Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 28th, 2005, 11:47 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default travel documents questions

Hi, I was curious to see what kind of feedback I can get on a particular question that has to do with traveling out of the country.

Recently, I have used my birth certificate ALONG WITH my driver's license to travel with. I realize that before long, everyone will be required to have a passport and using the "combination" will no longer be accepted.

Here is my question......has anyone heard of or been told that the last name on your Driver's license has to MATCH EXACTLY to the name on your BC?

A friend is concerned because she is divorced and now her "married" name obviously won't be her "birth" name. She was told (by her travel agent) that she needed her Marriage license AND her Divorce papers in order to use the "combo".

Can someone please set me straight? Good grief, I've been married twice and I can only imagine what trying to drag up all that paperwork would be like.

She is going to obtain a passport in order to travel without hassles, but I can't help but be curious if there is any truth to this.

Thanks,

Lisa

Old June 28th, 2005, 11:53 AM
Admiral

Default Re: travel documents questions

Without that paper trail how would a birth certificate for Martha Smith be "tracable" to a drivers license for Martha Jones.
Best thing is to get a passport .
Or alternatively , get a passport.
Old June 28th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Passenger

For our recent cruise, I brought along my birth certificate, driver's license, and marriage certificate (just to be safe since my driver's license doesn't match my birth certificate). No one asked to see my marriage certificate. That doesn't mean that it can't happen, though. I don't see how you could ever prove that you are the name on your birth certificate if your name doesn't match unless you can show why your name is different now. If you don't have a passport (safest way to go), probably best to have your marriage certificate with you. Would hate to be denied boarding over a little thing like that!
Old June 28th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

You're right..........but, I'm still curious how the travel agent came up with the info.... I have looked on several government/travel websites and all I see is until December when passports will be the only accepted "id", that a BC and photo ID will be enough.

Nowhere have I seen anything that states the names have to MATCH. My name doesn't match the name on my BC either.

Thanks

Old June 28th, 2005, 12:18 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to DPMinc

I know that a good travel agent will tell you either a passprt or DL with an original BC/certified copy of the BC will get you on the ship. However if the DL and BC does match, the TA will tell you to bring the marriage license with you to connect the 2 last names. What would you do if the customs officials asked for it, and you did not bring it, better safe than sorry.

Paul

Norwegian Dream, Sun, Spirit
Royal Caribbean Grandeur/Sea
Old June 28th, 2005, 12:47 PM
Admiral

if you are a woman and you have ever been married and you took your husband's last name, your birth certificate will never match your driver's license. The customs agents assume this and 9 times out of 10 they will not ask a women for her marriage license.( i would bring it along anyway) We have cruised post 911 and had no problems. Its not going to matter soon anyway, because you will need a passport .
Old June 28th, 2005, 01:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

My last name changed twice and my TA told me (and this was back in 1999) I had to bring my birth certificate, driver's license, 1st marriage certificate, divorce decree and 2nd marriage certificate for a paper trail or a passport. Needless to say, I got the passport. It's much easier than taking a chance, especially post 9/11.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old June 28th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks to all of you..........She is going to pay the $97 and get a passport.

I finally convinced her that in the long run she'll be happy she did!!!

Old June 28th, 2005, 04:06 PM
First Mate

I had the same problem, only worse! My drivers license didn't match my birth certificate because I am married, but I changed my last name years before I was married (my whole family did). If I brought my marriage certificate it would have thrown another name into the pot. Of course I realized this while I was in the line boarding the ship. I broke out into a cold sweat thinking that I wasn't going to be allowed to board. Not to worry though, they run across this problem all the time and I checked in with ease. When it came time for the customs check in St. Thomas, it went like a breeze. I am getting a passport though because it will be required for our next trip.

Carnival - Spirit: Alaska (August 8, 2007)
Carnival - Miracle: Exotic Western Caribbean (April 9, 2006)
Royal Caribbean - Explorer of the Seas: Eastern Caribbean (January 2005)
Old June 29th, 2005, 11:51 AM
Admiral

Very few people have matching names on their BC and DL unless they are male or never been married. Immigration understands this. Problem is solved if they get a PASSPORT as that is the ONLY document needed and it does not matter what anything else has your name as so long as it matches your passport. Bottom line, get a passport and do it now as in less than 6 months you will need one for almost all travel outside the USA and in a couple of years you will have to have it for any travel outside the USA.
Jim

Old June 29th, 2005, 12:49 PM
First Mate

This past April on our trip I was very fortunate to have an excellent TA. She told me to take my marriage cert. and sure enough they asked for it! You just never know. Cruising this coming March and my husband and I applied for passports 2 weeks ago to beat any rush this winter!!!! Better to be safe than sorry!
Old June 29th, 2005, 01:41 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via Yahoo to karessamom

I wonder if with all these problems associated with name changes etc. is one (and only one of the many) reasons for the new passport requirements??