE A CREW MEMBER TO REMOVED FROM HIS POSITION FOR SOMETHING AS YOU ASK... I ASSURE.... YOU..... YOU WILL BE LEAVING THE SHIP AS WELL.

SO GROW UP RESPECT THE SYSTEM.
Old May 29th, 2005, 12:19 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Mattp

my oh my
Old May 29th, 2005, 10:03 AM
Cruise Maniac

I'm just amazed that a person can post a request for suggestions on how to break the law and CM allows the post to remain posted....plus, receive responses. Whats next? A new item on Practice Advice - first time criminals?

CM - take some responsibility here.
Old May 29th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Cougar

js2003 just FYI ... drinking in international waters isn't against the law at any age. The 21 drinking age is u.s. STATE laws.