Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 27th, 2005, 11:22 AM
First Trip

Default Dining Table Size

I'm going on the Triumph this summer.

How big are the dining room tables? I've heard anywhere from 2-10 people. Which is most common? Which is better? Do you get lesser service and passed over at a table for 2... since the staff is more focused on larger tables?

Is 10 too big? That's alot of people. I feel like 4 is too small because if the other 2 people there are "undesireable" , you are stuck with them and only them.

Can you even request table size? In advance? or upon arrival the first day?

Any words of wisdom are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old June 27th, 2005, 11:34 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Dining Table Size

Yes the tables are from 2-10 people. Not sure how they group people but on our cruise we had a table for 10, yet there was only 4 of us at it. We are a 40 something couple and the other couple was 20 something. Don't get me wrong, we had a wonderful time with them (we even were on an excursion with them and to the shows) and they were very nice. The negative was we have children not much younger than this couple so it was weird. It was like we were with "our kids". It could have been that there should have been 6 other people at the table but they chose not to eat in the dining room. Anyway, if the first night you get a small table with obnoxious people, check with the maitre'd about changing either the table or dining time.

Old June 27th, 2005, 12:50 PM
Yeoman

You can check you table assignment as soon as you get on the ship. If you are not happy, you can change it. You can change it at any time if you are not happy as long as there are tables available. We always like the tables for 2 as we are a gay couple and never know how people will take to us.

Carnival Liberty
Old June 27th, 2005, 02:36 PM
Admiral

If you booked thru a TA, you should have been asked what size table you prefer. And yes, you can request a change once on board. One of the things we do as soon as we board is to check out our table in the dining room. Your table number should be on your sail and sign card and it's nice to see where you will be seated in case you want to request a change.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old June 27th, 2005, 06:24 PM
WendyB

Last year on the Elation, they did a great job matching us up with our table mates. We were a couple in our early 40's and we were seated with three other couples, all just about the same exact age.

I'm hoping they do as well this trip. Me and my friend Laurie are going in SIX DAYS!!! Woohoo!

Wendy
Old June 27th, 2005, 06:47 PM
tinna

i just got off the triumph, my son and i had a table for 2 and our service was very very very good.
Old June 27th, 2005, 07:10 PM
Admiral

My husband & I enjoy a larger table size for the reason you stated, First, better odds of having someone there you can relate to. Although last time we got stuck with a dorky family, the grandfather made a stupid comment (which he thought was funny) the first night and we were subjected to hearing it night after night...the only decent person there was their older son. But you take your chances! We certainly didn't linger after the meal, but on another cruise at a large table, we enjoyed everyone there from different areas of the world!

I'd still always take a large table...

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old June 27th, 2005, 10:11 PM
Boater

Does Carnival have a purpose and logic in how they assign tables? By age? or is it random?

Whats for lunch?
Old June 27th, 2005, 10:42 PM
Yeoman

I was told that they try to seat people in like age groups, and seat single couples travelling together with other singles. This makes no sense for me as we are a gay couple and they usually try to sit us with single women. Oh well...this is why we like to try to get a table for 2.

Carnival Liberty
Old June 27th, 2005, 10:46 PM
DENISE H

on our last cruise we had a table for eight we meet some nice people and we had great service
Old June 28th, 2005, 07:40 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Dining Table Size

tables for 8 are the most common. Tables for 2 can be a bit scarse.
Old June 28th, 2005, 09:40 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Mattp

Last time we went we were seatead with another couple our same age (in our twenties) and from the same area, we are from Chicago and they are from Milwaukee. It was great conversation and we still stay in touch and plan to meet for a baseball game or something!
Old June 28th, 2005, 07:05 PM
Captain

On the Coquest we were at a table for 8, all of us were in the retirement years, great folks, really enjoyed the conversation with them..... All 8 showed up each evening for the meal except one night..... Real nice to try & make a few new friends.....

Conquest .... Nov /03 (New Orleans)
Conquest .... Dec /05 (Galveston)
Celebration.. Sept /06 (Jacksonville)
Fantasy....... Dec/07 (New Orleans)
Splendor...... Nov. 29th, 2009

Splendor...... Nov. 28th, 2010 (booked)
Old June 29th, 2005, 11:43 AM
Admiral

We ask for large tables as well for many of the same reasons as given here. You should be able to find at least some people at the table that you really get along with. It is actually a table and not a booth which I cannot sit at because of physical reasons. The tables are usually at a window or in the center of the dining room. They somehow usually do a great job of seating people with others that are compatible. For Fitzla and any other gay or lesbian couples or individuals it is usually great to ask for a large table as you can usually find good people to share with. When a gay couple askes for a table for four or six the ship does not know they are a couple and often seat them with other singles with a 50/50 gender if possible. Ask for a big table.
Jim

PS Wait a minute, If you ask for a big table the chances are I won't get one.......ask for a small table! <VBG>

Old June 29th, 2005, 02:57 PM
Yeoman

Jim, thanks. We have actally never been at a big table for fear of not being compatible with anyone, but I think I will try it this time. Last cruise on Carnival Pride, we actually met up with a few people from the Cruise Mates community, and ended up spending a lot of time with them on the ship and in the ports. At night, we would do the bar tour on the ship, and have made friends for life.

Carnival Liberty
Old January 23rd, 2006, 12:24 AM
Cruise Maniac

Can you ask for a certain table size ahead?

Last cruise we wen't with my in-laws, so it was just family at our table.

It just dawned on my husband and me that we might be assigned to a table with another couple. yeah - we'd live through it, but I'd much rather have a table for four.

Thanks for any info.