Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 30th, 2005, 02:17 PM
RoniJon

Default Carnival Legend

We'll be sailing the Carnival Legend out of NY in Sept and was wondering if anyone has reviews of the ship, the cabins (we're booked in a "guaranteed balcony" cabin), the cabin amenities (tub, or only shower, blow dryer, shampoo AND conditioners, robes, refrigerator, etc), the entertainment, the "formal" dining room (the one that costs $25 to book), the informal dining room, the 24/7 food availability (it's not just pizza, is it?), the INCLUDED beverages (what are they besides coffee?), and anything else you deem important for first-time cruisers to know.

We're 40-50ish and prefer childless vacations, but it sounds like Carnival caters to them little ones, but are there sections of the ship where they aren't so abundant?
Sponsored Links
Old June 30th, 2005, 02:51 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to formulachk
Default Re: Carnival Legend

Hi,

I was just on the Legend a couple of weeks ago, we had an obstructed view with balcony doors. the rooms are a nice size they even have a little couch and mini bars. In our room we had just a shower. I'm not sure which rooms have tubs. in our cabin we had a small hairdryer in the drawer, but we brought our own. They do give you robes and there is a basket with some sample shampoos etc in the bathroom. I beleive there is shampoo and shower gel in the shower, but we also brought our own. I guess it depends how particular you are. The entertainment was pretty good although the comedians could of been better. The golden fleece (i think that's what it's called) is now $30 I believe. They will have people advertising the restaurant and you can call for reservations. I didn't go because we had so much fun in the dining room with the people at our table. The food was very good in the dining room. Carnival does cater towards little kids, but you'r going in September so most kids should be in school. I really didn't see a lot of kids like I did when I went in August. There is pizza 24/7 and ice cream and there is always room service. Iced Tea, Fruit punch, orange juice and lemonade. Hope this helps, if you have any other questions let me know.

Rachel

Carnival Legend 6/2005
Sovereign of the Seas 8/2004
Carnival Inspiration 1/2004
Old July 1st, 2005, 11:07 PM
Passenger

Hi,saw your post.Sailed on the Legend 2 years ago.I f you cruise when school is on,there wont be too many children.The ship has lots of food.Room service is free and you can order from the menu in your room.The Lido deck has food.Before supper they clean up and put out a supper menu,if you dont want to eat in the main dining room.At midnight there is the buffet.Up by one of the pools there is a grill,with hamburgers,franks,salads,great french fries.You can eat breakfast up by the grill or in the Lido.They always have coffee,iced tea and a soft ice cream machine.The pizza is good ,they also have calzones and ceasar salad with chicken.Breakfast by the grill or in the lido has an omelet station,where they make omelets to order,also have fruit,creal,yogurt,milk ,juice,etc.You wont starve.Leaving from NYC is exciting,especially as you sail down the river into the ocean.The view is great,you will also sail under the Verrazano,also see the Statue of Liberty,bring camera.The cabins are ok.There is enought room for two.Dont forget to bring a pen,have all your documents ready to go.JK
Old July 4th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Maraprince

RoniJon,

Which sailing are you on in September? I am sailing on 9/2/05. If you are also on this sailing, come and join our little group.

You will have many food choices on the Legend. The 24-hour food court always has something to eat. It changes depending on the time of day. You also have room service to choose from as well.

Never ate in the speciality restaurants -- regular dining had enought choices and the service was good. You can get shrimp cocktail every night -- just ask your wait staff.

There are a variety of activities especially on sea days. Depends on what you like to do. I like that fact that all the entertainment venues, including the disco, are located on the same deck so you do not have to run all over the ship to get to them. You can hear was is happening in Sachmo's without having to go inside. Good house bands that play a variety of music from 50's, 60's etc.

Main boarding deck always has some type of live music from classical to country going on.

Cabins are much larger compared to those on NCL. Beds are full sized -- not twin -- and depending on your cabin configuration can be pushed together. There is also a large couch that is great for watching TV, taking a nap, or laying your stuff out for the morning.

The Carnival of today is more family oriented and not the "party ship" of years ago.

MARAPRINCE
Old July 4th, 2005, 04:20 PM
Bee

Hi" We are going on Legend December 3-11-05 out of fort lauderdale, 4 of us my husband and I and my brother and sister-in-law to panama costa rica and belize, an 8 night cruise. I have been on Carnival on Victory but none of the others have. So looking forward to it as I had a Great Cruise with my Daughter on Victory in May. Can't wait!!! I love cruising. Thank You for the information on Legend. Bee
Old July 5th, 2005, 10:59 AM
RoniJon

Default Re: Re: Carnival Legend

We're sailing out of NY on the Sept 26 "Apprentice" cruise... but thank you for the invite anyway. We would truly appreciate your feedback when you return as that should be about a week or so before we leave on the same trip.
Old July 5th, 2005, 11:03 AM
RoniJon

Default Carnival Legend-obstructed view

Rachel,

How "obstructed" was your balcony view? Did you book "guaranteed balcony" or a specific cabin? We booked "guaranteed" meaning they throw us into any balcony room available the day we sail. I've read the "patio" furniture on the balcony isn't very comfortable, any opinion on that?

Also read about THREE MOVIES per day. Is that PAY per view or are they included in cruise price? Also, do you know, and I don't believe there is but, is there a movie theater on board?

Thanks for all your tips.
Old July 5th, 2005, 11:04 AM
RoniJon

Default Midnight Buffet?

I thought I read someplace that they no longer have the MIDNIGHT BUFFET. Does anyone have an update on this? (and if they still have it, what's on it???)
Old July 5th, 2005, 11:07 AM
First Mate

I just returned from the Legend last week it was the nicest cruise I have been on, out of six. The staff were all so very friendly , the food excellent, and entertainment was great, and it was so clean and neat, any direct questions you can e-mail me, as I could talk about it forever
Gail F.
Old July 5th, 2005, 12:29 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to MrPete

Gail,

You said in my Legend review you had my favorite cabin....4237.

Did you like it? Did you write a review yourself?
Old July 5th, 2005, 12:59 PM
First Mate

Mr Pete, OMG did I like it, it was a different world out their, unfortuntely we missed a lot on the ship, because we lived on the deck , but thats what we really wanted this cruise was to relax and hit the beaches .
We did go to all the dinners, of course, and shows but yes we did love it, ,
we went around after the cruise was over and checked the other cabins above us and they were not as nice as that one , no I did not write a review but maybe I should as the entire cruise startng in N . Y. to the end was a great experience I am just not a good writer.
Gail
Old July 5th, 2005, 03:28 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Coralb

I finally got some good reviews about the legend! We're leaving this fri on the legend. I want to be sure to get a massage how do you go about it? Should I book as soon as I board ship?Do you know of any boards where there are roll calls for the legend? The ones I went to had no response in reference to that date and ship and the message boards were not easy to navigate.
Old July 5th, 2005, 03:53 PM
First Mate

Coralb, I am not sure what you are looking for, but if you have questions about the ship or ports I can help you out, we did everything on our own, and had a great time.
Gail
Old July 5th, 2005, 04:10 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to MrPete

Gail.

My favorite picture back there!

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...49940724wIuiIm
Old July 6th, 2005, 07:06 AM
First Mate

Mr Pete
Do not do this to me I am still going thru withdrawal, but that is a beautiful photo,
Gail
Old July 6th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Chanin

OMG!! I am so jealous!! We sailed the Legend in January on our first cruise and I am still savoring every minute of it!! !! Everyone was fantastic! The 3 movies a day were free. They do have PPV also. I hope one of you are lucky enough to have Nick and Orlando in the dining room. Talk about service....WOW!! Drinks other than tea & coffee were assorted juices(fruit and apple), iced tea and milk. Bring a refillable sport bottle!! We also packed our swim suits in our carry on, had lunch and went for a swim. Your luggage might not get to your room until 11:00 pm, so put anything you will need in a carry on. And try the Grand Marnier souffle'.....to die for!! I hope you have as much fun as we did!! Just remember.... vacations are what you make of them!!!

Chanin
CCL Valor January '06
CCL Legend January "05
Old July 6th, 2005, 01:06 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to formulachk

Ronijon,

We did book a guaranteed inside cabin on deck 2, so we had a nice upgrade. Since our room was obstructed we couldnt go out on the bacony, but I did hear a lot of people saying how nice their balconies were. As far as I know they did have movies on the tv in the rooms running throughout the day and I'm pretty sure they were some pay per view ones also. As far as I know there wasn't a movie theater. I don't remember them having midnight buffets, but they did have the gala buffet the one night. Have a great time on your cruise, I'm such a big fan of the Apprentice that will make it even better. Feel free to ask any other questions.

Rachel
Old July 6th, 2005, 05:38 PM
Chanin

We had 1 midnight buffet, it was a Mexican Fiesta theme. Pretty tasty and the display is beautiful. They did show a movie in the Firebird Lounge, close enough to a theatre. By the way Carnival caters to everybody, but they do have Camp Carnival for teenagers on down. If so kids do happen to be there, they should be good and busy. Chanin
Old September 8th, 2005, 02:32 PM
donademarco

Default Re: Carnival Legend APPRENTICE

Hey guys!

I am going on The Apprentice Cruise too! Cat. 11 ste. I have started a group on Yahoo! for anyone going on that special sailing. See http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/cruisewiththedonald/

I have only had one guy ask for membership but then he never accepted so perhaps this posting can get us some additional cruisers for Donald Trump's Apprentice Cruise!

Amanda
Old September 8th, 2005, 08:29 PM
xMindyx

We are sailing on the Legend Sept 18th ~ Does anyone know if the pools were open when they first got on the ship , Or did you have to wait till day 2 to swim?
Old September 9th, 2005, 08:22 AM
D.G.

Just got off the Legend and had a great time. Rooms are very nice-shower only, but plenty of room. Blow dryers and robes in room. Our refridgerator was locked, so didn't request it to be opened. Brought some of our own beverages on . Also had balcony (which is a must for me). Love the air and watch the ocean pass by-sunsets are beautiful. Dining room is fun, food is good (not at good as Royal Carribean).. but good-waiters are fun -singing and dancing keeps you entertained! They "FUN SHIP" does have alot of kids on board, but they should be in school now-right?? Middle pool is where the band and games were, but we preferrd the back of the boat-adult only-pool. More roomand quieter. Shows were ok, Madusa dance club-fun, but loud. Satchmos lounge has great dance band - They play all kinds of music. Have fun!!
Old September 9th, 2005, 06:56 PM
D.G.

pools were open first day I believe. If not they very next morning. 3 smallish pools/ with hot tubs. Middle pool has all the action-band and games etc. but we sat at the back of the boat at the adults only pool. Quieter and roomier-near the slide too. tried that!