Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 22nd, 2005, 08:52 AM
Yeoman

Default Should children tip same % as adults?

Just wondering if children should pay the same % as an adult for tipping?
We booked 2 rooms: DH, 10 yr old and me, in one room. 2 son's 14 & 13 in other.
I am the one whom oversee's everything for my kids, just like any other mother.
I unpack thier clothes, clean up all of thier messes and make sure things are not out of control. I know we are on a cruise, relax and have fun, but I still am mom. I can't help it.

I know the waitstaff in the dining hall deserve all thier hard earned monies, but what about the room steward. If I am doing at least 90% of the work, why should I tip full price for the kids? Are we allowed to tip a smaller % if desired? Can we pay in cash?

The last cruise we were on, RCCL, the room steward, took care of kids only once, (we had 2 rooms again) brought them a movie and a couple of towels for the pool. That was it. He did nothing else and I had to tip him at least $75.00 for that?
Sponsored Links
Old June 22nd, 2005, 08:57 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Should children tip same % as adults?

Here's how I look at it. When I go to a restaurant with my wife I usually tip somewhere around 20% . When we go with the grandchildren, my tip is higher, not lower as the kids are usually more work for the server. Apply that same logic to cruising in my opinion.
Old June 22nd, 2005, 09:11 AM
Yeoman

Like I said before, I agree that the dining staff do deserve thier customary %, I have no problem with that. It's the room steward though. He/she get's a bigger % for not having to do much at all. Granted, he/she will change the toilet paper, wipe down the counter, give you fresh towels and make the bed. but if the room is clean already, they do not do anything else. so why should they get tipped the same rate from the kids for that?
Old June 22nd, 2005, 09:26 AM
Admiral

Most adults usually unpack their own clothes, clean up any of their spills and keep everything in control. Why would being kids be any different? The reasons you stated above that the room steward would be doing, along with cleaning the bathroom and vacuuming the floor are what he should be tipped for doing. That said, if you feel he hasn't earned the full tip, don't leave it. Think about how you would tip if you were all in the same room.

Old June 22nd, 2005, 09:34 AM
Yeoman

Nolou525........when you put it that way, it does make sense. But I think I will pay this time in cash......Last trip, the steward really did almost nothing. Normally we do tip 20% when we go out. I just think that if you tip upfront the service will slack off. Had it happen.
Hopefully, it won't again. I will tip for all a good standard tip, but will tip a better tip to those whom go above and beyond. Thanks........
Old June 22nd, 2005, 09:53 AM
Admiral

We also tip good when the service is good. I do agree that if the tip is already paid then service could slack off. We were lucky on our cruise. The room steward, Donald, was superb. We even tipped him extra in cash on the last day.

(I hope I didn't sound to nasty because I know from your other post that you seem like a nice person.) :o)

Old June 22nd, 2005, 10:03 AM
Yeoman

Nolou525........don't worry about it. I just wanted opinions. thanks.
Old June 22nd, 2005, 10:42 AM
cruisingrandma

I dont know about all of u but I also clean up after myself. But the cabin stewards do make up the beds and change towels and vacuum the carpets. and clean the bathrooms and turn down the beds at night. Well that has no age limits on it. they do for adults as well as for children. Just like tipping for food. I dont see why they should be tipped less for children. i agree they do the same or more for children. i am a grandmother and I know all about kids. They can be slobs jsut like some adults. Happy cruising........
Old June 22nd, 2005, 11:04 AM
BDugan

last year my 2 kids, ages 6 and 12 were in the cabin with us and we paid thier tips. We also like to give extra in cash. Going on the Legend in 8 days and plan to do the same.The service people really work hard to make sure you have a nice vacation and they really don't get paid that much!
Old June 22nd, 2005, 06:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I used this as a learning lesson for my teens. We had prepaid the tips for both rooms, but the boys had their own room, so i gave them some one's and fives, and they kept it in their safe, and if they ordered room service or asked for something special, they then tiped. It was fun for them, and helped them understand the service industry. Anything left over, was added to some extra at the end of the cruise, and given to their steward on the last night, with their thanks for a job well done.
Old June 22nd, 2005, 06:28 PM
Yeoman

Luanne........that is a really nice idea...I'll try that one for ther boys. Thanks.
Old June 22nd, 2005, 06:38 PM
bjkeen

Tipping is automatic. They put it on your charge card or ATM when you first go to Check In. The crew does as much or more for children as adults, so I vote yes for tipping. The other aspect to consider is this; the employees make something like $2.00 per hour from the cruise company. The tips are their main source of income. From my experiences while aboard cruise ships I can say that the crew members work their butts off. Our Waiter and Assistant Waiter worked 12 hours a day, seven days a week until their next day off.
Old June 22nd, 2005, 07:52 PM
Admiral

I am not sure what one means when they say they tip a percentage on a cruise. The recommended tips are so much per person per day. This applies to all passengers and not just adults. Kids often required more care than the adults do. The amount of tip is up to the individual but if the person has worked and earned his suggested tip then you should provide it. If they have done very well then you should tip more etc. You concious is your only true guide. Also understand that the average 'stiff' rate is around 18% which is very embarassing for us as a group.
Jim

Old June 22nd, 2005, 07:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

We've always tipped the regular amount for the kids, even the cabin attandant had to make up their beds, change towels, etc...then there is the restaurant staff, they go out of their way to make sure the kids get food they like, its worth it to tip them the same.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 23rd, 2005, 07:41 AM
Admiral

I use the automatic tipping amount as a guideline for my tipping. I have the tips taken off my account, i pay my tips in cash. If the service is stellar, above and beyond i will tip more than the guidelines. If the service in general is good overall i will tip the suggested amount. If the service is lacking i will tip a bit less. I never stiff, i always tip.
Doesn't matter if its adults or kids
Old June 23rd, 2005, 10:03 AM
Happy Camper

To each his own. Do what you feel is best at the end of the cruise. You will know what you want to do... I do think they are automatically added now to the Sail and Sign per person but I think you can ask for that to be taken off.... Debbie