Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 26th, 2005, 08:19 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy
Default tipping question

What do most people tip on carnival booked shore excursions? Is it a norm to tip or is it included in the cost of the excursion (some are pretty high!). What about the extra tipping of cabin stewart on ship? Is it norm to tip extra for this too - even if included in daily tips? I don't want to short change anyone - or over tip either. Wondering how much extra to bring for the tips. Thanks
Cheryl (18 days and counting)
Sponsored Links
Old May 26th, 2005, 08:25 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy
Default Re: tipping question

Cheryl

We only tip for shore excursions if someone has gone out of their way to make our experience more enjoyable. Same for the staff. We tip the normal amount, but if someone has gone over and above what's required (such as the cabin steward who made sure each child had a towel animal on his or her bed - and we have four kids) we tip more.

Darcy

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old May 26th, 2005, 08:52 AM
cruisingrandma

Some of the excursions have a sign on the bus that says they accept tips. It is up to u. If u had a good time and they r trying to make a living here too. It is like i said up to u. As for the cabin stewards. If I have a cabin steward that has gone the beyond. I mean like our last one, He knew our first names and always called out to us when he saw us on the ship. I would leave a 2 dollar bill on the nite stand in the mornings after i left the room with a post it note saying thanks for the good service. It isnt much but I just wanted to let him know i appreciated the extra time he took to learn our names and to be as friendly as he was to us. He was a busy person and I feel he went the added mile. It is his living.... its my vacation. Happy cruising...
Old May 26th, 2005, 08:52 AM
Admiral

i agree with Darcy. If someone on your excursion goes above and beyond by all means tip them, same for any of the staff on the ship. If you feel that they deserve more than the auto-tip amount, by all means feel free to give it to them.
Old May 26th, 2005, 12:17 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: tipping question

If you enjoyed yourself, you might want to give a $1 tip/person to both driver/guide for a 1/2 day tour....$2 for an all-day tour. Some people carry $2 bills just for that purpose. If your steward/wait staff made your stay enjoyable, you might give them something extra in an envelope at the cruise's end [night before debarkation]..

For shipboard staff mentioned above, I also prepare a "thank you" card/flier using my computer's publishing program. No cost to you....very much appreciated by them.

Post Edited (05-26-05 11:30)
Old May 26th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Admiral

Tips are not included but again, only tip if the person has done something for you to make your excursion more enjoyable. In my opinion there is never any need to tip the bus driver unles some nut pulls in front of him and he does some fantastic driving to avoid a crash. <G> Just driving you there..I don't tip for that. As for the guide, their performance is what should or should not drive you to tip. It is completely up to you.
Jim