Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 20th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Newborns

D - So you think cruises are for adults only?

Old June 20th, 2005, 11:32 AM
Admiral

Leave the child at home, give her a chance to build up an immune system. You have the rest of your life to go on a cruise, and if you would miss her that much, wait until she is old enough to take her with you...

I see people all of the time at Disneyland with tiny infants, what worse place for all sorts of germs to be floating around?? C'mon, people!!!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old June 20th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Admiral

After reading these posts, I guess it is a split decision on the newborn. Personally I would leave the baby home with grandma. You'll get very little time alone for the next 18 years or so. Also, the germs that float around a cruise ship may not be healty for a baby.

When my children were younger and we took them to Disney World it was nuts. As they got older and could off on their own, my DH and I would sit on Main Street and people watch. The funniest sites were 1.) worn out parents with small, crying, whiny children at 11:00 in the morning 2.) parents yelling at the small, crying, whiny kids because they didn't want a picture with Mickey or other characters. One child went so far as to plunk himself on the ground and refuse to move. We thought it was funny but the parents were on the verge of a nervous breakdown. What a long day they were in for. My thoughts, what a way to "VACATION".

I'm not saying small children don't belong at Disney or on a cruise but be prepared for the worst. I work with kids all day and they are very unpredictable. The best behaved child can turn into a nightmare very quickly and for no apparent reason. Especially if they know they will have an audience. I know that your child is a newborn, although you don't say how old, but they can cry to the point of making others crazy, mostly people who don't have children or who haven't been around kids in a while. I would really give some thought to taking the newborn. Whatever your decision, have a great cruise.

Old June 20th, 2005, 12:38 PM
Captain

I consulted with my twin's pediatrician prior to taking them on their first cruise at 9 months old and he didn't have any problem with it. As he pointed out, they are exposed to germs everyday in places like the shopping mall and grocery store. A cruise is no different. The only way to keep them safe from germs is to lock them in the house and never let them out. Which, by the way, he said would be one of the worse things you can do for their immune systems since if they are never exposed to germs they will never develop immunity. Of course, every child's health situation is different, so parents should definitely consult with their own pediatrician prior to planning a trip.
Old June 20th, 2005, 04:38 PM
Passenger

Tink63,

No, I don't think cruises are for adults only but I don't like being near the little snot-factories. My kids are grown and I don't really like the prospect of being in the cabin next to a screaming kid.

The same goes for being on an airplane. Most of us have a sense of dread when a child is in front of us or behind us.

I'm just not afraid to say it. Leve them at home and allow your fellow cruisers to enjoy the escape of an infant-free vacation.
Old June 20th, 2005, 05:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Newborns

On our last cruise there was a young couple with a newborn [ 4 or 5 months ] and they looked so tired trying to keep her taken care of. I asked the parents how the baby was doing and how was it to travel with a newborn and they said they were exhaused from trying to keep her from crying and anoying anyone. they said with no help it wasn't much of a vacation because it was all about the baby.
Kristine