Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 21st, 2005, 02:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy
Default buying tanzanite on ship

I was wondering if anyone has ever bought any jewelry - specifically tanzanite on the ship? I came VERY close to buying a piece that was absolutely georgeous! After the discount (40%) it would have cost me 1500.00. Wondering if anyone has purchased jewelry, their feedback on prices as compared to ports/states and just comments. thanks
cheryl
Sponsored Links
Old June 21st, 2005, 03:34 PM
Phil & Liz

Default Re: buying tanzanite on ship

My wife haggled with a dealer in Cozumel for a nice Tanz ring. He said it was $5, 000 in the states. She ended up paying $200.oo !!!

Do not hesitate to walk out or act like you are walking out if you do not get a good deal.

Phil & Liz
Old June 21st, 2005, 03:43 PM
Gail F.

Hi Cheryl
Not on the ship, but I did buy an anniversary ring with 12 little diamonds for 400.00 and it appraised for 1100. two weeks after I got home. I got it at diamonds international in St. Thomas.
I think you get 30 day garauntee on jewely, to have it appraised and your happy I think.
Gail
Old June 21st, 2005, 04:35 PM
Admiral

I don't think I would buy on the ship. I would buy at ione of the larger 'recommended' stores like Diamonds International as they do have a good gty and one that can be enforced. If you are VERY knowledgable in gems and jewelry then you can try some of the local national stores or local stores that you can talk to the owner with and maybe work a very, very good deal. If you do really know what you are doing then I don't recommend that as you can get taken with no recourse. If you do know your stuff, then you can get some great buys that way. Basically it is best to stick with the big stores and pay via CC. You will get a very good bargain that way.
Jim

Old June 21st, 2005, 07:55 PM
BoosterMom

We have bought jewelry on the ship because of THEIR guarantee. Have been very pleased. We just felt more comfortable buying from Carnival's jewelers. My diamond earrings were appraised at a higher $ figure and our jeweler said he would have rated them higher in color than Carnival did. Diamonds International is a good store, they flip flopped their prices around a good bit. We didn't go as prepared as we should have so we didn't know if we were getting a "line" or not. Do your homework, go prepared with cut, color, clarity info. Compare some on line prices in US and then buy where you feel comfortable. It was also a real surprise when we were sitting in the lounge waiting on the show to start and getting my earrings!
Old June 21st, 2005, 09:37 PM
newmexicoNita

I wouldn't hesitate to buy on board nor would I think twice about buying at a reputable jeweler in any of the islands. I have mixed feelings about Tanzanite (sorry to all of you who are tanzanite lovers) but the most important thing is you like the piece and feel comfortable with the price. How many of us are actually going to sell it anyway? My wedding ring (replacement) was purchased in Hong Kong about 15 years ago; It appraised at 5 times what DH paid for it, fun to know, great to insure, but I only care about how much i like it. NMNita
Old June 21st, 2005, 10:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

Unless I'm mistaken, in 2003, aboard the Triumph we were told by John Heard, CD, that tanzanite was soon ( in 6 mos) going to become illegal to sell since it was being "harvested" at the expense of the maine eco system. (isn't tanzanite the coral product?)

Possibly someone with a better memory can set me straight on this. All I do know is, "something" was soon becoming unavailable and we had better purchase now - today, before it was legally "gone forever!"

Concerning diamonds, we also had a positive experience in Cozumel and were quite pleased when the independant appraisel came in at almost 3x the purchase price.

Willy
Old June 21st, 2005, 10:58 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: buying tanzanite on ship

Wow - really? I'm not sure what it is made of - just know I love it..... I bought a reversal ring in Jamaica 2 years ago -- one side tanzanite and diamonds - the other diamonds. The stones are beautiful, but have my doubts about the gold ring. I should break down and get it appraised, but if it is less than what I paid for it (500.00) I'll cry...lol. I think I might break down and buy a tanzanite ring in Sept. when I go to Alaska. Only have a 25th anniv. once - right? I do know that when you buy tanzanite, it values about 40% more in value 3-4 mo. down the line. ??? Not sure tho
cheryl
Old June 22nd, 2005, 06:13 AM
Cruise Maniac

Cherylroy
Looked up Tanzanite this morning to discover it is a mineral out of Africa. Enjoy!

So, was the soon-to-be illegal item in '03 the coral product? Possibly someone else could confirm that question, please.

Willy
Old June 22nd, 2005, 07:01 AM
First Mate

I've bought both at islands and on ship, but on RCCL. Been please and when I get home what I have purchased has all been praised higher. In fact, on ship I bought 3 rings, one for myself and 2 daughters! Enjoy!!
Old June 22nd, 2005, 08:12 AM
Admiral

Tanzanite isn't the bargain that it used to be. It can only be found in one mine in Africa and that mines supply is being depleated by the high demand for tanzanite. Once its gone its gone. I love Tanzanite- i have a pair of deep purple earings that i bought on the ship for a really good price.. Watch for onboard sales, if you can wait until the end of the cruise that is when yo will find the deals, but if you find a piece either on board or on the islands,and you fall inlove with it, buy it, don't wait hoping that it will go on sale. The key is to know your prices.
Old June 22nd, 2005, 10:08 PM
Admiral

LisaK is right in that Tanzanite only comes from Africa. It comes from the country of Tanzania only, hence the name.
Old June 22nd, 2005, 10:46 PM
Admiral

I just know that I love the color -- and from reading, I hear the darker the better - hell, I have expensive taste as the darker ones are the ones I find more beautiful! I just love the color of the stone -- then again sapphire is close in color too on some stones. I will definitely have to do some reading up - as I do not know jewelry well! And...am a sucker in believing what people tell me! Maybe I should just keep dreaming! Thing is -- I buy it on the ship and have to take it home to get readjusted because my fingers are large! The rings on the ship might fit my pinky..lol
cheryl
Old June 23rd, 2005, 07:34 AM
Admiral

cheryl - if you buy a ring on the ship, you have to send it in to be sized otherwise it will void the warranty. Attend the port shopping lecture on the ship, you will get a lot of useful information at this talk.
Old June 23rd, 2005, 09:16 AM
Happy Camper

We bought one here in the states for around $300 that is surrounded by baget diamonds. I think they actually try to charge more to the tourists. Check here in the states first and get an idea. They are beautiful but they have been saying they would sell out as long as I can remember - at least 7 years now.... Debbie
Old June 23rd, 2005, 12:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

I was on a cruise back in Feb and I bought a tanzanite/diamond ring on board. I paid 400 for it on ship and it appraised for 800 when I got home and had 2 other jewelers look at it.

First, I did have to send it back to Miami to have it "reset" not "resized". Rather than change the size of the ring.. they reset the stones on ANOTHER ring of the size you need. It took about 4 weeks, but they reimbursed me the shipping/insurance costs.

Also, the mine in Tanzania is the only place in the world where the stones are mined and yes, before long, there will be no more. I did a lot of research before my cruise because I knew I wanted to buy some tanz jewelry while I was in Mexico.

The ring I bought is returnable (no ?'s asked if I remember right) up to a year if I am not satisfied. I bought mine the night before the last day at sea.

I love it.. the ladies knew alot about the color,clarity etc that I just didn't really find at some of the places I shopped in Port.

Good Luck!!!

Old June 24th, 2005, 01:04 AM
llm

I bought some Tanzanite while on a mission trip to Tanzania and then later went on a cruise. None of the Tanzanite either on the boat or in the Mexican shops was close to the value that I got when purchasing my stone even after having it set. I understand that not everyone can or wishes to travel to Africa to get their Tanzanite but I would like to warn you that the Tanzanite available on ship, though very nice, is probably twice the price. By the way, darker is better and the smaller the stone the harder it is to find a good dark color so, if you find a small dark stone it is probably a very good buy.
Have Fun!
Old June 24th, 2005, 09:39 PM
Familiar Face

Everything I have bought on the ship has appraised out better than what I paid. I have bought tanzanite earings and pendent. I have bought diamond earings, bracelet, & pendents at diamonds international. I was told that if you buy diamonds in the caribbean you usually can't go wrong. When I have had my jewelry appraized I was told that you may pay the same price as in the US but it will always be a better quality diamond than in the US. Don't know if that is true or not but sounds good.....

Old June 24th, 2005, 11:37 PM
Admiral

I heard the same thing today -- like over there, they snuff their noses up at 14 CT gold -- they start to get excited with 18 CT and up??? Not sure if its true either. After all this talk, not sure if I want to buy any jewelry now. But, after I see how beautiful it is in the case....who can resist? I guess I can since I do it all the time. Just hard to put out 1000.00 plus on a ring for myself - only to have it be reset to fit the finger. ;-)
cheryl