Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 16th, 2005, 07:43 PM
Octhoneymooners

Default Lost at sea

Anyone hear anything about the missing couple from the Destiny?
Sponsored Links
Old May 16th, 2005, 08:42 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Lost at sea

I haven't heard anything about this. What do you know?
Old May 16th, 2005, 09:02 PM
jster

Default Re: Re: Lost at sea

I just read on another board that this couple went missing. They skipped Aruba to head back and meet the coast guard. People on the ship said that they passed out flyers with the couples picture, and searched every cabin. Seems like this would be on the news??? Very scary!! I also read that they were with their adult children on the cruise. How sad....
Old May 16th, 2005, 10:12 PM
ScottP

Default Re: Re: Re: Lost at sea

I was on this ship last week and just got home yesterday. We did skip Aruba and went to St Maarten instead. I have been searching unsuccessfully for anything I can find on this, as they did not tell us much while on board. What I do know is that the couple was still considered "missing" when I disembarked at about 9am on sunday. The FBI boarded when we docked in san juan and there were some rumors going around, but thats all I know for sure. If anyone else heare anything, please post it here, as I would like to know if there are any further developments. I will check here again tomorrow.
Old May 16th, 2005, 10:19 PM
Passenger

Hey,
My hubby and I were on this cruise. Yes, we had to miss
Aruba to meet the coast guard. We were only about a couple hours away from Aruba when we finally turned around, and had to go like seven hours back to meet for the search. We went to the point for the time they were last seen. As far as I know, no one really knows when they went over. I did hear that some family members were with them. It was really sad for their family members, also as sad for all the cruisers on board who had things going on in Aruba. I know of at least one girl who was supposed to meet all of her family and her fiance's family their to see them get married that day. That whole over board situation just put a funk on the rest of the trip. The crew and staff did a really good job changing plans and trying to make the rest of the cruise as enjoyable as possible. Not getting to do the vacation we planned was very disappointing, but it won't stop us from cruising again. You just got to keep in mind that truely anything can happen.

happy cruising,
NO JUMPING,
KK
Old May 17th, 2005, 08:21 AM
Admiral

Old May 17th, 2005, 08:43 AM
Cruise Maniac

Someone said on another board, that the couple jumped and left a suicide note, and what is even worse their 3 children were on board, the ages were in the late 20's and 30's of the children.
Old May 17th, 2005, 10:30 AM
rrk61970

The thought of jumping and drowning......gives me shivers to even think of this!!
Old May 17th, 2005, 01:49 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to CZodda

That is assuming they weren't sucked in by the propellers.....

Cathy

Old May 17th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Cheryl,

Based on that story, it seems they did not leave a note and they were old. Why is always Carnival when you hear about "man overboard"? Were they partying too hard and trying to walk the railing?

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old May 17th, 2005, 07:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Yes, there was an article in our Chicago Tribune this morning...A couple was missing and not found as of yet, very strange.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 18th, 2005, 07:20 AM
First Mate

From a passenger: Two passnegers jumped from the Carnival Destiny on Thursday May 12th between 8:30 PM and 4 AM while the ship was going from Barbados to Aruba. The ship turned around to search for the missing passengers. Their belongings were found in a pile on one of the decks. The belongings included thier passports. There was apparently a suicide note from the approximately 70 year old couple. US and Venezulan coastguards took over the search on Friday May 13th at 1 PM. The ship was discharged and had to change ports. The passengers were brought to St. Maarten on Saturday the 14th. The couple were US citizens who were of Vietnamese decent. Their 3 children were also on board. The children were in their 30s. The FBI met the ship in San Juan Perto Rico as the investigation continued.

Does sound suspicious? Do you think it could have been robbery? Gun point then make you jump? It does happen often on Carnival come to think of it.
Old May 18th, 2005, 07:37 AM
Admiral

Denise77--what happens often on Carnival????????

Here's a thought---their 3 adult children were with them. Maybe there was a big inheritence waiting for them and they didn't want to wait anymore!!!

Of course, I'm only kidding, I hope. My deepest sympathy goes out to this family. Whatever happened is a terrible tragedy and the fact that two lives are gone should not be forgotten.

Post Edited (05-18-05 09:23)
Old May 18th, 2005, 01:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

I had that same thought, and I was not really kidding.

For two of them to go overboard??? No way that was an accident. They either decided to jump or they were helped overboard, and the most likely to have done that are the ones who are on the happy end of the life insurance policies.
Old May 18th, 2005, 01:11 PM
Admiral

You got to be kidding! No way did anyone indicate it was a robbery or that it could have been and absolutely no way anyone had a gun onboard. Get logical here and lets not start any rumors. No note, older couple. My bet is that they just decieded to go out their own way. Maybe one of them was sick, maybe one of them fell overboard, maybe one of them had a heart attack so the remaining one took them both overboard, who knows? It is sad but it happens on all ships every now and then. Nobody has ever been walking along and tripped and fallen overboard, or been blown overboard to my knowledge. Being forced to jump overboard is just silly at best.
Jim

Old May 18th, 2005, 01:24 PM
cruisinfan

Here is a fact, there are serial killers living among us in the U.S.
How does anyone know that there is not a psycho killing people on cruise ships. You don't have to have a gun to kill someone. In fact if you look at the history of serial killers they never kill anyone with a gun, they suffocate them or kill them other horrible ways. I hope to God there is NOT one out there but you just never know. There have been too many people who just disappear off of cruise ships. I know I'll be more aware of my surroundings when I go on my cruise this summer.
Old May 18th, 2005, 01:32 PM
browezilla

I wonder what the crime rate is on ships. I bet it is under reported, and probably hard to track due to the multi-national nature of cruising
Old May 18th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Admiral

Anyone who has cruised very much, or at all, knows that it is almost impossible to accidentally fall overboard. As these people were apparently older folks, it's hardly likely that they were climbing or walking on the lifeboats or rails.

Someone mentioned robbery or forced to jump at gunpoint--- first of all, why would someone jump even if someone had a gun on them? To jump would mean almost certain death. I would rather take my chances with the gun. Secondly, very very unlikely someone could smuggle a gun aboard a ship and if they did, they would probably use it for more than robbing some poor soul.

Bottom line is that it's all speculation at this point but my guess is that suicide would have to be carefully considered. I do hope they find out for sure what happened but doubt they will.
Old May 18th, 2005, 03:27 PM
Admiral

>>There have been too many people who just disappear off of cruise ships>>

Huh????

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old May 20th, 2005, 11:20 AM
Jenniferlane

What is this about? When did it happen? How did you hear about it? I'm very curious. I haven't heard anything about this on the news or anything.
Old May 22nd, 2005, 01:43 AM
Cruise Maniac

You people are so dramatic. What happened is sad, deepest sympathy to the family.
However, this talk about serial killers, being blown over board, life insurance policy collections. People watch way to much CSI. I work as a police officer and it drives me nuts to hear all of this talk.
1. Where is the solid evidence this happened and what source did it come from.
2. Only believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.
3. Has the family reached out for questions, answers or help?
You can twist this so many ways, lets say they wanted to make it look like a suicide, they give there kids there personals. The kids get on the ship put the items out on the deck and make it look like something happened. The Coast Guard is great and they know currents and where to look and how far a body would drift. They haven't turned up anything yet I would be wondering.

If true and parents are lost well I send my prayers to the family, as for everyones rumors and drama lets wait and see what the real story is.
Old May 22nd, 2005, 01:30 PM
Passenger

My hubby and I were on the Destiny when this happened. The couple was on this ship, they used their photos from on board as their search photos. We all even received one in our room the day we got off with the FBI's contact info. on it. It is very sad for the family that was left to deal with all of this.

kk