Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 18th, 2005, 07:44 PM
Bmaintz

Default Where to buy Vanilla??

I missed buying vanilla my first cruise on the Conquest but I want to buy a few bottles this coming cruise in Oct/Nov....... Where is the best place to buy, brand & how much?
Sponsored Links
Old May 18th, 2005, 11:16 PM
Cruisingrandma

Default Re: Where to buy Vanilla??

I have bought vanilla from Jamaica that was wonderful. I ahve bought vanilla from Mexico that was equally wonderful. They each have there very own taste. I buy it whereever they have it. I enjoy it all. Happy cruising.......
Old May 19th, 2005, 07:51 AM
Admiral

I bought it in Cozumel... there's a shop called Los Cinco Soles that has vanilla specially made for them. It's wonderful!

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old May 19th, 2005, 08:26 AM
Boostermom

I agree with Michelle. Los Cincos Soles has great vanilla. They have it now in plastic bottles that make transporting it back for yourself and friends very easy. I have had some for three years that I haven't finished up yet and the plastic bottle does not affect the taste at all (just in case you were wondering.) Make sure the label says Vainilla Pura. It may be Extracto de Vainillian Pura. The alcohol content may be as much as 35% also. I get the 500 ML bottles for me and they have smaller for friends,neighbors, housesitters, etc. back home. I can't remember how much I paid for it, but it wasn't real expensive...........
Old May 19th, 2005, 09:17 AM
Bmaintz

Is "Los Cincos Soles" a store in the Cozmel pier side shopping area??
Old May 19th, 2005, 11:29 AM
Admiral

Yes, they have a location in Puerta Maya, where the Carnival ships dock.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old May 19th, 2005, 11:32 AM
BoosterMom

To Bmaintz: Yes, Los Cincos Soles, one of Carnivals approved stores, is at the pier in Cozumel. After you get off ship, you will walk through a mall-type thing with liquor, cigarettes, perfume, pocketbooks, sunglasses, etc. and then exit that into the local shop area. This was new to us three years ago and was still just as pretty as nice this past January. Some of the stores there are also stores "downtown". Los Cincos Soles, Diamonds International, Tanaznite International, Touch of Gold, Panchos Backyard, etc. There are some other vendors selling t-shirts, knockoff designer pocketbooks, leather, onxy items. I found the shopping there to be nice and we didn't even go downtown. Los Cincos also has good buys on simple little stone sterling rings and earrings. I got a baby rattle there for $3.00 and had it monogrammed for a baby gift when we got back home.
Old May 19th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Where to buy Vanilla??

go to a supermarket one or two blocks off the main drag. vanilla is much cheaper there.
Old May 20th, 2005, 12:29 AM
Captain

We priced the vanilla at Cinco Soles and at one of the shops in the duty free mall that you have to walk through to get to get through security. The same size bottle was less expensive in the mall. We bought a 33.80 oz 1000ml bottle for $12.50. When buying Mexican vanill make sure it does not contain Coumarin. Most do not, but some do. I read somewhere that is a cancer causing. Also the same article stated that the glass bottles keep the vanilla fresher. We bought 2 bottles and are 3/4 of the way through the first one since Jan!! Hubby uses it daily in his oatmeal!!

AKcruiser

Old May 20th, 2005, 09:04 AM
Admiral

as the others have told you, Mexico is the place to buy vanilla. The taste is so much different than what we know in US as pure vanilla extract. You use about half as much in cooking.
Old May 20th, 2005, 10:23 AM
Jenniferlane

My husband bought some on the Elation in Dec. of 2003. He is a big cook and really liked it. I think it was about $20, maybe a little more.