Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 13th, 2005, 03:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default carry on luggage

My husband and I have never cruised before and we have one planned for June 25 on the Holiday. We would like to carry on our luggage. We have never flown so we don't know the size that carry on luggage should be. We are driving to the port. Could someone please tell us the size of luggage and I would assume that means "filled" not empty. Also, we have never flown so we don't know what size fits through scanners.
Thanks
Joy

Carnival Celebration
Holiday-2005
Sponsored Links
Old May 13th, 2005, 03:07 PM
Admiral

Default Re: carry on luggage

I think it is 12x22" or something like that. It isn't very big. They will tell you at the airline counter what will fit through the scanner and what will not. You will then know what you can carry on the sipe and what you can't. If it does not fit through the airport scanner and not allowed to be called a carry-on, then you can also not carry it on the cruiseship. You can carry on as many of the carry-on size as you wish on the ship but only one carry-on on the plane.
Jim

Old May 13th, 2005, 03:10 PM
Passenger

I'm sorry I don't know the size of the luggage, but have a wonderful time on the Holiday. I assume that you live close since you will be driving in. We are from the north east side of Birmingham and went on the Holiday last year. We have already booked for July 9th (if anyone else is on the cruise let me know) and Oct 24th. Sorry I couldn't help you with you question, but have a great time.

I don't know how you will be able to pack enough stuff in the bags that you can carry on. I always overpack.

Terri
Old May 13th, 2005, 03:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

No we don't live close to Mobile. We live in North Carolina, but we are renting an RV to drive in. I was hoping to get by with just some carry on's but it looks like I'll need more. Oh darn!!!! I guess I'll just get some more new luggage!! I wanted some anyway!!! Oh it will take us about 10/12 hrs to get there but we intend to party all the way!
Joy

Carnival Celebration
Holiday-2005
Old May 13th, 2005, 04:38 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to DPMinc

Where do you plan on parking that RV?

Paul

Norwegian Dream, Sun, Spirit
Royal Caribbean Grandeur/Sea
Old May 13th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Bmaintz

We cruised on the Conquest in 2003 & were wet behind the ears.... We packed everything except the kitchen sink.... NEVER AGAIN.... We elected to roll off all our lugauge for early check off, so there we were rolling 2 large bags with 2 medium bags tied on top & 3 carryalls plus a garmet bag.... Luguage kept tipping over & I was a little frustrated from it all..... We liked the early roll off because our daughter was able to pick us up at the terminal fast (we cordinated through our cell phones)..... The Conquest has Laundry rooms with irons & boards.... Soap & shampoo is free in the showers, even a toothbrush & toothpaste...... Now I am speaking from exeperience from the Conquest..... Do a search on "luguage / Holiday" to glean more information..... Bo & Kathy
Old May 13th, 2005, 05:30 PM
SusanCruiser

Here are Delta's rules about luggage which are likely similar to other airlines. You are allowed to board with one carry-on and one personal item (as described below):

Delta Baggage Policy for Domestic and International Travel. Delta will accept a maximum of two (2) checked bags free of charge for each ticketed passenger. Baggage within the domestic checked baggage allowance may not exceed 50lbs/22.6kg and not exceed 62in/158cm total (sum of length, width, height). Baggage within the international checked baggage allowance may not exceed 70lbs/32kg and not exceed 62in/158cm total (sum of length, width, height). Items over size limitations or in excess of the weight limits printed above and up to 100lbs/45kg will be charged an excess baggage fee. Items in excess of 100lbs/45kg will not be accepted as checked baggage. Additional baggage which meets checked baggage limitations will be accepted for an additional fee.

Carry-on baggage is limited to one (1) carry-on piece plus one (1) personal item. One carry-on is defined as an item which cannot exceed 45in/114cm total (sum of length, width, height) and / or weigh more than 40lbs/18kg and must fit under the seat in front of the passenger or in the overhead compartment. One personal item is defined as one of the following items: male or female purse, briefcase, computer bag/laptop, diaper bag, camera case or an item of similar size. In addition, customers may carry personal aid devices upon which they are dependent. Other restrictions may apply.
Old May 13th, 2005, 06:28 PM
Admiral

Hi JoyL,

I copied this from the Carnival web site:

For security purposes, Carnival limits the size of hand-carry luggage to 11"X 17" which is the dimension of the opening of the X-ray security machine (similar to those at the airport); there is no measurement for length as the hand-carry luggage will lay flat on the conveyer belt. Luggage larger than 11"X 17" will not be permitted through the security machine and must be checked-in with a curbside porter. Once on the ship, the luggage will be delivered to the guests' stateroom by 7:00pm that night.

Have a wonderful cruise!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old May 13th, 2005, 08:31 PM
CherylR

For a 5 day cruise, I wish you luck trying to fit enough in just 2 carry-on bags! If you can do it, you should keep in mind that you may come back with extra souvenirs, etc that will take up alot of room in your bags. Have a great cruise!!