Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 5th, 2005, 04:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy
Default question about tipping the guys who pick up the luggage befo

I remember last time we sailed the Conquest, we pulled up, they took the luggage out and my dad gave the guy a 20 dollar bill. Last time (cruise before this one) they were the ones who actually took the luggage on the ship. This time, they took the luggage, threw it in a pile about 10 feet away and left for more pickups. A big forklift picked up the luggage after that. That, to me does not justify a tip - much less 20 dollars! We are leaving on the Elation next Sunday and wonder how their system works. Trying to get all my tipping in order here.....Can you give me an idea on the tipping procedures for luggage and how the Elation works? Thanks
cheryl (6 days and counting!!)
Sponsored Links
Old June 5th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: question about tipping the guys who pick up the luggage

$5 for 5 bags or less, add a $1 for each bag over 5 is my rule.
Old June 5th, 2005, 04:32 PM
Admiral

A dollar a bag is what we give not to exceed 5 dollars even if it is our family going. Like you said, all they do is place it in the bin that is loaded onto the ship by a forklift. The crewmen on the ship, specifically room stewards and their assts. are the ones that unload it and bring it to your room and actually deserve the tip. They are also the ones that take it down there at the end of the cruise. If the porter helps me remove it from my vehicle and carrys it over to the bin I do the dollar a bag thing but if I am the one to take it out of the car and set it on the ground and the bin is not even a couple steps away, and that happens quite often, then they do not get a tip and I have even placed my bags in the bin myself. Once after I did that a porter walks up and puts his hand out for a tip! I literally laughed and said what for, getting off your a$$ and walking over here to get money? I also watched my bags until the bin was full and taken to the rear.
Jim

Old June 5th, 2005, 06:51 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to marvholly

The stevadores on dockside are usually union and in many embarcation ports do plan to "supplement" their declared income by your "tips". If you EVER expect to get reasonbly prompt/ever delivery of your luggage I wouLd plan on tipping a MINIMUM of $1/bag. Late hubby traveled 18 states for over 18 months in the mid 90's and followed this guideline. I/We have been traveling via a couple airports, on vacaions as well as business travel over several cruise lines and multiple land vacation the last 10-15 years and followed this guideline, I have NEVER had a lost/misplaced bag yet while others have had MAJOR problems. $5 to $7 is pretty cheap compared to a lost bag of short outfits or formal attire, or toothpaste and meds or whatever.

Has luggage ever been misplace? YEEP!!. But we cross pack and have ALWAYS had all our bags by 8-10 pm on embrcation day/
Old June 5th, 2005, 07:25 PM
Bmaintz

Our last cruise on the Conquest was a pleasent experience with the porters.... It was our first cruise & our daughter dropped us off at the terminal...... The Porter was prompt, looked at our tickets & told us that we had a cabin upgrade, he got us new colored tags for each piece of our luguage..... I believe we tipped him 7 or 8 dollars... He was really nice.....
Old June 5th, 2005, 08:26 PM
Admiral

The porters have nothing to do with delivering your bags to your cabin. All they do is toss them in a large bin. I tip for service and not out of any hinted threats such as 'if you want your bag to make it you need to tip well' or other such nonsense. I have seen porters stand at the door of the bus when it comes in and ask how many bags and hold out his hand saying $2 a bag. How in the heck does he know which bag is who's? I am sorry but the veiled threat is something that really gets my goat. The steward and the assistants are the ones that bring you your bags and deserve the tips more than the porter who grabs your bag and places it in the bin beside him.
Jim

Old June 5th, 2005, 11:06 PM
Big Craig

We have seen people complain about 1 shoe from a pair missing and "a" hole in the back of there underwear, that was not there when they packed them.
I know, it happened to us.
Old June 6th, 2005, 06:22 AM
Yeoman

WE usually tip $1.00 a bag. If we have 4 bags , I'll usually give him $5.00. But thats it !

We done the prepaid tipping on our last cruise,and it worked out very well. I'll usually give my room steward, or a waiter , or ect. that goes above and beyond on service, a little more in there envelopes. In the past, we have had some outstanding room stewards , and waiters !
Old June 6th, 2005, 09:00 AM
Admiral

our TA always tells us to make sure that we tip the steveadors on the dock, $1 per bag, just because there is that "understanding" that they could mishandle your luggage shall we say. They have nothing to do with the cruise line. I also watch my luggage to make sure that it gets into the bin and gets on the conveyor going into the ship.
Old June 7th, 2005, 04:47 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to marvholly

Stevadores can certainly make sure your luggage NEVER sees the inside of the ship. Stiff on tipping them and as soon as your back is turned the bags come out of the ship bin and hit the trash bins instead.
Old June 7th, 2005, 05:19 PM
Admiral

While I always tip for service provided I think it is a shame that we have been reduced to tipping because of threats. Maybe I am old fashioned or just pigheaded but I will never give into threats. If they handle my bags and it is more than just taking them from me and turning around and placing them in the bin I tip but if that is all they do after watching me struggle to take them out of the car or truck, they have not earned anything. The only time I had a threat made on my bags was in NYC where the porter made remarks, to my wife, that our bags might suffer some problems unless my wife hired him to care for them. When she told me I got pretty upset and let him know face to face that nothing better happen to any of our bags our I would come looking for him personally. Fortunately we had some friends picking us up and that got me out of there before I could really express my views to him. I just think it is wrong to threaten people for a tip. That is strong armed robbery IMHO and I won't submit to it. I will like I said, tip and tip well for someone that provides me some service that is well done.
Jim

Old June 8th, 2005, 07:04 PM
bjkeen

We always tip the porters because on many an occasion my dh and I have sat at a local restaurant watching the porters work their butts off. So when I cruise I figure they deserve a tip. I always put tags with our names, cabin numbers and phone numbers inside the bags, just in case the outside tag gets lost. I have never entertained the thought that the porter might damage my luggage if I did not give them a tip. Everyone has there own idea about what actually happens. All I care about is my luggage showing up outside my cabin door. I've never heard of a particular amount designated towards tipping porters. My dh does the $5.00 tip for 5 or 6 bags. All of the comments above are interesting.
Old June 8th, 2005, 09:00 PM
overmtnbeth

We just got back from a wonderful trip on the Victory. We purchased the roundtrip bus transportation provided by Carnival from the Miami airport to the dock. When we got to the dock, the bus driver (who had already single-handedly loaded all the luggage on to the bus) unloaded everything and lined it up beside the bus. He instructed us to merely visually observe that our bags were there and then we could go on into the terminal to board. Based on his labors, and his friendly attitude driving us there while explaining the sights, we tipped him generously. My husband and I gave $2 per bag.

SO.... we visually checked that our bags were there - without touching them or remotely indicating which ones were ours. We were walking away, and the porter grabbed my arm (not violently) and informed me that we were to tip him for taking care of our bags. So I gave him the dollar I happened to have in my pocket.

The thing is, since we only visually observed our bags, there's no way he could have known which ones were ours to "mistreat." Of course this is not the case when you arrive in your own car or in a taxi. But if you are on the bus with 50 other people and 150 other bags, they won't know which bags are yours.
Old June 8th, 2005, 09:01 PM
overmtnbeth

We just got back from a wonderful trip on the Victory. We purchased the roundtrip bus transportation provided by Carnival from the Miami airport to the dock. When we got to the dock, the bus driver (who had already single-handedly loaded all the luggage on to the bus) unloaded everything and lined it up beside the bus. He instructed us to merely visually observe that our bags were there and then we could go on into the terminal to board. Based on his labors, and his friendly attitude driving us there while explaining the sights, we tipped him generously. My husband and I gave $2 per bag.

SO.... we visually checked that our bags were there - without touching them or remotely indicating which ones were ours. We were walking away, and the porter grabbed my arm (not violently) and informed me that we were to tip him for taking care of our bags. So I gave him the dollar I happened to have in my pocket.

The thing is, since we only visually observed our bags, there's no way he could have known which ones were ours to "mistreat." Of course this is not the case when you arrive in your own car or in a taxi. But if you are on the bus with 50 other people and 150 other bags, they won't know which bags are yours.
Old June 9th, 2005, 02:31 PM
Admiral

Beth, I too would have tipped the bus driver and encouraged other to tip him as well for his outstanding service. As for the porter, I doubt I would give him anything as the bins are usually right there beside the bus so the porters essentially do nothing.
Jim

Old June 9th, 2005, 02:50 PM
Captain

I agree strongly with Jim. I tip only when a service has been provided, not because of any threats as to what might happen if I don't. As union employees, the porters at the pier are paid very well. Still, I will tip them if they go out of their way to help me unload my car or have to carry my luggage a long distance. Like Jim, I WILL NOT tip them just to put my luggage in a bin.

I find that their service warrants a tip about 50% of the time. The other 50% it doesn't. Either way, my luggage has always arrived undamaged and without any missing items.

Porters are one of the few people who routinely earn tips AND are paid a good salary, therefore, I think most of them value their jobs too much to risk doing anything nasty to someone who didn't tip. In any case, I would rather risk something happening to my belongings than allow anyone to get away with exhortion!