Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 26th, 2005, 12:17 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy
Default thinking out loud

Just sitting here thinking of the cruise lines -- and the employees that work on them. I wish they would have an article -- or show about 'living on the cruise ship' for the employees just out of curiosity. I don't know how they can work 10 hours a day 7 days a week for 8 months at a time and still have such a wonderful disposition! I don't think I could do it. I love my cruises -- but also enjoy land life too! Guess you have to be a special person to work on the ships. Anyone know the pay rate of these people? To be away from their home and family for so long, they must pay well??
cheryl
Sponsored Links
Old June 26th, 2005, 07:28 AM
bjkeen

Default wages

the last cruise I took I asked the Assistant Waiter how much money did she make per hour? She said $2.00 per hour. Not much huh? That's one reason that I always pay my tips.
Old June 26th, 2005, 09:16 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy
Default Re: wages

You are kidding! 2.00/hour! OMG -- thats awful. I guess thats why they auto take out the tips -- but for about 2000 people at 2.00 pp/day - thats 4000/week. Unless I calculated wrong, it still is good money when you think of it. Has to be - or they wouldn't be people working. Then again, we don't tip the CD, etc. I always tip too -- and extra -- they do an awesome job.
cheryl
Old June 26th, 2005, 09:51 AM
Phil & Liz

Default Re: thinking out loud

So many of the people are from poorer countries where it is worth it to them to suffer abit being away from home etc so that they can send at least some money back home to support their families.

Phil
Old June 26th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Admiral

Kuki (or Jim or someone) just posted the "stiff" rate - I don't remember what the number was, but know it was higher than I thought it would be.

There actually *was* a show about cruise ship workers awhile back - can't remember what the name of it was, though.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old June 26th, 2005, 01:09 PM
First Mate

Not all of them can keep a wonderful disposition. One of my room stewards was on her last nerve and looked ready to cry every day. I can't say I blame her.
Old June 26th, 2005, 01:22 PM
venice

now that would be a good reality show..have some of the cruisers who don't tip, swap jobs with crew members for a week and see how they would react if after the end of the cruise they got stiffed
Old June 26th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Beginner

if you go to *** there are a few on there that have worked for RCCL and some different lines. They will tell you exactly what they made when working. Surprizingly even with the low wages they seemed to have liked their job.

**Edited by moderator to remove reference to competitive website.
Old June 26th, 2005, 02:16 PM
rhonda Dean

Default Re: Re: thinking out loud

I don't want anyone to take this the wrong way, but the American young people these days need a little nudge in the department of pleasantry!! I believe that is why most employees of the ships are from other countries. I am a born american!!! Love America, but I am always shocked when I get good help these days! I should be shocked when I get bad service, but in today's world it is the other way around. I own my own business, and it is hard to get good help with a smile. My husband is a professional musician and spends his days and evenings entertaining people, and I cut hair, and make america beautiful So, when we go on a cruise, we really enjoy being waited on, and it has always come with a smile. I hope this will still be true in october when we head out on the elation I know the pay isin't that good, since my husband has been offered a job before, but the problem is, that his real money comes from, weddings gala's, etc... here in houston, so going away for several months is not an option. He would lose a lot of money. But, we do enjoy our cruising.

Rhonda
Old June 26th, 2005, 03:12 PM
Yeoman

Not everyone gets tipped, and many of the tips are split several ways, the bartender, the cocktail waitress, the waiter in the restaurant and the chefs and bus boys. Even the cabin stewards have to split their tips with others. They all do an amazing job, and even if they are cranky, they should still be tipped. Just remember, some of them are away from their families, including their children, for months at a time. And they do it to provide a better life for their families. Even if it is $2.00 and hour + their tips, it is a lot more money than most of them would be making otherwise in their own country. It makes me really appreciate what I have here, and that I see my family as often as I want. I know that most of us tip, and some VERY generously, but if you ever think about not tipping because of less than par service, just think about how you would feel, especially towards the end of your run, not seeing your family for months. These people deal with us demanding people day in, day out, week after week, and we can be pretty demanding of them sometimes. Always try to give a little extra if you can.

Carnival Liberty
Old June 30th, 2005, 07:25 PM
First Mate

AND!!!!!!!!!not only tip extra, but I was talking to my room steward, and asked if we wrote a little not on the bottom of the survey about how wonderful they were and used their names would they be told that it was written, and he told me that not only are they told but they get hung up and everyone jokes who got complemented and who did not and it helps lift their spirit., so eveyone please write names.they love it.
Gail
Old June 30th, 2005, 08:36 PM
tinna

when went on my cruise, i gave my waitress and my room steward extra right along with 10 a day.
Old July 5th, 2005, 03:47 AM
Cruise Maniac

We left an envelope with cash in the cabin for our steward with a note thanking her for courteousy and we gave our waiter Adrian an envelope with cash and a note thanking him for making our dining enjoyable. We signed our names and put where we were from and told them we felt like part of their family for a week and wished them well and we made them part of our family while on board.. It is well worth the extra tip for what they do.

Carnival Celebration
Holiday-2005
Old July 5th, 2005, 08:00 AM
Admiral

Pretty good deal for the cruiselines, huh? Considering what they charge you for your cruise, drinks, pictures, bingo...they are making out like bandits!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas