Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 13th, 2005, 09:07 PM
jester

Default excursions for cozumel & playa del carmen?

I'm going on the Sensation in Aug. with my hubby and our families. We have both been to Cozumel, but have not been to Playa del Carmen. Anyone have suggestions on any good excursions at either port?

Sponsored Links
Old June 14th, 2005, 09:50 AM
Admiral

Default Re: excursions for cozumel & playa del carmen?

so much depends upon what you like to do. If you want to go snorkeling or if you have never been and want to try it, Cozumel is a great place - book a ships tour to the Palencaar Reef - amazing, its an easy swim and snorkel. IF you want to explore the Mayan Ruins then book a ships tour to the ruins. Dolphin Swims are at Channunkaab National Park - book on your own, as soon as you can as they sell out fast.
check out www.cozumelinsider.com - full of great info on things to do and see.
Old June 14th, 2005, 11:52 AM
Happy Camper

The jeep tour in Playa was highly recommended by people we knew that went on it... DOn't know myself as our backs were hurting big time from our speed boat (power boat) tour in Cozumel. It was awesome in 8 foot boats for two you drive yourself - had a ball but it sure did a number on our backs! Debbie
Old June 14th, 2005, 12:32 PM
AP

We sailed on the sensation in March, had a blast. In Playa Del Carmen we took the Tulum/Xel-Ha excursion and loved it. The ruins were neat (but very hot). Xel-Ha is a natural water park (snorkeling in a lagoon and into mayan caves, river floating with tubes, floating bridge, etc.) it also has restaurants and a hammock island. My girlfriend and I really enjoyed this during the heat of the day. The only downside to this excursion is that you stop for ~30-40 minutes at a souvenir shop where everything seems somewhat overpriced.

We split a box lunch ($8) it was enough to get us back to the ship and we didn't lose any time at the attractions, it was tasty and no health problems.

Hope this helps.
Old June 14th, 2005, 03:56 PM
Passenger

I have beeen to Play del Carmen twice, I would recommend either Xel Ha or Excuret (sp) they are both great. Excuret has an underground river to snorkel in.

Glory Jan. 2006
Old June 15th, 2005, 10:04 PM
jester

Thanks all for the suggestions Happy camper, we were actually thinking about doing the seed boat tour in Cozumel. Did ya'll stop at a beach or just ride the boats all day?
Old June 16th, 2005, 04:49 PM
Happy Camper

They take you by taxi - about 15-20 minutes to the very west end of the island to a beach called Barracuda - Barracuda Reef is right off this beach (a dive spot that is very advanced)- the beach is very pretty - they give you an orientation on the boats and you sign your life away (bring sunscreen) and hop in boats for two that are about 8 feet long. You travel 45 minutes in the boats (with you driving and one person riding - hubby had to drive of course!) to a beach on a secluded island. This beach is only for the speed boat tours I believe - no one else is there - there is another beach that some go to by ferry on tours but this beach is beyond that. Then there is a mexican buffett, volley ball, swimming (no coral to snorkle) and laying out on pretty beach - I took a picture of two 7Up bottles that look just like Corona commercail! Very pretty beach! There is no no no drinking on this tour which tells you how much fun the boats can be!! Then you drive the boats back a little shorter route taking about 35 minutes.. You can pass each other in the boats but my hubby had fun "surfing" the other person's wake which I put a stop to when a 3 foot wave knocked us off the wake!! 3 feet isn't high until you are in an 8 foot boat! hahaha Hubby and I loved it and had an awesome time - well worth the money. When we woke up the next morning we couldnt' move - our backs were killing us!!!! Anyway - advil to the rescue and about a week later we were back in shape but we didn't tour the Playa. That whole day we didnt' feel anything... WHo knows. If you want pictures just email me - great pictures of beach and boats for you if you want. Debbie