Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 12th, 2005, 03:36 AM
kit7578

Default Cruising in August

My friends and I are cruising in mid-August on the Imagination to Jamaica and Grand Caymen. I've been getting a lot of grief from co-workers about cruising in the during "hurricane season". Is this really such a bad time to go?
Sponsored Links
Old June 12th, 2005, 06:23 AM
rosetattoo

Default Re: Cruising in August

I have cruised during the summer months and only experienced a hurricane "scare" once...last September on the Triumph we were in the eastern Caribbean and they cancelled our stop in St. Maarten because a hurricane was approaching but they added a stop in Nassau instead. We never experienced rough seas or rain. The cruise lines will not put passengers in harms way if they can avoid it.
Old June 12th, 2005, 09:54 AM
jester

My hubby and I are cruising on the Sensation on Aug. 8 with our families. We are not too worried. Hurricane season is usually really slow in Aug., it doesn't really pick up until Sept.
I would not worry too much about it.

Old June 12th, 2005, 10:25 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I am cruiseing the Glory in September. I am confident the Captain will keep us out of the way of any storms.

Laura

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old June 12th, 2005, 11:03 AM
Cruise Maniac

I'd read the post from the Inspiration trip from last week!
Old June 12th, 2005, 12:01 PM
DENISE H

we cruise after the hurricane and we had no problems
Old June 12th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Admiral

I wouldn't call August "slow" for hurricanes. August and September are the most active months. You always run the risk and the risk is increased during hurricane season. If missing a port, or some rough seas would ruin your vacation, you might not be a candidate for the lower prices and smaller crowds you encounter during hurricane season.

We've booked our 2nd cruise for September and were greatly affected by Hurricanes Ivan and Jeanne last year. It was all part of the adventure and seeing the Eastern caribbean instead of the Western was fine with us. However, there are some folks that are decidedly NOT happy if something goes awry.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old June 12th, 2005, 04:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

I have cruised at least 6 times in August and September and not until last year was it an issue. However, after I suffered through Charley on Friday night roaring through Orlando (myself and my home lucky enough to escape damage), we left for Port Canaveral on Saturday morning and the ship left only 4 hrs late - only because they were waiting on passengers with flight delays.

I have been on ships that have changed Itins to go around brewing storms, but we were never in danger. The Capitains know how to handle the situations and do what is best for the safety of the passengers. Don't get upset (as I have seen others do) about missing a port or a port being replaced with another, just be thankful that you were never placed in harm's way.

Don't worry about sailing during hurricane season - if you did you would only be able to cruise from Dec-May (it isn't obvious to most people that hurricane season is 6 months long). If you see a storm brewing around the time of your cruise, stay in touch with the cruiseline, check their website for updates, and stay posted to these boards, you will find that more than likely you won't have any problems at all.

A bit of advice: ALWAYS fly in the day prior to your cruise.

Hope this helps,

Jodi

Old June 12th, 2005, 05:48 PM
Admiral

And some insurance isn't a bad idea either!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old June 13th, 2005, 09:45 AM
Admiral

you always run the chance of a hurricane in August, but if you can be flexible, and the thought of possibily missing a port, changing a port or having an extra sea day won't ruin your cruise or get you all riled up, and the possibility of slightly choppy seas doesn't concern you then go for it. Your safety is the Captain's main concern and he will steer away and or around any storm.
Just know the possibilities and go with the flow.
Old June 13th, 2005, 10:05 AM
Passenger

My bf and I cruised on Augusy 15th last year on the Pardaise and I must admit 90% of the time we didn't even feel like we were moving...it was wonderful. Out fo 7 days we experienced only one niight of mild rocking, thats about it. This year we're sailing on July 2nd (still hurricane season), so while there is still a risk of encountering a storm I share everyone's else's opinion that the captains know what they're doing and will do everything possible to keep us out of the storm. So don't sweat it, just think about all the fun and good memories you're going to make on your vacation

Paradise August 2004
Old June 13th, 2005, 02:37 PM
Passenger

Well all I can say is Mother Nature hits when and where she wants, we just returned sat night and never thought we would be hit by a tropical storm but TS ARLENE had plans for an early arrival. It is all a game of chance. Just try to keep an open mind if a storm does occur and remember it isn't the Captain's fault nor the Co you cruise with. We had nothing but clouds and rain the entire time but it is all what you make of it. Yes I didn't get a tan but I enjoyed myself as much as I could. I will cruise again and I would never let this incident keep me from cruising Carnival again.
Angie
Old June 13th, 2005, 03:39 PM
Passenger

Sailed in July two years ago and we had to go around a hurricane. One night of pretty rough water, and came into port 2 hours late (was announced that it would be 4 hours late, but only actually 2 hours). Missed our morning excursion, but we didn't care. Perfect weather other than the first night of pretty rough water. Had a wonderful time and didn't mind the change at all.

Booked on the Victory Sept. 4th and am not worried at all. Whatever happens, I will still enjoy my trip, even if I have 7 days at sea and no ports!!!!

Old June 13th, 2005, 08:13 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to TC(Top-Cat)

We cruised in August last year on the Sensation and got between the first and second hurricane. We got lucky!

On Glory - 05-06-06

Sensation,Jubilee ,Maj.of the Seas,Conquest, Victory.
Old June 13th, 2005, 10:15 PM
kit7578

Default Re: Re: Cruising in August

Thanks for all the great advice. There are 9 of us going, so I think we can have fun anywhere, anytime -- no little ole storm will get in our way!!! I just don't know if I can wait until August .....
Old June 14th, 2005, 05:05 AM
Yeoman

Kit.
August will be here before you know it. Hang in there ! I know what you are sayin about getting the lecture from coworkers about cruising in Aug. and Sept. I hear it every year.
And there is always one, that won't ever cruise because of 911, or hurricanes, won't go to those foreign islands or country. Yea, I hear it to !

Thats the only time we cruise is in Aug. or Sept. ,For 2 reasons, (1)thats the cheapest time to cruise, and(2) that seems to be the only time the wife and I can take off together.

Go enjoy your cruise, and if there is a tropical storm or a hurricane out there, the captain knows what to do, and where to go to avoid the bad stuff. The main thing is, "your on a cruise" so relax and enjoy !

happy sailing;
david
Old June 14th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Passenger

Cruise last year on the Imagaination and had a ball went the end of October for Halloween. Grand Cayman had just opened up from all the hurricanes before. Had to be tenders to Grand Cayman not bad at all. Had perfect weather. Going on the Glory in October and the Fasination in December for my birthday. I can't wait for October to get here.
Old June 16th, 2005, 05:23 PM
Beginner

Going on the Victory on August 7th.I am not worried about a thing.If you are to live your life like that then no one would ever do anything.Enjoy yourself.
email me at islandreams@socal.rr.com

Old June 17th, 2005, 04:51 PM
BMiller

Default Re: Re: Cruising in August

I'm on the Victory August 7 too. I'm only worried about the storms if they're hitting florida when my flights are scheduled. The ships usually steer arount the worst storms. I've seen them in the distance from the ship but we only had light rains and heavy clouds. We only felt waves one night. The rest of the time we couldn't feel any but the slightest sensation of motion.

BTW islandreams have you recieved word that Carnival is switching the days of the St Martaan and St Thomas stops? My TA said we should get longer in port.