Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 19th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Dr Phil

Default Re: Jumpers on Destiny

"someone who is confused and withdrawn from reality" does not qualify one as being "severly depressed". That's still no excuse. This nation is hediously over dignosed with depression. Bad things happen. What ever did the settlers do without Paxil and Wellbutrin?
Old May 19th, 2005, 11:54 AM
Passenger

I am not an expert by any means, but what are the chances that both people were suffering from depression? We here at the board can only speculate as to what happened. Unless someone saw them go overboard, the chances of finding them at night would be very slim indeed. The captain should have stopped the ship, and looked, notified the coast guard or other athorities and then proceeded as planned. I dont know, pehaps the cruiselines can issue wrist bands with homing devices for all passengers. Stay safe!
Old May 19th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

What ever did the settlers do without Paxil and Wellbutrin?
They spent all their time working to pay off their timeshares.

Their vacations consisted of trips on "prairie schooners" and some folks got very aggravated when they had to miss visiting a particular cactus because a mule broke a leg.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old May 19th, 2005, 12:15 PM
Admiral

As for two people being depressed and everyone here speculating as to what happened--it could possibly have been a murder/suicide. Happens alot on land. Why not at sea???? (again speculation only)

Whatever the case, I just hope that their family can find some peace in all this. Again sorry to those whose trip was altered.

Post Edited (05-19-05 12:24)
Old May 19th, 2005, 02:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Jumpers on Destiny

I just got an email from my TA -- docs on the way via DHL !

And just to be on the safe side, I am NOT telling my children how much insurance money they get if they toss me overboard.
Old May 19th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Admiral

Great idea Diverbl. Maybe I shouldn't let my kids know about ours either.

Old May 19th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to randk

We have solved that problem. We are spending what someday would have been theirs.

Fantasy 11/91
Inspiration 10/2001
Spirit 11/2002
Conquest 03/04
Legend 03/05
Legend 03/06 (again)
Liberty 04/07
Fantasy 10/07
Old May 19th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Admiral

That's what my parents keep telling me and my siblings they're doing.

Old May 19th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Yeoman

Kuki, You're a nut case!! LMAO

Depression isn't the problem today, it's spoiled rotten little brats who aren't getting what they want.

Those people may not have jumped over board. Who is it, that is upset because of a missed port? You're joking right? You would have freaked if your daughter fell overboard and the captain just kept going! Some people are soooo selfish!

If I was on that ship, I would have tried to help find them. Forget about the next island! I just hope the captain stops for me if I should fall over.

Thank you for stopping Carnival!!!

That was a great idea about the wrist bands with a homing device!
Old May 19th, 2005, 06:36 PM
Robi50

A friend of mine was on this cruise and she told me they were a very delightful couple and seemed very happy to be there. She also said she did not think they fell or jumped. She heard rumors that the children (adults) did not seem all that concerned. Seems to be many, many possibilities here. But whatever happened to them it is very sad.
Old May 19th, 2005, 07:07 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to chris330r

Thanks Donna for the kind, and sensible words. I believe you're right. Stuff happens, and i'm sure i'll get over missing Aruba...<but I still SO wanna go there lol> Just felt the need to vent...and isn't that partly what message boards are?

As for next years cruise...i'm still looking around. So far i've done the Eastern, Western (2X), and now the Southern Carribean....(or almost the Southern as St. Maartin, Aruba's replacement, is considered Eastern isn't it?>

Interested in trying West Coast cruises....the Mexican Riveria sounds pretty intriguing....have you or anyone else done that one? What's it like?

Chris
Old May 19th, 2005, 07:15 PM
Captain

Send a message via MSN to hockeyluver

Who knows maybe one of them discovered they were dying of cancer or had another horrible disease and the couple were so much in love they didnt want to go through the pain of watching thier loved one die or wither away? They may have been selfish, i agree. But maybe they died while doing something they both loved , cruiseing?

Next up Elation Aug 23 '10
then the Miracle again Feb 7,2011
Miracle '10
Holiday '09
Legend '09
Triumph '08
Valor '07
Triumph '06
Fascination '04
Legend '03
Old May 19th, 2005, 07:56 PM
Passenger

Assume for the sake of argument Chris330r is right ... the couple selfishly went overboard with a final gasp of "screw you" directed at the world.

I can understand the feelings of being cheated. I do not have unlimited resources with which to travel at will, either.

That being said, I'm not sure I would want to live in the world Chris330r would construct to guard against it happening again.

I suspect on a new and suicide-safe Carnival cruise, we might find a few things less enjoyable. No way to view the ocean except through thick plexiglasss. No soaring atriums that would invite jumpers. No more tendered ports (Belize for example) as they wouldn't trust passengers not to jump from the tender boats. No pools or hot tubs where one could drown themselves. No more steak, since you couldn't eat them after they take the knives away.

Having to stand in line at the infirmary to have the Carnival doctor's personally ensure you only take one dose of medicine.

Chris330r took a gamble ... betting that a cruise would fulfill certain expectations. Chris330r lost .... this time. It is a gamble anytime we have certain expectations that are not guaranteed by those with whom we contract (officially or unofficially) to deliver them.

We all make the same bet when we cruise whether we think we are or not.
Old May 19th, 2005, 08:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Chris,
No, I have not cruised the Mexican Riveria yet, have always read mixed reviews of that itinary, but its worth a try...My favorite is the Southern, you get a lot of island by doing that itinary and some are very different, so thats something else to look into, maybe on with Aruba as a stop??

Just keep looking and checking and you'll find the right one.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 19th, 2005, 08:52 PM
Passenger

Oh my....give it up. going on a vacation with 2000 other people you are taking the chance of something happening. if you dont like the chances dont cruise, go on vacation with just yourself so youll be sure nothing happens. the world have gotten so ridiculous with the lawsuits and you owe me its pathetic. maybe one day you will stop being so selfish and relaize that life will go on even though you didnt go to aruba, i mean come on someone died here.
Old May 19th, 2005, 09:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

OK...I had to put my 2 cents in. I have read some of the post and I tell you --- if you don't want **** to happen, stay home! WE were on the Conquest last year when we had to be bussed to Mississippi from New Orleans due to the wreck in the mouth of the Mississippi where 5 people were missing. The *****ing that occured on the boat by some was just to much. Vacation on a cruise is what YOU want to make of it. Never once did they think of the people missing (3 who were found dead) and the families who went through the horror of this. They were only worried about ' being late ' missing a port, etc etc etc. Give it up guys! Leaving in 3 weeks!
cheryl
Old May 19th, 2005, 09:38 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Jumpers on Destiny

I cannot believe there are actually people here implying that SUICIDES are just something that one must put up with while vacationing with others and if you don't like it to just "stay home".

Has the world just gone totally Mad?! Suicide is now an acceptable part of vacationing?!!??? It's now apparently something other vacationers have to deal with, and not to get upset about?

When will this madness end?! The more people become complacent to this type of behavior...the MORE it will occur.
Old May 19th, 2005, 09:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Yup.. can just see it.. a run on committing suicides.

Perhaps in can be incorporated in the cruise line advertising campaigns.

.. Book with us! We have the lowest railings of anyone in the business.

10 years on cruise message boards, and I have to admit, these are the strangest comments I've ever seen.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old May 19th, 2005, 10:04 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to randk

Chris,

When you travel or live in a very small area, say the size of a cruise ship, with 2000 other people, do you not realize that all of your lives will be intersected with each other's for a short period. You are all going to the same places, eating from the same stores, and yes breathing the same air. Some will pass by unnoticed while others will touch you some way. But you are all in it togeather. If this is not what you are willing to accept than may I suggest a vactation to a deserted island or better yet a cave just for yourself. That is the only way You will find your happiness and nobody can interfer with it. Just think if something does happen you could sue yourself and get a great settlement. but than again you would not be able to have your hand out and say you owe me.

Fantasy 11/91
Inspiration 10/2001
Spirit 11/2002
Conquest 03/04
Legend 03/05
Legend 03/06 (again)
Liberty 04/07
Fantasy 10/07
Old May 19th, 2005, 10:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

Hey ----if you have to die (or want to die) what better place to do it in? I want my ashes in the carribbean also!
23 days and counting...
Old May 20th, 2005, 06:01 AM
Passenger

And...go figure....we leave in 23 days and what is out there in the carribbean? A storm! Go figure! Maybe I should sue now for them messing up my ports (just in case it does). Hell...I would be content on the boat alone!

Cherylroy,

A storm is an act of nature that cannot be prevented while suicide by passengers are not. That is a choice made by someone...and a poor, selfish one at that. There's a big difference between the two, so it's a pretty bad analogy to make.

I wouldn't care if I missed a port due to a storm, freak wave, etc. That obviously cannot be controlled.
Old May 20th, 2005, 10:54 AM
Rachel White

I am sorry but things just don't add up right here.........................if I had rich parents who were aging and I was a selfish kid like so many of the ones I meet nowadays, and my folks were healthy and probably not going to die soon, but I wanted them too............it would be a perfect plan to take them on a cruise and then "throw" them off the ship.
No one could prove it and I would be rich! What a plan, no witness, no body, ...they just must have been depressed and jumped! Yeah...right! Maybe I am a cynic but things like this could happen, so assuming they took their own lives.....let's not!!! Maybe the poor souls had rotten kids, kind of scary!!! Not a good idea to sail with adult children who want your money!
Rachel
Old May 20th, 2005, 11:31 AM
First Mate

Not everyone in the crew nor in the passengers is Mother Teresa. Do you not believe that some of these folks probably in all likely hood have criminal records. Going on a cruise does not eleviate one from society's problems all together. This is not the first unsolved mystery aboard a ship. Use wisdom, safety in numbers, be aware of your surroundings. You don't have to be aloof concerning safety onboard. Enjoy yourself but use common sense.
Old May 20th, 2005, 12:44 PM
Admiral

Folks, not only have some comments here been amazing but they have been very cruel and unforgivable. I have deleated many of them and will not allow them to continue. I don't care if the person being attacked is on the boards here or has died, you will not make personal attacks against them, and that includes those people who make you say "What!". Two people died by some unknown means and that is sad, period. Life does go on but that does not mean you sweep them, or their names in the gutter.
Jim

Old May 22nd, 2005, 12:32 AM
Cruise Maniac

1. Don't try to understand suicide, I work with it every day and still don't understand it.
2. Drowing is not the best way to go in the middle of the Caribbean. There are more peacefull ways of doing it.
3. Only believe half of what you see and none of what you hear. Has anyone heard of the family members coming forward with any questions or looking for anyone who might have seen something.
4. If they are missing their parents good luck with finding them and I would hate to see anyone go through this. It is sad ( if true).
Old May 22nd, 2005, 11:41 AM
Admiral

Thanks Matt. As a police officer I have seen many suicides and some were very tragic and messy and more than one was not successful with terrible results such as permanant brain damage etc and some of course were just a cry for help and not really serious about it. The ones with the shotgun in the mouth were serious and always successful.
Jim

Old May 23rd, 2005, 09:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

I am saddened by the death of two people. the family must be in unspeakable grief. How selfish to worry about your own missed fun and what you think is rightfully yours. Life happens and I think it is in sad times that we need to see how we can contribute to the larger picture not whine about how they hurt your vacation. You will take another vacation. there is a family out there right now that has lost their parents and don't even have the closure of bodies to bury. Just thank God that it isn't your family.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 11:36 AM
First Mate

Did anyone think it could have been a murder/suicide? The couple may have seemed hapy, but you never know what goes on behind closed doors. My ex and I put on such a great "show" that when I dumped him, everyone was shocked. Very common stuff here. Just a thought......... and CHris.......have a heart for goodness sake!
Happy sailing,
sea angel
Old May 23rd, 2005, 12:03 PM
Passenger

Just out of curiousity... i have not cruised in @ 10 years so my limited knowledge of the ships is long gone.
How easy is it to accidentally fall off the ship? I will be travelling to the W Carib with my 15 yr old next month, and even before this tragedy, am quite nervous about his safety & well being when he is away from my sight. I dont want to tether him to my side so i have purchased 2way radios for us to keep in contact. Give me some peace of mind PLEASE!

Chris & Andrew

Old May 23rd, 2005, 12:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

Chris & Andrew

The railings are quite and it would be (in my opinion) very difficult for someone to fall overboard accidentally. Having sailed with a 15 year old here are some things we do:

In person check in every two hours and by walkie talkie every hour;

After 11:00 p.m. kids are either in their room for the night or with my husband and I;

Rules are gone over ahead of time, ie no going in anyone's room, no one in their room, no accepting drinks (or anything else) from strangers, any drink left behind while swimming, dancing, etc., go get a new one, no running, no loud, disruptive behavior, etc. My kids know if they get caught breaking any of the rules they're by our sides for the rest of the cruise.

Hope this helps.

Darcy

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03