CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Mother Daughter trip..documents needed?????????? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/204059-mother-daughter-trip-documents-needed.html)

atj May 24th, 2005 05:11 AM

Mother Daughter trip..documents needed??????????

I have a quick question...I am taking my daugter on a cruise. Do I need a letter from Dad saying she can go? Please let me know if there are any parents that have traveled without Dad....We leave in less then 2 weeks.

fla gang May 24th, 2005 06:07 AM

Re: Mother Daughter trip..documents needed??????????

Are you and her dad still married? If not , do you have legal custody of her? If you are married , you won't need anything.

Barry

Darcy May 24th, 2005 07:21 AM

You'll need a signed, notarized letter stating you have permission to take her out of the country, even if you're still married. You may or may not be asked for it, it seems to depend on who's checking you in. If asked and you don't have it, you can be denied boarding.

LisaK May 24th, 2005 09:09 AM

exactly what Dorothy said. You need a signed, Notarized letter from Dad (even if you are married) giving you permission to take your daughter out of the country. Simple letter will do.

rollerdonna May 25th, 2005 07:31 AM

I've had to do the same with my son (Dad and I are divorced). Have never been asked for the letter though....

donna

elliemay100 May 25th, 2005 02:42 PM

I always bring signed notarized letter with me (I travel from UK). I have only been asked for it once and that was at Calgary Airport, never been asked for it to board ship, but I wouldn't travel without it, it gives peace of mind

bbz2nme May 25th, 2005 04:04 PM

What if my ex is deceased? I have nothing from him and no way of getting anything. I have no court papers saying I am their mother or even their legal guardian. Maybe I'll bring along copy of death certificate and of course, passports.. Seems cold-hearted and not one of the things I want to put on my "to-do" list.

Tink63 May 25th, 2005 05:05 PM

I've been asked for mine every time. The airport asks as well as the Cruise Company. Never been asked by immigration though.

A death certificate will probably be okay. My boyfriends ex wife is alive, but not around and he had a notorized letter stating that he had no idea where she was and that worked for him. A letter to the effect that your husband has passed might work also.

Shiela May 26th, 2005 09:24 PM

I'm curious to know why you need that now - I thought the new passport rules didn't start till December. Where exactly are you going? I'm curious because I had no idea that you have to have anything like that and my children's father and I are divorce and we haven't seen him in 3 years - he's what you call a total "dead beat dad". Do I need to bring court papers with me or just a notarized letter stating the fact of we don't know he's whereabouts?

We are leaving in Oct. on the Conquest - going to Caymans, Mexico & Jamaica and I understood that all I needed was the orginial birth certificate as their ids.

atj May 27th, 2005 04:04 AM

Thanks for all of your help. I will be takng the letter. LAST thing I want is to miss my vacation because I didn't have it. :)

Darcy May 27th, 2005 08:02 AM

Sheila:

I would bring some sort of a legal document with me. If asked for a letter and you don't have one, you can be denied boarding. I would contact your lawyer and see if you can get something from the Court stating that you have sole custody and have permission to take your children out of the country.

Darcy

atj June 16th, 2005 05:49 AM

UPDATE:
Well we took the letter with us. We were never asked for it. I would suggest taking one if at all possible. I would have hated not to have it if they had asked for it.

themomtk June 16th, 2005 11:22 AM

So glad it all worked out hope you had a good time.

Skaught June 16th, 2005 02:29 PM

If you are a legal guardian, you're fine. Just bring a copy of a birth certificate if she's not old enough to have other ID.

Scott