Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 9th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Passenger

Default safety in aruba

Just wondering if anyone has had some safety issues in aruba in light of the recent natalee holoway incident. my wife and i have been there 5 times on cruises. we don't like to do regular shore tours and usually veture out on our own and explor the local places and neighborhoods. it is well known to law enforcement in the U.S. that aruba is one of the largest drug points in the world, although the general public does not seem to know this. i have heard many people say there are no "bad " areas in aruba. i disagree as we have been to two in particular. you would not think you were on the same island. once we were dropped off by cab at a local neighborhood bar we heard of at about 9:30 at night. we were immediatley surrounded by drug dealers in front of the bar. we did not go in and started to walk away only to be followed by a couple of the dealers looking to make a sale and saying they wanted to talk for a minute. we continued to walk quickly and found a main road and they turned around. just wondering if anyone has had similar experiences.
Sponsored Links
Old June 9th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: safety in aruba

I have had similar experiences in Cancun, Jamaica, Barcelona, London, New York, Minneapolis, San Francisco, Dallas.

If you get off the beaten path in any major city, or tourist area, you have to be prepared to see the seedy side and know how to handle it. The people who are working in the hotels and resorts live somewhere. If anyone tells you that there are "No bad areas", don't believe them. This is being naive and you are setting yourself up for trouble. Don't be afraid to experience a country but use caution and don't put yourself in a situation or an area that you can't handle. There's nothing wrong in saying I don't want to go there. Never travel alone!

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 9th, 2005, 01:47 PM
cruisinfan

I agree, never go any where alone or even as a couple in a foreign country (and even some places in the U.S.), especially a bar. Safety is in numbers!!!!
Old June 9th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Admiral

There is even a part of my own hometown I don't like going to alone. You find a safety issue everywhere. You just need to be smart about where to go, when and with who.

Old June 9th, 2005, 02:23 PM
First Mate

I agree go in a large group. You will have less trouble if any. I take the cruiseline excurison. If we go on our own it is with a group of 10 or more.

Destiny,Rhapsody ,Conquest x2
Old June 9th, 2005, 02:57 PM
Admiral

For the 1 person missing in Aruba, how many are missing here at home in the U.S.?
Probably in the hundreds.

I would certainly hesitate to say Aruba has a safety problem.
Old June 9th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Yeoman

I pray everyday that this girl makes it home safely. I have 4 kids, I can't even begin to feel the pain these poor parents are experiencing. God be with them!
It should'nt matter if it's 1 person or 1,000,000 people...missing still means missing.
You can't get home, you don't see your loved ones and know one knows if you died or alive.

There is good and bad everywhere....Don't be too scare to experience life!
Just keep your eyes and ears wide open. Just because your on vacation dosen't mean to become too relax to see what you could be getting yourself into........
Old June 9th, 2005, 03:24 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: safety in Aruba

Ron,
I agree with you and that was basically what I was saying. Aruba is really no less or more safe than most other vacation destinations. If you don't use some common sense any place can be dangerous. Just because you are on vacation doesn't mean your common sense is.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me