Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 30th, 2005, 11:35 AM
Passenger

Default which deck is the best to avoid seasickness?

sorry for the overload of questions but I guess its becuase i sail in 2 days and getting a little anxious. i was just reading that the lower the deck the less motion sickness one is likely to exoerience. i always thought it was the other way around! My boyfriend and I will be in a balcony on the Verandah and now I'm worried that I'll be feeling most of the motion on that deck. I know i should be happy to finally have a balcony room, which i am, but i was just wondering if what i read is true...the higher up the more rocking you feel? Thanks for any answers

Paradise August 2004
Sponsored Links
Old June 30th, 2005, 12:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: which deck is the best to avoid seasickness?

It is true that the lower the deck is, the lower the motion. Also, being midship verses fore or aft will decrease motion. I have been on 8 cruises and have never gotten sea sick. Last year on the Carnival Glory the ship was moving quite a bit, but it did not bother me.

Inspiration - June, 2007
Carnival Valor - May, 2007
Carnival Glory - August, 2005
Carnival Glory - April, 2004
Carnival Destiny - April, 2001
Carnival Destiny - April, 2001
Sensation - September, 2000
Paradise - June, 2000
SS Norway - May, 1996
Fantasy - November, 1993
SS Norway - May, 1993
Old June 30th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Admiral

Do you get motion sick? Car sick or sick on amuesment park rides? If you do you are likely to feel motion on the ship and it may bother you. If you are not subject to motion sickness on land, the, it will likely not bother you at sea.
Old June 30th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Passenger

its not the deck your on that you should be worried about. but if you are midship
on any deck you should be fine.
Old June 30th, 2005, 01:05 PM
Admiral

The very best location for those that are subject to motion sickness as pointed out by PapaBill would be the lowest deck in the middle of the ship while the worst would be the uppermost deck at the very bow of the ship. Seasickness is really not that common as one may think but because it is so commonly talked about, some folks do become seasick just because they think they should be. <G> I do not want to downplay those that really do get sick as it is horrible for those that do without treatment. Look at the things PapaBill has pointed out and if those bother you then definately take precautions and meds before you feel sick. If not, don't worry about it and have a great time. The ships today really don't rock and roll that much.
Jim

Old June 30th, 2005, 03:38 PM
DENISE H

my mom and i like cruising on the riviera deck you can never feel it moving and its
very quiet another reason we like the riviera deck is when you come back from being on
shore you only have climb a flight of stairs to get to your cabin instead waiting for the
elevator
Old July 1st, 2005, 03:09 AM
Admiral

I loved Rivera deck we were in 1110 near the front of the ship, very little motion and quiet, also made going to the shore excursions easier cause you just walk down a flight of stairs. I hear mid ship is best for not feeling motion. Take bonine or Non Drowsy Dramaine at night just in case, half a pill a night did the trick for me no sea sickness.
Old July 1st, 2005, 08:04 AM
Admiral

Hubby & I always took one Bonine every morning without fail and never had any problem w/seasickness. If for some reason you do get to feel a bit queasy, do not, I repeat, do NOT stay in the room....go up on the deck and get some fresh air, but you'll be fine if you take a simple little tablet every morning....why risk feeling poorly on your vacation? And no drowsiness...

Enjoy!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old July 2nd, 2005, 10:21 PM
Passenger

I get a little motion sickness at times.I found if I kept something in my stomach It helped ALOT, like crackers or toast or something.You know, there is always something to eat on a cruise! Have fun
Old July 3rd, 2005, 02:07 AM
Admiral

I still felt sleepy even with just a half a tablet of Bonine so my advice is take it before bed each night worked like a charm for me. One night we had a storm at sea and the ship was rocking so I took a whole tablet that night no problems, but I don't weigh much so half works fine for me.
Old July 3rd, 2005, 10:42 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to zr2_Thunder Send a message via Yahoo to zr2_Thunder

I never ever had trouble, one night we were told to remove all items from our counters and secure free floating items that could cause harm, because we were about to try and go around a hurricane and we were hitting some rough waters.

Despite the fact that i almost rolled out of my bed afew times (lol) i had no troubles) my girlfriend on the otherhand didint feel so well to her stomach.

So i guess it effects some people and some people it dont.

Next Cruise:
Carnival Destiny: June, 2006
Old July 5th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Admiral

I know the original poster is already gone, but just in case someone else is wondering...

The concept is easy to illustrate. Take a pencil or pen and tip it back and forth while holding the bottom stationary. You can easily see how the top part of the pencil experiences a greater range of motion than the bottom. It's the same on a ship.

Cheers,
Michelle P.