Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 30th, 2005, 02:04 PM
RoniJon

Default Alcohol and Carnival

We're planning to take The Apprentice cruise out of NY on Sept 26, 2005. (8 nights on Carnival Legend). When I booked with Expedia I was told "yes alcohol is included" however upon checking with Carnival directly, I found that was not true. I thought about cancelling the cruise b/c although alcoholics, my boyfriend and I do like to drink on vacation.

So my question is... does Carnival truly allow a delivery of beer on the ship? Do you think I'd be able to ship a case of wine to myself on the ship? or does a company (i.e. Well Wishers) have special permission to delivery to the ship?

Also, as this will be our first cruise (we 40-50ish) any advice on any aspect of cruising would be appreciated.

We opted for a "guaranteed balcony" cabin. Anyone have any problems with that type reservation in the past?

Also, we're stopping (for very brief periods) in San Juan, St. Thomas nad Tortola. If anyone has any advice on incredibly interesting activities or fabulous beaches on any of those properties, we'd really appreciate the input. (We're not into shopping.)
Sponsored Links
Old June 30th, 2005, 04:10 PM
Happy Camper

Default Re: Alcohol and Carnival

Wellwishers and them do have special permission and pay fees to be allowed to deliver it onboard. I had 24 Coronas delivered for around $50 that was much cheaper than the cruise - they do deliver stuff not on the website so I would call them. I usually bring 2 bottles of wine with me in carryon no problem - just make sure they are not open - they did check that once on me. I bought a Chateu St Michelle Riesling on board for about $21 at the bar and that I thought was very reasonable as it is an $8-9 bottle at the liquor store. The cruise bars seem to be more reasonable than a restuarant back home. Also bring a cork screw with you and open it yourself in your cabin so you do not pay the corkage fee at dinner. Or if you buy the bottle on board they did not charge the fee.. Not worth lugging all the extra weight personally - we tried it once and decided just to realize the extra price ahead of time - way too much weight to carry. Try wellwishers for the beer - I think their wine was higher than buying through Carnival. By the way - different bars have different wines on board. Debbie
Old June 30th, 2005, 06:51 PM
Passenger

Last year we took some Capt MOrgans Spiced Rum in plastic ice tea bottles to add to our mixers, and light colored alcohol can be placed in a plastic water bottle. Then carry those in your beach bag and keep in your cabin to add to mixers. We also took a bottle of wine with us, and our travel agent delivered a botttle of wine to our cabin - we were not charged the corkage fee, although they sometimes do.. Have fun.
Old June 30th, 2005, 06:55 PM
Passenger

Forgot to answer your other questions. Trunk Bay in St. Johns is wonderful for snorkeling and swimming., if there is enough time at dock for you to take a taxi to the ferry, take the ferry over to St John, and then take a taxi to the beach. They have a marked underwater snorkel trail with pictures of different sea life that you may see there,. there are also restrooms and a small luncheon shop. Coki Beach in St Thomas was good for snorkeling, but can get quite crowded. We had two clerks arguing over who would get us snorkel equipment, chairs, etc. The day we were there they ran out of chairs and we had to sit on a rock. Sapphire Beach is not as nice as the other beaches, but some recommend it because there is no fee for the beach or chairs, and they have a grill and small grocery store there.
Old July 5th, 2005, 11:09 AM
RoniJon

I contacted Wellwishers about the beer delivery and they seem quite open to the idea. I had asked if I could purchase my own wine basket to have delivered but that they would not do, they want customers to purchase their quite expensive wine from their site. I did however, ask about Wine Coolers in addition to the beer but haven't heard back yet.

So if we bring our own wine to dinner with our own corkscrew, they'll allow us to open and drink with our meal? (AHH, but will they let us leave the dining area with an unfinished bottle? Not that that's incredibly likely! :-))
Old July 5th, 2005, 11:20 AM
Happy Camper

I don't think you can open your own wine at dinner - we open ours in the cabin and have it before or after dinner but do not bring it to the dining room. I do get glasses at the different bars and drink it while stolling around the ship at night - no charge for glasses... Also have taken a bottle to the alternate dining and enjoyed it there... I think they do not let you leave the dining room with opened bottles but I could be wrong - they will store it for you till the next night where they bring it back to you at dinner.

The best way to order wine is through Carnival.com and they have a wine selection of Bon Voyage gifts I think but they have a bunch of wines listed on their website you can order and have delivered to your cabin or dining room table. We chose the cabin but they delivered it to the dining room instead and I had to go and ask for them to change it. A few years ago they had a deal that the first bottle was full price and the second was 10% off and the third was 20% off etc. Not sure they still do this. I found that other than the 10% or 20% discount the price for the wine on board was the same so I now buy it at the bars when I feel like the wine.. Not bad prices really - Chatueau St. Michelle Riesling was $23 at the bar and it is $8 in the liquor store back home.. Debbie
Old July 5th, 2005, 11:52 AM
First Mate

Ronijon,
I just had a very bad experience with well wishers,I ordered a case of beer (budwiser), and specified I wanted cans so we can bring them up top deck, specified 24. the cost was $ 60.00. still cheeper then carnival $ 3.75 each. I wanted it gift wrapped with a card to my husband. I thought they might send a few nuts or something seeing it was a chhep beer, WELL.............the surprise was on me it came in a whiskey box (not wrapped) my card was just a note taped to the box for everyone to read no envelope, and it was 12 bottles. now I had to go buy a can openner in the gift shop fo $ 6.00.as they were not scew off , I was on the phone so fast with them, and it has been almost two weeks for them to credit my account and they still have not, I told them I would be all over this board if they do not and well time is up.
so buyer beware.
Gail
Old July 5th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Admiral

Carnival allows you brings aboard in your carry-on a reasonable amount of wine/champagne for your personal consumption - usually 2 bottles per person. You may enjoy your wine in your stateroom or you may have it served with dinner- paying the corkage fee. If you want your wine chilled, deliver it to the Maitre D that afternoon.
Old July 5th, 2005, 07:48 PM
Captain

hey Gail F., please keep me posted on how you make out, as I was planning to have some coronas shipped in from them for a November cruise, but have not ordered through them as of yet
Old July 5th, 2005, 08:53 PM
spacey31

1st timer here please help me!!!!

Can you bring Volka?? on your carry on?? I like screwdrivers or other things mixed with volka. Will they ck it?? and take it away from me before boarding? I dont understand why you cant just bring a case of beer with you on the boat?? or can you??

I also e-mail wellwishers and still havent heard back from them?? I am also leaving out of mobile, AL!!

Also another ? can I bring a fold up cooler to keep in my room??

Thanks soo much
Old July 5th, 2005, 09:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ro
Default Re: Re: Alcohol and Carnival

Spacey I was on a tight budget last yr on my first cruise. I went and purchased a travel size bottle of rum in a plastic container that was easy to pack and unbreakable. See if your local store has a travel container sealed in your favorite liquor. I do have to tell you I never did open the bottle and just brought it home as I stayed with the special of the day which were afforable and tasty! Ro

Inspiration-2004, 2005, 2009
Glory- 4/26/2009
Sensation -4/2007, 10/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old July 5th, 2005, 09:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

We brought a fold up cooler, and had bottled water in it. No one said anything.