Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 7th, 2005, 06:48 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2
Default Drinking on a cruise

We see many posts on how to "sneak" liquor aboard a ship. these posts seem to bring a lot of discussion. I cannot help but wonder why people find drinking to be so important on a cruise.I am not talking about the person who drinks a glass of wine or a few drinks. I am talking about those that drink way too much and call it fun. I cannot imagine that the next morning is fun at all.Why waste a day of a wonderful vacation being sick with a hangover? Don't get this wrong, I am not on a mission to stamp out drinking I am just curious as to why it is so important to some. Nor am I taking a moral position on this. My feeling is that what others do is their business unless they endanger innocent people. Any discussion?

Laura

Post Edited (05-07-05 15:31)
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Sponsored Links
Old May 7th, 2005, 08:03 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Drinking on a cruise

I've said this before on other posts - I really find it amazing the lengths that people will go to save a few bucks on their trip, by carrying on cases of beer, bottles of liquor, etc.

People rationalize it by saying that otherwise they will have a huge bar tab on the s&s card. I don't think I could run up that large of a bar bill even if I tried.

When I travel, I figure on a drink or two during the course of the day, a glass or two of wine with dinner, and maybe a couple later in the evening at a show.

And I certainly am not about to stash beer in my suitcase to avoid buying it on board.
Old May 7th, 2005, 01:50 PM
Bmaintz

Just a "few" will make it miserable for others...... The "Rednecks" who could care less who they effect.... Carnival should throw them off of the ship after a couple of complaints.... On the other hand Carnival makes a lot of money on the drinks..... I will stick to my hot chocalate......
Old May 7th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to ickletarakins

Bmaintz--I wouldn't call them "Rednecks". The idea of what a "Redneck" is certainly does not include every person who wants to go on a cruise just to get trashed all the time. I listen to country music, live in southwest Virginia, drive a big truck, like fishing and bonfires, and enjoy having a few drinks a couple nights a week. That doesn't mean that I'm going to go on a cruise and make a fool out of myself.

Sorry, I just really don't like stereotyping.

Anyway, I'm with you, Cruznut...I want to enjoy myself and have a few drinks, but what is the point of getting trashed every day??? You most likely will be hungover half the time, and you probably won't remember much about what could have been a wonderful vacation. Ah well, let's just assume that the majority of people aren't THAT concerned with drinking constantly, and promise ourselves that we will not let people like that ruin our vacations! :o)
Old May 7th, 2005, 08:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Here's the reason. There are some people who come to associate a great time with alcohol and can not imagine having fun without. There is a certain thrill in "getting away with" bringing alcohol on board. These folks are basically stuck in their teens and are socialy immature (that sounds harsh, but so be it). I love the excuse that one needs to have a few drinks in the cabin before venturing out to save some $. Please. . .
Old May 7th, 2005, 09:20 PM
Admiral

I don't sneak alcohol on board, get ANY kind of drunk (much less falling down drunk) and can have a blast without drinking, but......

I really like being able to drink and know that I have a driver! It's great to know that if I do have 1 too many, I can walk to my room!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old May 7th, 2005, 09:32 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Drinking on a cruise

For every big sweet drink that I don't consume, I save enough calories for an extra dessert and $5 or so that can be used to help pay for another cruise,

I get a bigger high just from being out on deck and breathing the clean ocean air than I could ever get from a drink!

To each his own!
Old May 7th, 2005, 11:45 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to outdoors27

This is addressed to Roxteacher. I usually don't even bother responding to posts like this, because they are silly in my opinion, but the last party of what you wrote rubbed me the wrong way. You said,

" I love the excuse that one needs to have a few drinks in the cabin before venturing out to save some $. Please. . ."

Well hey, I guess we don't all make as much money as you do, but having a few glasses of nice wine in the cabin before dinner is always great, and yes it does save some money. I make plenty of money myself, but I have a hard time paying $45.00 for a botlle of wine I can get in Mass for $12.00 to $15.00. That is silly and a waste of money for us working folks. By the way $45.00 is not even for a great bottle on board the ship.

Every cruise I have been on since 1998 I have brought a few bottles of wine on board. My last trip being on the pride, last April. We brought 5 bottles of red wine on. We really didn't even try to sneak them on as I had two bottles in my backpack and my wife had one in hers with the other two in our lugauge. We both knew our stuff would be xrayed, but didn't really care.

Britanis 1985
Carnival Fantasy 1992
Carnival Destiny 1998
Carnival Destiny 1999
Carnival Victory 2002
Carnival Pride 2004
Carnival Valor 2005
Carnival Freedom 2011

Carnival Breeze (Hopefully June or July 2012)
Old May 8th, 2005, 06:42 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Drinking on a cruise

I don't think that bringing a few bottles of wine on board to enjoy with dinner is an issue. That seems fine to me, although I don't do it. The prices of wines on board are comparable to what I expect to pay in a restaurant, and yes, a bottle purchased in a restaurant for $45 or $50 can usually be gotten in a liqour store for about $15 or so.

I find troubling the people who feel the need to lug cases of beer on board (many of these with the pretense that the cruise ship does not carry the brand they drink - which of course begs the issue of being on vacation and being exposed to new things; perish the thought of 7 days without the regular brew) , or bottles upon bottles of hard liquor. It just seems way too much work for the sake of a few dollars, unless of course you are contemplating drinking 10 or 20 drinks a day - I can see where that would add up. Although, once again, I would never dream of having that many drinks and I admit, too, that the sight of an otherwise grown human being after they have consumed that much alcohol is usually neither visually appealing nor socially welcome.

To each their own, I suppose.
Old May 8th, 2005, 07:42 AM
Admiral

Hello Outdoors27, My post was not to make fun of anyone nor put anyone down for bringing some liquor on board for moderate drinking. I myself have brought wine aboard to take to the dining room for consumption at dinner. I too enjoy a drink or even 2 in the evening. I was just wondering about people wanting to "sneak" enough liquor on the ship to keep them and 20 of their best friends totally smashed the whole cruise. I just wonder why drinking is so important to them. There are so many fun activities to participate in who needs to drink so much to have fun? Curious as to why people associate being blitzed and having a huge head and upset stomach as having fun. The interesting thing about all of this is that so far there have been no responses to this question by those that do this.

Laura

Post Edited (05-08-05 07:47)
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old May 8th, 2005, 10:14 AM
Cruise Maniac

Cruznut - those who do this are least likely to recognize themselves.
Old May 8th, 2005, 10:44 AM
Admiral

Hey, don't so any sterotyping here please. I have only seen a few people really drunk onboard our 2 dozen cruises and only one would I consider a redneck. The other 6 or so were what most people would call 'yuppies' and those that are wealthy. Drunks come in all forms from very rich to homeless, white, black, straight, gay, male, female, and on and on. I also don't think anyone is upset or against those that wish to have a wine or even a drink in their cabin and even more so the brand they wish and the cruiseline does not carry. Most of us think that sneaking a case of more of Bud or hard liqour onboard just to save a few dollars is, well, stupid and not worth it. The savings are not more than $10 and if they are, then you need to address your drinking problem.
Jim

Old May 8th, 2005, 11:16 AM
Bmaintz

Wow, really getting heated here..... Just a question to cool things down..... You can bring on a bottle of specila wine, declare it (check-in) & they will serve it to you at the evening dinner (your name is on the bottle).... I can't remember what the charge $$$ is per glass served though, anybody know?______
Old May 8th, 2005, 11:34 AM
Captain

According to the Liguor policy in the brochure, there is a $10 corkage fee for wine brought on board at embarkation for those wishing to consume it in the diing room.

AKcruiser

Old May 8th, 2005, 07:10 PM
Bmaintz

That wouldn't be to bad if $10 was the max & not per drink served charge.....
Old May 9th, 2005, 11:50 AM
big apple

If $10 is the corkage fee do not complain as it is much higher on all the other lines and in many cases will charge at each port based on number of bottles brought on board and will be kept by the wine steward for consumption at dinner only.Never have been stoped on initial boarding any cruise line.
Old May 9th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Captain

Send a message via MSN to hockeyluver

I agree with Cruznut why pay all this money to go on a cruise to get sloshed all the time. A couple of drinks a night fine but to get so drunk you stumble all over the place that is just plain stupid IMO!!

Next up Elation Aug 23 '10
then the Miracle again Feb 7,2011
Miracle '10
Holiday '09
Legend '09
Triumph '08
Valor '07
Triumph '06
Fascination '04
Legend '03
Old May 9th, 2005, 04:20 PM
CAROUSEL

What I find is amazing is the fact all these people feel it is their business what other people do. I don't drink, but travel with friends who do. We have always had snacks and drinks in our cabins before going out for dinner or to other events. I sure hate to think our cabin is going to be accross the way from these people who are condeming everyone.
If the cruise ship was so worried about people drinking on board they sure would hand you a drink as soon as you board the ship. It would be hard to kick them off them ship when its your #1 moneymaker that got them in that condition to begin with.
Old May 9th, 2005, 05:39 PM
Bmaintz

That is my POINT.... They bother fellow cruisers by their drinking problem.... Give them 2 warnings & make them "walk the plank' !!!!!!!!!
Old May 11th, 2005, 04:39 AM
Admiral

Carousel, My original post was not judging or condemning anyone. I was simply wondering why drinking was so important to some people that they want to "sneak" aboard enough liquor to keep small army drunk for a week.

Laura

---Mark Twain

Old May 11th, 2005, 06:54 AM
jason d

Look i guess i have no room to really comment on this matter cause i have never been on a cruise yet,but june 26th is my honeymoon and we will be on the valor.I just wanted to say that i do ocassionally when i'm out with friends have a few too many and do the stumbling thing and if i'm on a beautiful white sandy island and clear blue water the hot sun and with the great people i hope to meet, i may have a few too many because of the great time i'm having and just forget about counting.I just hope noone holds it against me...i guess also to that i will go straight to bed and not try and go mingle.I might add it wont be a every night thing either....and for the record....i love guiness,i guess its an irish thing,but i wont try and bring 2 cases on board..
Old May 11th, 2005, 08:56 AM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to Chyna

I don't think anyone here is against anyone having something to drink onboard, the question was why do they feel a need to "sneak" it on board. I think someone said it best when they commented about feeling like they were being "bad" "naughty" and it was merely the "thrill" of the sneak. But I do have friends I know who chose to sneak hoards of liquor on board but it was because they just don't know when to quit drinking and really don't know that you can have a good time without drinking. I don't cruise with them because I don't like to babysit.

Old May 11th, 2005, 08:56 AM
Happy Camper

This post can go either way. At first I read it and thought - well the cost of the 2 bottles of wine I legally bring on board does save but I bring them on because the $12 bottle at home will cost more like $60-70 on board. The $5 bottle at home (which I don't bother to bring) costs $22 on board. I do buy more on board but I like to bring a few that are better quality and if I want more I buy the cheaper ones on board. BUT BUT BUT

On the other hand this post can be taken as this - one cruise on the Rhapsody we met 4 couples at different times that were new to cruising. Over the course of the cruise we would see them again and again and suggest things to do in the islands. Each time we saw them later we would ask what they did and they always responded that they were too hung over to go anywhere or they went to a bar like Carlos and Charles or Senior Forgs and didn't get anywhere after that. Personally if I want to go to a bar I can do that at home - I don't want to miss the beach and incredible water of Cozumel for a bar. BUT to each his own.... Debbie
Old May 12th, 2005, 10:35 AM
Passenger

I am one of those people that "sneak" liquor on board. I do not get stumbling drunk nor do I waste any days on hangovers. Last year my S&S charges were $300 and probably $200 of that was liquor for a 5 day cruise. If you have a couple drinks during the day laying by the pool and a few at night - it runs the tab up quite quickly and yet you are still not stumbling drunk.

So I will be taking a bottle on my next cruise in hopes of cutting that $200 down to $100.00. No doubt, they will still get some of my money because sometimes it is just easier to purchase a drink then going to the room to make one.

So it is not necessarily that anyone thinks that they have to "sneak" liquor on board so they can get smashed night after night. Not everyone gets drunk off of one or two drinks in a 15 hour day. Personally, I can drink many drinks in that period of time and never get drunk.
Old May 13th, 2005, 08:26 AM
AirWARRIOR71

just how much alcohol and how many ounces are the special glasses they sell and use for the drink of the day special? Just curious to what extent it may be worth my while to get one.
Gary in Ohio

(but on the Fantasy this sunday the 15th hehehe)
Old May 13th, 2005, 06:29 PM
Passenger

I have a couple of question for the wine afficionados here. I wanted to bring a bottle of wine to dinner one night, and share it with the table.

1) how many people are at a table in the dining room? Does it vary? I'll be on the Inspiration, if that helps.

2) what size bottle would we need for everyone to have a glass? 2 glasses?

Thanks in advance

Old May 13th, 2005, 07:30 PM
Boostermom

I wonder too if some of the people who sneak alcohol on board might not be underage?? maybe?? We have never taken any alcohol on board, but I have thought about it for our next cruise.......not to save money, but I sometimes like to have a glass of wine to sip on while getting dressed, drying hair, putting on makeup, etc. when going out for a nice evening. I consider going to the dining room on the ship a nice evening. I would consider taking some wine onboard for in the room, but I don't want to lug around a case of beer or several bottles of wine just for the luxury of having a glass of wine in the room. I've thought about a box or those little individual serving bottles.........but what will hubby do when he wants a cold draft?
Old May 13th, 2005, 08:37 PM
Admiral

MadScinentist, the table size can vary from as few as two to as many as 10. A table for 8 is the typical large table and many of the others are either 4 or 6. What size bottle do you need would just depend on the nuber of folks there and how much you pour in their glass. <G> That is a very nice gesture and many times people will recipacate and offer to buy some wine the next night and share it with you. Some will politely decline for any number of reasons. Some folks cannot drink red wine for instance like me. A sip of red will give me a terrible headache for some reason. I do drink white wine and usually like a lite white as do many people. If I were to bring a bottle to share that would be my first choice as it seems more popular.
Jim

Old May 13th, 2005, 09:41 PM
CherylR

In response to Gary about the Fun Ship Special, the type of drink changes each day and we usually make it a point to get one just to have the glass(plastic actually) as a souvenir. It is $6.95 and it looks to be about the equivalent of about a cup and a half of booze. If you don't get the souvenir cup, it is only $2.95 and in a smaller clear plastic cup. They dont' skimp on the booze in the drinks. One day I had a Mai Tai and 3 of the specials (sunset something) which were delicious. I am no booze hound either sneaking cases of beer and bottles of liquor, but we usually just fill up a couple plastic bottles with our favorite Appleton Rum to have a drink or two in our room occasionally before dinner or while relazing on our balcony. The rest of the time, whenever we want a drink, we don't worry about the price...we are there to have fun and we don't drink to the extent that we can't make it back to our cabin, and noone wants a massive hangover the next day that will ruin the whole next day or even prohibit you from going on your shore excursion. We just got back from the Valor on Sunday and I couldn't believe how empty the breakfast line was the next morning after our port stop at Cozumel and the lack of people on deck well into lunch time since they partied too much at Senior Frogs or Fat Tuesdays at Cozumel the night before!
Old May 14th, 2005, 02:49 PM
clu13

Hey Mad Scientist,

My first cruise was Inspiration and it ruined it for me since we had such a ridiculously good time that subsequent cruises have paled in comparison. You will have a blast.

A normal bottle of wine (750 ml) will provide 4-6 glasses. I don't think they sell 1.5 liters. The old rules about wine do not apply (red with red meat, white with fish/poultry), it is more about what you order. A light bodied white wine will go nicely with lighter foods. However, it will be overpowered by a rich/spicy dish, so you may want red, which will enhance the flavors of the meals. You will often hear that a Riesling or Fume Blanc has been dubbed the "picnic wine"of the year because you are generally dining light -- fruits, salads, etc. Depending upon the cruise line, you may be allowed to bring a couple of bottles on board and pay the corkage fee. I would recommend that since the cheapest wines are priced the highest in the most restaurants, etc. As you go up in the price, the differential dimishes. You can get a $20-$25 bottle of wine, bring it and pay the corkage fee or you can pay about $30+ for a $10 bottle - the same goes for wine by the glass -- the money is made after the first glass is poured, that's why an $8 bottle of Zin sells for $7.50 a glass -craziness. If you like white, bring it to the dining room about a hour early so that they can properly chill it.