Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 28th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Sinking Ships

Please don't laugh.........I'm trying to convice a friend to go on a cruise and she is terrified that the ship will SINK.

Can anyone help me with any "hard" info to convince her that the chances of that happening are slim to none???

Thanks

Old June 28th, 2005, 05:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Sinking Ships

Lisa -

You may discover that even when you're armed with the facts of statistical averages backing you, your friend may remain reluctant to cruise. Respecting that individuals concerns is what friends do, and yet, you want to share your passion for cruising.

Tough spot, how to encourage someone to "do" something they are truly frightened about, while remaining sensitive to their feelings.

Is your friend hesitant about being confined, trapped or is the whole Titanic thing going on here? With receint shark attacks along the Flordia panhandle, the concept of floating in the Caribbean while clinging to a deck chair is not comforting - and saying something light and whitty like, "how long can you tread water?" would fall flat too.

An old saying: A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion, still.

Perhaps by just backing off a bit and affirming your friendship even if your friend never cruises may enforce the genuineness of your friendship and gradually she'll open up to this crazy "cruise thing" we all enjoy so much ...

Willy
Old June 28th, 2005, 05:25 PM
Don Smith

It only takes one sinking ship to be a real problem...the one your friend is on
Old June 28th, 2005, 05:38 PM
tinna

if your friend can get on a plane and fly, then your friend can get on a cruise, that's if your friend flies. there's more planes going down the cruise ships sinking.
Old June 28th, 2005, 07:18 PM
Rosetattoo

There are sufficient numbers of lifeboats on the cruise ships to accommodate everyone and the lifeboats are HUGE, motorized and covered. If you sail in the Caribbean, you are never very far from land and sail past many islands, large and small, on your journey. I have a sister that refuses to cruise, sinking being one of the problems, her loss.
Old June 28th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Driving to the cruise ship is more dangerous than going on a cruise! lol!

Voyager-04
Elation-04
Ecstasy-04
Grandeur-05
Elation 7/3/2005~!!!
Celebrity Galaxy 12 night panama canal
12/17/2005!
[img]http://www.cruisemates.com/countdown.php?month=12&year=2005&day=17&hour=18:0
Old June 28th, 2005, 08:25 PM
Yeoman

Wow ! Your in a tough spot. Don't push her ! Somehow, this has got to be her decision to cruise. You could tell her all about the maritime laws and theres always enough life boats onboard for everyone.Its more dangerous driving to work, or more dangerous to fly, and ect. And I don't think it would matter one bit.

I would try to introduce her to a 3 or 4 day cruise first. Maybe if you and one of her other closest friends could go with her. Its going to have to be someone that she trusts without any hesitations. Just ask her to try it once, and if she don't like it, you want ask her again.
There's no doubt that she would love the expierance, and the cruise environment. If she did, she would be hooked for life !

Good luck
david

ps.
Ask her to tell you when the last cruise ship sank . Can she remember any ? The days of the Titantic are over. Just a passing thought !
Old June 29th, 2005, 10:52 AM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to Melanie

Until your friend makes up her mind that it's something she wants to try, you might be fighting a losing battle. My friend was terrified to cruise. Her fear was of being out on the ocean with no land in sight. She was convinced that she was going to have a terrible time and guess what....she did! Couldn't wait to get home. She had nothing good at all to say about the cruise. I think if her family had not forced her to go and she had went under different circumstances she might have enjoyed it more. She vows to never set foot on a cruise ship again and I believe her.

My mother in law has the same fear. I had planned on "forcing" her to go with us next year by paying for her and giving her the cruise as a gift. I wont try that now after my friends experience. I will just have to let her decide on her own when she wants to go and if that day never comes, so be it.

Melanie

Paradise - January 2009

Paradise - April 2008
Carnival Pride - Nov 2007
Paradise - Sept 2005
Carnival Pride - Nov 2004
Ecstasy - Jan 2004
Carnival Pride - Nov 2003
Elation - Nov 2002
Old June 29th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to felway17 Send a message via Yahoo to felway17

I did a quick scan on google these are most recent articles I have found on it...

One thing is common.... no one died..

Jan 2004 Pride of America Sinks... in dock
http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/s...2/daily39.html

Dec 2000 Cruise ship sinks.. only crew on board.. all survie
http://archives.cnn.com/2000/US/12/18/ship.rescue/

May 1999 Cruise ship sinks 1200 aboard all survie
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/st...298973,00.html

Old June 29th, 2005, 12:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks to all of you........this has really been helpful.... I have let her read the posts and I think she has enjoyed them.

Who knows? Maybe one day, right?

Old June 29th, 2005, 03:34 PM
Happy Camper

Also how about a one night cruise to nowhere - all the cruise lines have them though not often. Also how about a day or dinner cruise close by - don't know where you are from but we have them her on the Golf Coast - Houston/Galveston out of Clear Lake you can take a 150' yacht out for 2 hours on a day cruise for $20 a person. Work on her slowly if she is really scared. AND DON'T take an old gambling boat out - they are the worst!! Old and decrepit - I went on a gambling boat out of Galvseton when they were here before my first cruise and almost backed out of going!!! The ship must have been 100 years old!!! Debbie
Old June 29th, 2005, 04:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Modern cruise ship are virtually unsinkable because they are now built in "zones" and they are able to completely cordon off areas of the ship which may be damaged or in danger.

You won't see the old Poseidon Aventures scenes of water running amok throughout the ship anymore.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old June 29th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Captain

I was in the Navy back in the 60's & was satationed on destroyers (the real NavY)... Our ships were small & went through typhoons, got sick for a week & never got sick after that.... Seas were so rough that the props lifted out of the sea on the swells.... Not trying to scare you but we never sank or took on water.... We did the Conquest back in Nov. 2003 & hit some HIGH seas, we had a front cabin & you could hear & feel every crashing wave, felt like we were hitting big logs or trees..... Now being in the Navy I knew we were OK & told my spouse several times that we were not sinking!!!!!! So here is a helpful hint, get a middle cabin in the lower deck, much better ride.....

Conquest .... Nov /03 (New Orleans)
Conquest .... Dec /05 (Galveston)
Celebration.. Sept /06 (Jacksonville)
Fantasy....... Dec/07 (New Orleans)
Splendor...... Nov. 29th, 2009

Splendor...... Nov. 28th, 2010 (booked)
Old June 29th, 2005, 08:15 PM
rhonda Dean

Hey, I have a friend that doesn't like being confined!! She won't go on the cruise at all! She gets nervous on islands as well. But, hey, loves to fly????? I thought it was interesting that she didn't jump at the chance to go on the last three cruises with us. Then, I over heard her husband say she was afraid of having an anxiety attack!! Oh, well. This is a friend that will take off work, and follow me everywhere!!! Not on a ship or Island.

Rhonda