Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 21st, 2005, 07:21 AM
Passenger

Default dramamine vs. bonine

Hi everyone,

My bf and I will be on the Glory in less than 2 weeks and I'm a little concerned about the ship's reputation for being a bit rockier than others. I was lucky enough to be on the Paradise last August where we experienced approx. 4 hours of swaying over 7 days...it was wonderful. Needless to say I did not need to take any dramamine or bonine on that trip, but this time around I'm starting to think it might be a good idea to have some on hand since I've read numerous posts about the Glory's tendency to rock. Basically my question is: which do you prefer - Bonine or Dramine? Which is less drowsy? Which has less side effects (i do not tolerate medicine well)? I would appreciate any input. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old June 21st, 2005, 07:43 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: dramamine vs. bonine

I hate taking meds too....but I took Bonine. 1 pill a day, only as needed. We didn't really have rough seas, just some minor swaying. It was first cruise nerves I think more than anything. Did drink as well (approx. 2-3 drinks a day). Didn't feel too sleepy till about midnight, where as I missed a couple of midnight buffetts.......But will use again.
Old June 21st, 2005, 08:10 AM
Admiral

i prefer Bonine, i have it as my back-up plan. I also hate taking medication. I much prefer the Ginger remedy. Ginger cookies, ginger candy, gingerale. This is my plan of attack. DH gets me a glass of gingerale (what a guy) for sail-away. I stand outside in the fresh air sipping on my gingerale. Works great for me. Munching on carbs also works great - bread, rolls, crackers. .
Fresh air,physical activity even if its just a stroll on deck work great to ease symptoms. If the above don't work to ease the queezies, then i will resort to the Bonine, i take it as needed.
FYI - if you feel that "feeling" coming on after you have had your main meal in the dining room of rich, indulgent gastronomical delights, it might not be motion sickness it might be that you just over did it. IF that's the case, try the Pepto, Rolaids, whatever and get moving(outside is better) go for a stroll on the deck, go dancing. It really helps
Old June 21st, 2005, 08:32 AM
Happy Camper

Bonine hands down!!! We started cruising and in hurricane season in 1991 and we hit some hurricane weather and just nasty weather but i didn't ever get sick because as soon as I start feeling not so good I'd go to the purser's desk and they handed out little pink pills for free. Well one cruise I went to get my little pink pills and they were white and didn't work at all... So disapointed and worried! Well I have found that the little pink pills that always saved me were Bonine and the white ones that they switched to were Dramamine. So now I bring my own little pink pills... I do take only half a pill - I'm about 115 lbs and a whole pill is a little much. You are not suppose to drink on them and I have and know why! The alcohol really hitts you! That is why I take 1/2 a pill. Debbie
Old June 21st, 2005, 08:49 AM
Passenger

Thanks for all the advice Happy Camper i know what u mean about only taking 1/2 pill. I'm a light girl as well and i have to do reduce the doses of most medicines so if i need to take the bonine (crossing my fingers that i won't need them) i'll be cutting it in half just like u.
LisaK, I've heard that ginger pills can help but i never thought that ginger candy/cookies or gingerale could help too. thats gonna be my first plan of attack just in case i get the butterflies in my stomach and if that fails then i'll opt for the bonine.
Thanks again

Paradise August 2004
Old June 21st, 2005, 09:36 AM
Admiral

I had no trouble drinking with Bonine (I've only taken it once). Bonine didn't make me sleepy, but did make my mouth dry.

My son suffers from a bit of seasickness and Bonine works like a charm for him, without any side effects at all.

Why don't you try taking a whole pill before your cruise just to see how it effects you?

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old June 21st, 2005, 12:56 PM
Passenger

Dorothy,

one quick question. i noticed u were on the Glory last year - eastern or western??? also did u notice a substantial difference in the swaying from your previous cruise? i know its a weird question, but i'm just a little worried from all the psost i've read where cruisers say that the glory is def. one of the rockiest in the carnival lineup. i guess i'll have to find out for myself in 11 days lol

Paradise August 2004
Old June 21st, 2005, 03:26 PM
Admiral

Well.....we were *supposed* to do the Western, but Hurricanes Ivan and Jeanne had other ideas, so our itinerary was changed to Eastern!

It was hard to say about the ship rocking because the seas were quite high several times - ANY ship would have been rocking.

I think an erroneous assumption is that a rocking ship will make you sick. Neither my dh or myself felt sick AT ALL despite the rocking. On my first cruise on the Fantasy I was starting to feel a little lightheaded (although not sick) because of some high seas and took the Bonine just so it wouldn't go any further.

My dh and I actually liked the rocking (especially for sleeping) - it added a bit of excitement.

Hope you have calm seas and a great cruise.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old June 21st, 2005, 03:27 PM
DENISE H

i use the bonine when i cruise and when i fly the bonine is less drowsy
Old June 21st, 2005, 07:19 PM
Passenger

I used a prescription patch from my Dr. Transderm Scop, it worked wonderful. You just put a patch behind the ear. My prescription was 4 in a box but you only use 2 per week.
Old June 21st, 2005, 09:29 PM
Passenger

Our vote goes for the patch, Transderm Scop, hands down. It works great and I don't have to remember to have my teenage sons take a pill each day. On Transderm Scop website you can get a coupon.

Old June 22nd, 2005, 08:10 AM
BoosterMom

Bonine is a chemical compound called Meclizine Hydrochloride. This is also the ingredient in Less-Drowsy Dramamine. Regular Dramamine is a different chemical. Definitely go with Bonine, Less-Drowsy Dramamine or the general equivalent Meclizine. Your drug store can get it for you (behind the counter) as they usually don't keep it out on the shelves. A bottle of 100 \, 25 mg tabs was $3.74 at Publix supermarket drug store. It comes as a chewable form and scored if you want to break in half. You can chew or not chew the chewable form. My family takes 1/2 a.m. and 1/2 p.m and increase by 1/2 tablet if water is particularly rocky. Never makes you sleepy and never had a problem drinking alcohol with it.

We start taking day before cruise and continue taking day after for that left over "rocking" feeling. We consider it like travel insurance. Start taking whether or not you need it because when you need it, it may be too late. When you "chase" the seasickness with the meds, it takes twice as long to get some relief.
Old June 22nd, 2005, 01:59 PM
act1girl

We took the Carnival Pride to the Mexican Riviera May 29 to June 5, 2005. I had heard that Bonine was better than Dramamine and didn't cause drowsiness. My first night on the ship I started feeling queezy but I toughed it out. My first full day at sea I took a Bonine first thing in the morning. By dinner time I was still so drugged and drowsy that I hardly had the energy to get ready for formal night. It was awful. What worked best for me were the Sea Bands - available at most major drug stores. They're not the most attractive things but they worked immediately!. The only disadvantage was that they were mildly uncomfortable at times because of the tightness around my wrist and once in a while made the fleshy part of my thumb on the back of my hand feel bruised. But, most of the time I didn't know I was wearing them.