Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 14th, 2005, 05:27 PM
First Mate

Default customs in St. Thomas

Hi everyone, I have read in a few places thar we have to go through customs in St. Thomas is that true?
If so what is the best time to get up and out, to avoid a line.
and what do we have to have with us, if we are just going to the beach or shoppping, and is it evertime we get off, I am confused with this one.
thanks Gail
Sponsored Links
Old June 14th, 2005, 06:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: customs in St. Thomas

Hi Gail,
The ship will tell you what time to report at the location. Its usually very quick, just walk in the line and present your passports, etc....and its done. Just be sure to go when its the time for you, its all very organized...We've had to go once at 7AM, wasn't fun getting up that early for that, but it was quick.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 14th, 2005, 07:08 PM
Admiral

It's really immigration that they worry about. I guess it is all called Homeland Security now. Just take your passports with you or a copy of them and that should work.
Jim

Old June 14th, 2005, 07:30 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: customs in St. Thomas

Am I mistaken, or is this only for cruise passengers embarking and disembarking here? Is it for all passengers? I find this new, and inconvenient being our first port stop. The unanswered question--everytime you get on & off? Thanks
Old June 14th, 2005, 08:00 PM
Passenger

You go through immigration in St Thomas IF this is the first stop AFTER a stop in another country or territory, such as Nassau. This is the case for the Glory's current schedule. If is your first stop, period, then immigration should not be required. If immigration is a requirement it matters not whether you leave the ship or not. You MUST go through immigration. You do not go through immigration in the remaining ports. I found the process very quick last year in St Thomas.
Old June 15th, 2005, 05:17 AM
First Mate

O.k. so I go to San Jaun first, then the next day they tell us what time to get up to go through customs., (not a big deal to me I'm such an early person) We then go do what ever we want to for the day.
OR do we go through customs to get on and off the ship. Each time?
I'm sorry, just still a little confused I know they will tell us, but I have been to St. Thomas several times and do not remember doing this.
Thanks Gail
Old June 15th, 2005, 07:53 AM
Admiral

Gail, you only go thru customs/immigration once in St. Thomas. Once the ship and all its passengers have cleared customs, immigration will release the ship and you are free to come and go as you please.
Old June 15th, 2005, 08:01 AM
samscruiser

Gail F:
If your first port is San Juan, then you would not have to go through immigration in St. Thomas, since both are US ports. It's only if you go to a non-US port before arriving at a US-port that immigration is required.
Old June 15th, 2005, 08:34 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: customs in St. Thomas

samscruiser has it exactly correct.
Old June 15th, 2005, 08:41 AM
First Mate

o.k............ Now I get it, sorry my brain is ALMOST on vacation. six days and counting, so it has nothing to do with us. going out of N.Y. (San Jaun St. Thomas, and Tortola.)
right??????????????
Me again Gail
Old June 15th, 2005, 09:43 AM
Passenger

Maybe that explains why they just flip flopped the stops on the Victory. We now do San Juan, St. Thomas then St. Maartin instead of SJ, SM, ST. Makes more sense and will allow us to get off the boat without going through customs/immigration first. Sounds good to me.