Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 23rd, 2005, 11:36 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: NO MORE PROGRESSO, YUCATAN

Correction on telephone number......1-800-929-6400..it is hard to type while on phone..call!!!!!!
Old May 23rd, 2005, 12:19 PM
cruisinfan

Default Re: NO MORE PROGRESSO, YUCATAN

I really don't mind not going to Progresso, I'm good with just 3 ports BUT what if for some reason we can't get into one of the other ports. I read that sometimes they can't tender into Belize due to weather conditions. Does anyone know how often that actually happens?
Old May 23rd, 2005, 08:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

I just talked to my TA and she said that it is only the Glory that is not going to Progresso, but that the Elation sailing out of Galveston is still going there.

Old May 23rd, 2005, 09:34 PM
Admiral

Understand that Progreso IS NOT Miami Beach or Fort Lauderdale or even Cancun. It IS basically a third world area. If you want a beach, why go on a cruise, go to the beach. The area is great for a new adventure in going to those historic Mayan ruins, seeing their culture and how they now live and survive. Also Merida is a typical Spanish Colonial City of the old style and has quite a bit of history there itself as well as being a lovely city. I for one am upset with this change and will be e-mailing and calling guest relations over it. When you do call and write folks, remember to be polite and reasonable. The person reading your e-mail or talking to you on the phone is not the person that made this decision, they are just employees. By acting in a calm and adult manner we just might convince them to put this unique port back in the itinarary.
Jimj

Old May 23rd, 2005, 10:08 PM
First Mate

Jim B. is right....though Progresso is not as modernized as Cozumel it is still a really neat port. I'm so sorry to hear that Carnival may be dicontinuing Progresso...it's one of the few ports we really wanted to go back to. It's also the only port where my husband and I split up because he wanted to do the Chitzen Itza bus ride and I wanted to go to Merida and the Rodeo. There were other things we wanted to do as well....I can only hope Carnival will change their minds. (We were there in October, 2003.)
Not everyone wants to go to Carlos and Charlies....and not everyone minds that a new port isn't as "up to date" as the ports where six or more ships converge in a single day.
Old May 24th, 2005, 08:07 AM
Passenger

Jim, that is exactly the reason I was so looking forward to be going to Progresso. As for another day at sea....those who do not want to, do not HAVE to leave the ship. At least those of us who DO want to, get to visit a new and unique port. I am so hoping Carnival has a change of heart. (proofread)
Old May 24th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Administrator
Admiral

If have been thinking about this. I too had been a little "tiffed" when I heard this but now I'm not. I think many of us are looking at this through "been there, done that, bought the t-shirt eyes.". If I was a first time cruiser who had never been to Cancun, six hours there would definitely not be enough for me.

I would prefer Progresso but Cancun is an excellent port. There is a lot more to do than get drunk at Carlos and Charlie's.

Cancun is a great port for people who want to spend the day snorkeling or diving the reefs. Palancar and Columbia reef are some of the best diving you will find in the Caribbean. There is also Chankanaab park. It is a great place to snorkel, rest or have a dolphin encounter. You need to make advanced reservations if you want to swim with the dolphins.

You can also take the ferry across to Playa Del Carmen. Play Del Carmen is a great village (but getting more commercial) with nice beaches, restaurants and shopping. It is also a short cab ride to Xcaret eco-park and the Tulum Mayan ruins.

There are still private air tours to Chichen Itza via Aero Mexico. (on real planes) And last but not least there is plenty of shopping that can be done at the pier and other local shops. The pier shopping looks like a local mall but plenty of good deals can be found.

So even though Carnival may have eliminated Progresso, many of repeat cruisers are not happy with the decision but I think first and second time cruisers are benefiting from this decision.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 24th, 2005, 11:20 AM
Passenger

Carnival is not replacing Progresso with a stop at Cancun. Carnival is just eliminating the port.
Old May 24th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Jaykl

I just called Carnival and the rep told me that there are boat races out of Key West that are affecting the itinerary. Did anyone get that answer? Does not sound right.
Does anyone know if more shore excursions may be added to Cozumel? I have no interest in drinking, but would have liked to see the Mayan ruins, so now there is time to go see the closest ones. WOuld Carnival do that? Maybe if they got alot of responses, then maybe they would do something.
Old May 24th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Passenger

That is about the fifth excuse I have heard. I have been to Cozumel quite a few times and there
is not much to do besides the tours listed already. From everything I have read on Progresso, there are a lot more accessable ruins, interesting 4x4 excursions, and Meridia is not to be missed for the true spirit of Mexico. Shopping is also supposed to be better. ( I never found any "good" bargains in Coz.) And for those who DO want to drink, Carona Beach is supposed to be the place to go. Those of us who booked did so with a port stop in Progresso.....and if Carnival is listening, they would bring Progresso back as a Glory port. (customer Service 1-800-929-6400)
Old May 24th, 2005, 01:46 PM
Admiral

To those that think that dropping a port is 'fine', I submit that it is not, especially those that have booked this cruise wanting to go to this 'new' port. Belize is always a toss-up if you can go there as it is a narrow and twisting channel and you have to tender a long way from shore. It is not unusual to have to miss that port. That now drops you to two ports on a 7 day cruise. Someone mentioned Key West as having some boat races scheduled and Lord knows that Key West has been dropped many times in the past. So if those things happen suddenly we are taking a 7 day cruise to go to Cozumel? Like I said, I like Cozumel and have been there a dozen times including spending a week there but I am not interested in spending an entire cruise going to maybe one port. Please give us back Progreso and allow us to go where we wanted to, and chose to go. If you want to change it, fine, change it for next year when people have not yet booked that cruise and see how well it does. As for this year, we want Progreso and all the wonders it holds.
Jim

Old May 25th, 2005, 03:10 PM
PM390

Well, cruise mates staff upset that a port is lost! HMMMMMMM about three months ago I rememember them telling us that we should quit whining, when the Glory missed two ports- St. Thomas and St. Marttin. We should enjoy the sail, that was why we cruised!

Well gang, now that the shoe is on the other foot--------

We booked to go to those two ports not the Bahamas and Key West.

So, enjoy C&C's and those extra wind swept days at sea!
Old May 25th, 2005, 03:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi PM,
Nope, wasn't me, I too get upset over missed ports and that was because of a different issue all together. We still don't know the "real" reason for dropping the port at this point and its not like we are already on the cruise and for some may-be mechanical or weather related reason the port may be missed, they are just cancelling it months in advance and no substitute is being arranged, thats what really gets me.

As for missing both St. Thomas and St. Maarten, I too would of been upset...I've missed a few private islands on cruises and Grand Cayman on our second cruise, both due to weather, so not the cruiseline's fault there, but this is a totally different case..

I certainly hope Carnival can add a port for that day or something. I'm also wanting to book a dolphin swim in Cozumel, but at this point I'm a little nervious to book it now in case something else changes...AA already changed our flight going down on the day of the cruise, now we land at 1:05 in Orlando and are doing the cruiseline transfers to port Canaveral, so I hope that works out too.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 25th, 2005, 09:20 PM
Admiral

PM, not the "staff" as in the "official CM" stand on it. Just that some of us who happen to be on staff are upset that they are dropping a port permanantly for a reason that we don't really agree with. I have missed many ports in my two dozen cruises because of one reason or another such as weather, mechnical, and that I do understand and while disappointed I understand and do not blame the Cruiselines for any of them. That is different than making changes to the itinarary on a permanant basis.
Jim

Old May 26th, 2005, 02:43 PM
nepple7

We were on the Elation on 5/01.....went to Progresso and if you don't book an excursion then there is nothing to do there. Unless you drink which we don't there is not much to do. As long as they give another port consider yourself lucky. Also stopping and drinking at Carlos & Charlies was not the reason they stopped going to Progresso. They probably has more complaints about nothing to do then they knoew what to do with.
Old May 26th, 2005, 03:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Nep,
I'd still rather stop there than have another sea day, or anywhere for that matter....Thats the thing that upsets me, that they are not going to another stop, just cancelling that one...

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 26th, 2005, 07:54 PM
Passenger

Donna, I agree with you 100%.
Old May 26th, 2005, 11:30 PM
First Mate

I just booked today on the Elation They said nothing about not going to Proggresso. I just want 3 ports of call. My last cruise due to weather we missed the Caymans and only had 2 ports on 7 day cruise. I enjoy the sea days but like the ports as well. I hope we can have the 3. I think a stop in Proggresso will be a learning experince.

Destiny,Rhapsody ,Conquest x2
Old May 27th, 2005, 10:47 PM
WendyB

I just talked to the people at Carnival, and they tell me Elation is still going to Progresso, and that only the Glory is affected. We're booked for July 3 and have booked an excursion for Progresso, and she assured me all is well....she mentioned some reason being that Elation stays longer in that port than Glory or something?
Old June 4th, 2005, 03:16 PM
SinkrSwim

For whatever it's worth this is what Carnival told me about the elimination of Progreso on the Glory. Because of the distance the ship has to travel from Ft Lauderdale to Progreso it only allows a short amount of time to stay in port at Pregresso. Therefore they decided to go to Cozumel, allowing more time at that port.

The lady I talked to said it doesn't have anything to do with customer complaints re: the port at Progreso/Merida or Carlos and Charlies in Cozmel.

I went on the Celebration twice out of Galveston. One for 4 days, the other was 5 days. On the 5 day cruise we were in port at Cozumel until midnite. The only reason that made it lots of fun was because they brought local talent onto the ship for the entertainment in the large lounge. Local people also entertained during dinner in the main restaurants. I loved that because it was an added treat - showing a bit of local folklore and talent.

As far as Cozumel goes. I would never "choose" to go there again. There is lots to do if you like to drink or shop till you drop. And neither of those 2 things are of interest to me.

The CS person at Carnival told me to relax that they are not removing Progreso from the Elation. She said that a ship coming from Texas does not have the same distance to travel to that port as one coming from Florida.
Old June 4th, 2005, 08:16 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to txgirl05

Hi we are sailing the Elation on July 3..So we are for sure stopping in progreso?
Thanks

Ecstasy~04
Grandeur~05
Elation-7-2-05

Galaxy 12/17/2005 12 day Christmas Cruise!
Old June 4th, 2005, 09:10 PM
Admiral

I haven't measured it but going from Key West to Belize would seem close to the same distance as going from Progreso to Port C. I am just really bummed that they have canceled that port for our cruise on the Glory.
Jim

Old June 5th, 2005, 12:21 PM
Passenger

I, too, really hate to see them drop Progresso. We have been there several times and have always enjoyed it. Having said that, if there is going to be an extended time in Cozumel, an alternative for people wanting to explore more culture and ruins could take the ferry to Playa Del Carmen. Tulum is easy to get to from there. Of course, Playa del Carmen itself has much to offer in terms of shopping, relaxing on the beach, etc. In fact, that is exactly what we did on our last cruise that stopped in Cozumel.
Old June 5th, 2005, 05:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I was somewhat disappointed that Carnival dropped Progresso. For me the Glory offered 4 ports that I had never been to before. The last time I was supposed to stop in Cozumel it was cancelled due to high winds and rough seas. I will just make the best of 3 new ports and enjoy them. I love sea days as well as port days. I will have no problem relaxing on the ship.

Laura

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old June 5th, 2005, 09:18 PM
Kathy O

I am so disappointed that the Glory will not be going to Progresso. The tour to the major Maya ruins at Uxmal were the highlight of our cruise in December. This lovely site is southwest of Merida and really only accessible from Progresso. Talked to others who took the public bus to Merida and felt very safe on their own. Others enjoyed their tours - heard nothing negative. Carnival will undoubtedly save fuel by dropping the port, but will reduced the great value that this itinerary offered. Was hoping to repeat this cruise and had been recommending it to others, but not now.
Old June 6th, 2005, 10:34 AM
Admiral

Kathy and others, let CCL know your feelings by wsriting to the customer relations department. If enough people wirte them and express their dissapointment in the manner that Kathy just did, maybe they might change it back. They do listen to the passengers which is why they dropped it in the first place. It's the squeaky wheel process, they get the attention. Please write in a clear and adult manner without threats of never cruiseing again, that accomplishes nothing. When people express themselves like Kathy just did, they pay attention. If that is what you want, let them know.
Jim

Old June 6th, 2005, 06:38 PM
Passenger

I too am disappointed that Carnival decided to drop Progreso. I was so looking forward to seeing Chichen Itza. I was booked on the Glory for 1/14/06 but with this change I switched to the Miracle. It has 4 ports for the same fare and I really don't care for sea days. On the Glory I would have had 3 sea days and now on the Miracle I will have 2 sea days. However if Carnival decides to add on Progreso again I would definitely change again to the Glory.
Old June 8th, 2005, 12:56 PM
IMASELUVR

Just trying to keep this thread bumped...hoping Carnival will take the advice of all of us who asked them to READ THE BOARDS.

Since some of us are not leaving until Sept., there is still time for them to reinstate Progresso.
Old June 8th, 2005, 01:29 PM
cruisinfan

I just got cruise documents for our July cruise on the Glory. The change shows on the itenarary but there is no seperate letter or explanation or anything stating Progresso was dropped. You would think Carnival would at least say SOMETHING about it. No mention of a credit for port charges either. I wonder how many people are going to go on this cruise not even realizing it had been dropped.
Old June 8th, 2005, 02:41 PM
First Mate

I'm still seeing the "Elation" stopping in Progresso. It's still on the website.

Conquest--January 2005
Conquest--April 2006
Fantasy--February 2007
Fantasy--October 2007
Conquest--February 2009