Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 16th, 2005, 12:43 PM
Leanne

Default Cruising During Hurricane Season!!!

Can anyone tell me of any experiences you may have had cruising during hurricane season? I am going on the Valor on September 18 (right in the middle of hurricane season) and I just (literally 2 minutes ago!!!!) opened the MSN.com homepage and saw an article saying that the hurricane prediction centers are predicting 3-5 major hurricanes this season!!

I have the vaction insurance but has anyone ever had their cruise cancelled, especially last year with all the hurricanes?

I probably should not have booked in September but it was the only time that I could cruise this year and I have to cruise!!!

Thanks!!

Leanne
Sponsored Links
Old May 16th, 2005, 01:04 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to DPMinc
Default Re: Cruising During Hurricane Season!!!

Cruiselines will/would decide what to do about a storm approaching, on a cas by case basis. I had friends booked on the Glory, they were to do a 7 day cruise, but ended up on a 5 day cruise and they got partial refund, on board credit, and 1/2 off next cruise. That is not the case in every event, but when a storm is approaching, watch the website for the cruise line, and let the cruiseline tell you what will happen, cause if you cancel YOU are out of luck.

Paul

Norwegian Dream, Sun, Spirit
Royal Caribbean Grandeur/Sea
Old May 16th, 2005, 01:38 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Paralegal

My boyfriend and I did a cruise the last week in September of 2004. We were affected by Hurricane Jeanne. We were originally booked on a 7 day E. Caribbean cruise on the Triumph. We didn't find out that Carnival had changed our itinerary and the day of departure until late Friday afternoon. Our cruise was supposed to be from Sat. to Sat. out of Miami. We ended up leaving Monday for a 5 day W. Caribbean cruise. Carnival gave us a 30% refund, on that cruise, and a $100pp shipboard credit. Of course the hotel that we booked for Friday night would not let me cancel, without losing my deposit. So, we drove to Ft. Lauderdale Friday night and then to Miami for Sat and Sun. night. We made reservations for Miami before we left. We live in Orlando and originally thouhgt it would be nice to do the drive in 2 days instead of doing the 3.5-4hr drive the day of the cruise.
Old May 16th, 2005, 02:14 PM
rosetattoo

We also cruised last September in the middle of all the hurricanes that hit south Florida...our 7 night cruise left as scheduled to the eastern Caribbean and we made it to San Juan and St. Thomas but St. Maarten was cancelled because a hurricane was approaching so they re-routed us to Nassau where we had a beautiful sunny day to enjoy Senor Frogs.
Old May 16th, 2005, 04:23 PM
DENISE H

we cruise after the hurricane last year the only problem we had was one of our ports
of call was change because they had damage to the port after the hurricane the rest of the was great
Old May 16th, 2005, 05:15 PM
Admiral

We have cruised many times in late August with no problems. Last year we cruised the first week of September, Hurricane Frances was still far away. Then she hit land and stayed. We sailed out of Port Canaveral but had to disembark in Miami because too much damage at Port Canaveral. Our 7 day cruise turned into a 9 day cruise and everyone missed their flights home. We did have travel insurance and they paid for our hotel and 2 meals. We have never missed a port in 14 cruises..."knocking on wood" We are sailing on the LIberty the end of November, after hurricane season but will still have travel insurance.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old May 16th, 2005, 05:20 PM
Don Smith

Hazel took our house in 1954, Hugo put a tree in my roof in 1989. This October I am cruising to not have to worry about the home.
Old May 16th, 2005, 08:39 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Cruising During Hurricane Season!!!

My husband and I always cruise in October. We have had one occasion but not a hurricane. Going to Key wesst we had 40 to 50 ft. waves. What a night that was.
Michele

till Glory days on the Glory
Old May 16th, 2005, 09:19 PM
Admiral

We cruised last September and are cruising again this September. It's a good time of year for us and it's also cheap!

We were supposed to do Western Caribbean and ended up doing an abbreviated Eastern. Cruises are rarely cancelled, but re-routed instead.

Cruise insurance is a great idea and a good attitude helps a lot, too!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old May 17th, 2005, 07:46 AM
Cruise Maniac

The ships will still go.... BUT your problem will be getting into Florida..... if you are flying, I suggest you make your flight for 3 days ahead honestly. If you are driving I would start driving 2 days a head to arrive here.

I am in Orlando and last year's hurricanes shut down the airport for DAYS on in and there was a time when the National Guard regardless of reason unless you had a FL DL was NOT letting people in the state.
Old May 17th, 2005, 08:18 AM
Happy Camper

We usually cruise in hurricane season because it is cheaper and we have usually hit, missed ports, or had bad seas with hurricanes but all and all for the money and opportunity to sail that is fine with us... Typically they will not cancel and it is the first I've heard them actually changing the day the ship left - 9 nights instead of 7 and 5 instead of 7 - last year - usually the timing isn't on a weekend that will effect the ships but the ships have to sail - if they are in port they can get a lot of damage. Usually you will have high seas and maybe a day or two of rain trying to get around the storm and that may make you miss or change ports with tendering or ports that got hit by the hurricane and are damaged but that is all.... Have fun! It really is kind of neat to be on board and see how the ocean reacts - they have to stay a long way from the hurricane so you should be safe and we have always felt safe. Now that rouge wave that hit the NCL Dawn would have been really neat - since it didn't sink... Debbie
Old May 17th, 2005, 08:30 PM
First Mate

I have cruised 3 hurricane seasons and only missed one port that was the grand cayman last year. Recived some on board credit for missed port. Going again this year.
Not sure if getting on the ship in Flordia is a smart thing for me to do. But It is worth a try.

Destiny,Rhapsody ,Conquest x2
Old May 18th, 2005, 10:25 AM
bjkeen

I am in Florida. There is already a tropical disturbance coming from the Pacific into the Gulf of Mexico. We are expecting a lot rain in Florida this weekend. I am a native and I find a disturbance this early in the season odd. In the past, I do not remember a tropical disturbance in May. September and October are the most active hurricane months. I have friends who always cruise during the hurricane season. I know a couple who were on a cruise during one of the hurricanes last fall. I asked her how was the weather? She said, "Our ship just stayed out to sea a couple of extra days." She said the ship stayed away from the bad weather.

I always purchase travel insurance too.
Old May 18th, 2005, 11:12 AM
Cruise Maniac

BJKEEN! OMG! The radio up here is making a very big deal about this first storm of the season and kinda scarying people already! (In Orlando)
Old May 18th, 2005, 11:49 AM
Admiral

We have almost always cruised during hurricane season and have yet to have any problems! Very lucky in that reguard I guess. It was only very recently that any cruises have actually been cancelled and those were the ones to Bermuda and to the Bahamas but that was because this was the only ports and those places werte being directly hit at the time. They usually just change itinararies and if necessary have changed departing or arriving ports but offer free transportation to them from the original port. That nimber of cruises that have been affected that way you can count on one hand. Go for it as the chances are you will not have a problem, just remember to arrive a day early in case you fly in.
Jim

Old May 18th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Leanne

Thanks for all the replies! I will be keeping my fingers crossed!
Old May 21st, 2005, 05:21 AM
Cruzn Buckeye

Default Re: Re: Cruising During Hurricane Season!!!

We have been on 14 cruises....most have been hurricane season.

Fantasy - August 1993
Ecstasy - Sept. 1995
Inspiration - Sept. 1996, Sept. 1998, Sept. 2000
Imagination - Sept. 1997
Destiny - Destiny Sept. 1999, Sept. 2001
Pride - Feb. 2002, Sept. 2002
Fascination - May 2003
Glory - Sept. 2003, Sept. 2004
Sovereign ( RCCL) Aug. 2004

On the 1996 southern out of San Juan, our captain changed the itin to do it backwards. A hurricane was headed our way so we left the island another way. Unfortunately, the hurricane decided to change its path also. The first night was scary as we were in the outer bands of the hurricane....but we survived and the rest of the cruise we had beautiful weather. The 1997 cruise itin was changed from eastern to western....still had a great time!
We were on the same cruise on the Glory last year as Dorothy. Our itin had 4 western ports, changed to eastern. St. Thomas was canceled so we only hit two ports. Our only problem with this was that they knew the hurricane was on it's way and did not offer us the chance to cancel....don't really know if we would have anyway.
September is a great time to cruise...low rates, not as crowded as kids are in school, and the weather is still nice and hot! As a matter of fact, we are also scheduled on the Valor for 9/18...we are buying the trip insurance...always a good thing to have no matter when you cruise!
Old May 21st, 2005, 05:55 AM
bjkeen

cruisegirlkim,
What is the announcers on the radio saying? Yes, it is normal for the Pacific to have storms this early in the season. Although, it is odd that it is headed for the Caribbean. Luckily, it has turned enough that it won't come into the Gulf of Mexico. I feel sorry for the people in Honduras. They had so much water dumped on them.

Florida is possibly going to have a tax free hurricane preparedness day. I am already eyeing a few hurricane supplies myself. I did not have a camp stove or adaquate lighting last year. The candles scare me; all it takes to have a disaster is the wind blowing them over. Especially since once the wind got 40 mph the firemen were not going coming. I can't blame them though. They have to be safe too. Look at it this way, we had 40 years worth of hurricanes in one summer.

Next year I'm leaving on my cruise and not thinking about it.
Old May 21st, 2005, 08:19 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

I hate the hurricane season -- am from south Louisiana and near the coast -- so this hurricane season, I am doing something different. Going the opposite direction to Alaska! Just hope my home is here when I get back!
cheryl