Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 20th, 2005, 12:25 PM
Admiral

Default How about this! Press Release!

I thought this was very interesting and possibly the wave of the future. Maybe it has gone over so well with Princess.

NEW CARNIVAL LIBERTY TO FEATURE MASSIVE 270-SQUARE-FOOT OUTDOOR TELEVISION SCREEN POOLSIDE ON LIDO DECK

Debuting on Carnival Liberty’s New Med Cruises This Summer,

‘Carnival’s Seaside Theatre’ to Feature Movies, Concerts, Sporting Events

MIAMI (May 20, 2005) – One of the largest outdoor television screens ever installed on a cruise ship will be featured on Carnival Cruise Lines’ new 110,000-ton Carnival Liberty when it inaugurates the line’s Mediterranean cruise program this summer.

“Carnival’s Seaside Theatre” – which will include a 12-foot-high by 22-foot-wide LED (light-emitting diode) screen – will be located poolside on Carnival Liberty’s Lido deck and show movies, sporting events, concerts, and various other programming, including the ship’s own “Morning Show” hosted by the cruise director.

Manufactured by Belgium-based Barco, a worldwide leader in innovative visual solutions, the massive 270-square-foot screen uses the same technology featured in large stadiums and New York’s Times Square and can be seen during both the day and evening hours. In addition to superior picture quality, the state-of-the-art entertainment system includes a 70,000-watt sound system, providing concert quality sound, even outdoors.

“Carnival already offers the widest variety of shipboard activities at sea and the new LED television screen aboard the Carnival Liberty is just another example of the innovative entertainment options available for guests sailing aboard the ‘Fun Ships,’” said Bob Dickinson, Carnival president and CEO.

The poolside screen will take center stage during the evenings when feature films, concerts and other programming are showcased while guests relax in oversized lounge chairs and enjoy drink specials, complimentary popcorn, and other typical movie-time fare.

“Carnival’s Seaside Theatre” will also be utilized for national sporting events featuring various food and drink specials. During Carnival’s legendary deck parties, music videos, along with live shots of the band and party guests, will be displayed.

Kids’ favorite movies and cartoons will also be featured while Play Station 2 units will be connected to the system to provide a “larger than life” video game experience.

The new outdoor LED screen will debut when Carnival Liberty launches the line’s first-ever Mediterranean cruise program which will run from July 20, 2005 through Oct. 12, 2005.

The program encompasses a series of eight 12-day departures from Rome (Civitavecchia). Featured ports include Naples, Italy; Dubrovnik, Croatia; Venice, Italy; Messina, Sicily; Barcelona, Spain; Cannes, France; and Livorno, Italy.

Carnival Liberty will also operate a 16-day transatlantic voyage departing Rome (Civitavecchia) Oct. 24, and arriving at Fort Lauderdale, Fla., Nov. 9, 2005, calling at Barcelona, Palma de Mallorca and Malaga, Spain; Funchal (Madeira), Portugal; and St. Maarten, Netherlands Antilles.

Following these voyages, Carnival Liberty will launch a new six- and eight-day Bahamas/Caribbean schedule from Fort Lauderdale beginning Nov. 12, 2005. Six-day cruises visit George Town, Grand Cayman; Cozumel, Mexico; and Freeport, Bahamas.

Eight-day eastern Caribbean voyages feature San Juan, Puerto Rico; St. Thomas/St. John, U.S.V.I.; Antigua, Lesser Antilles; Tortola/Virgin Gorda, B.V.I.; and Nassau, Bahamas. Western Caribbean cruises include Limon, Costa Rica; Colon, Panama; and Cozumel, Mexico.

Last week, Carnival announced that Carnival Liberty will return to Europe next year to operate a series of 15 12-day Mediterranean voyages May 7 – Oct. 22, 2006.

Carnival, a unit of Carnival Corporation & plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE: CUK) is the largest and most popular cruise line in the world, with 20 “Fun Ships” operating voyages of three to 16 days in length to The Bahamas, Caribbean, Mexican Riviera, Alaska, Hawaii, Canada, New England and Europe.

The line currently has two 110,000-ton SuperLiners – Carnival Liberty and Carnival Freedom – scheduled to enter service between now and February 2007.

For additional information and reservations, contact any travel agent, call 1-800-CARNIVAL or visit carnival.com.

###

Carnival Cruise Lines is a proud member of the exclusive World’s Leading Cruise Lines. Our exclusive alliance also includes Holland America Line, Princess Cruises, Cunard Line, Costa Cruises, Windstar Cruises and The Yachts of Seabourn. Sharing a passion to please each guest, and a commitment to quality and value, our member lines appeal to a wide range of lifestyles and budgets. Together, we offer exciting and enriching cruise vacations to the world’s most desirable destinations.

Jim

Old May 20th, 2005, 12:44 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to Chyna
Default Re: How about this! Press Release!

I can't hardly wait!!! wooohooooo!

Old May 20th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Yeoman

That sounds exciting! I'll need to add extra butter to my popcorn to weigh it down when it's windy!!! What a great excuse!
Old May 20th, 2005, 09:52 PM
Admiral

So--- the chair hogs will be working day and night now instead of just the day shift.
Old May 20th, 2005, 10:57 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to wakedreams

I can't wait - I think it would be cool to have movies under the stars at night.

I will scope out my chair and put my pillow on it for later....(just kidding)

Carnival Triumph 11/2008
Carnival Celebration 10/2007
Carnival Victory 11/2006
Disney Wonder 1/2006
Carnival Legend 10/2005
Carnival Victory 3/2005
Carnival Triumph 8/2004
Carnival Sensation 6/2002
Old May 21st, 2005, 12:37 PM
Captain

I know this can be exciting to some, but one of the reasons to vacation is to get away from that darn TV.

ROMANS 8:28

VIKING SERENADE 1993
HOLIDAY 1995
HOLIDAY 1997
HOLIDAY 1998
ECTASY 1999
ELATION 2000
STAR PRINCESS 2002
SPIRIT 2003
NCL STAR 2004
PRIDE 2005
PRIDE 2006
PARADISE 2007
MS OOSTERDAM 2008
SPLENDOR 5/2010

Carnival Splendor
Old May 21st, 2005, 02:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: How about this! Press Release!

I have been on a number of Carnival cruises, and am taking my sons on one in just a few weeks.

I have to admit - the idea of that huge screen, with 24 hour cruise director announcements and ads for gold by the inch, etc., would really turn me off.

It looks like Carnival may have finally crossed that line where they now, literally, will put it all right in your face.

Thanks, but I think I will probably pass on sailing aboard this ship.

The press release that I just read emphasizes all the things about Carnival that I try to grin and bear, so I guess I am growing out of the Carnival demographic.

I think that this might be one of my last on this line. I am probably ready to move to a more ...(searching for a word that will not result in massive flaming....)... refined experience. Something a bit more upscale, I think, for the future. I have sailed other lines, RCI is a bit less Carnival than Carnival, Princess needs a few younger cruisers. Maybe Celebrity next time.

Of course - I fully intend to have a great time on this coming trip