Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 8th, 2005, 01:02 PM
Yeoman

Default Do boats go around tropical storms?

I know that the boats will go around a hurricane to continue on thier way, but do they go around tropical storms as well? Going next month to western caribbean (GC, Cozumel, Belize and Costa Maya) and already today there is a tropical storm and/or possible to be named a hurricane out there! How safe is it?

Mariner of the Seas (July 2006)
Mariner of the Seas (April 2007)

Freedom of the Seas (July 2007)
Sponsored Links
Old June 8th, 2005, 05:08 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to -Rob
Default Re: Do boats go around tropical storms?

When i was on the carnival pride, just like the miracle, we went around a tropical storm. It was really windy and the ship rocked a little more than usual but it wasnt anything unbearable. The only difference was some of the top, forward decks were roped off. A ship that size could go through a tropical storm and not be unsafe. You haev nothing to worry about =) happy sailing
-Rob

Carnival Ecstasy-June 2000
Carnival Jubilee-July 2001
Carnival Pride-June 2003
RCCL Sovereign-Janurary 2004
Carnival Imagination-June 26, 2004
Glory
Old June 9th, 2005, 07:03 AM
Gail F.

Rob,
did the ship feel like it was going to tip over, at any time, my husband is ready to hang the person that put this back into my head lol, but what can I say,
I have been on many cruises but only with perfect weather .
Thanks
Old June 9th, 2005, 07:07 AM
bjkeen

Yeah, I'm in the sunshine state, and keeping an eye on the tropical storm. It isn't very strong so far. We (the people in Florida) hope the storm stays weak. See my above post.

To answer your question: The Captain of the ship would much rather go around the storm, but sometimes the storm is to large to go around. I have been on two ships that could not go around them. We weathered the storm.
Old June 9th, 2005, 07:30 AM
Gail F.

o.k. my cruise is not for two weeks, what do you think, ??????????????can you keep us posted. I just know I cannot in my heart do it. I cannot go and feel like I will tip over. I flew on a plane several times until I had such a bad experience once that I was so upset they put me into first class, the stewedess even gave me a bottle of champagne when we landed as a gift that I landed safely (they all got to know me) I have not flown since.so I have taken up cruisin, and this will not be good if we have bad weather.
Thanks
Old June 9th, 2005, 08:37 AM
kakarp

If there is a storm in the western and thatís were you are supposed go it is not uncommon for the ship to go on a eastern route. Or western if it is supposed to go eastern and there is a storm out there.
Old June 9th, 2005, 08:54 AM
Admiral

Gail - please, please relax and take a deep breath, The ships have wonderful stabalizers, are very safe and they DO NOT AND WILL NOT FEEL LIKE THEY WILL TIP OVER -, whoever told you that is full of horse you know what. ( I think that your DH and I could agree on that point!) Your safety is the Captains primary concern. He will always choose the safest route.If going around a storm is the safest route that is what the Captain will do -- Actually you are safer at sea during a storm than you would be in a port that is in the path of a storm - that is why so many fisherman will choose to "go to sea" to weather a storm.
Please don't work yourself up into a panic over this. Just relax, enjoy and go with the flow of the cruise,don't let that unrealistic thought stick in your head and ruin your cruise for you. if you are still feeling anxious maybe you should talk to your doctor ???
I am a whimpy cruiser and we have been on cruises in rough seas, if i can handle it, believe me so can you.
Old June 9th, 2005, 09:45 AM
Yeoman

Sorry for asking the original post.......I never meant to scare anyone.
I like Gail, do not wish to experience any bad weather. I just wanted to know what the procedure was for tropical storms.
I am still trying to overcome a few fears of my own, The Sea and Thunderstorms!
Old June 9th, 2005, 11:20 AM
Gail F.

momx4
Hi you did not scare me it was already in my head, I just did not have the guts to ask.
but this just got me thinking, think think think lol....now I will have to get together a plan for each island incase we do different islands, so I guess I will keep reading this message board and see what other people did that they liked , and it will keep me busy.
I wonder if little Arlene out at sea right now will last that long, I can't imagine RIGHT?????
Old June 9th, 2005, 12:24 PM
Yeoman

No.........She'll be gone before you know it.
I still have to get over my fears though... I am almost 40 and they still get the best of me to this very day!