Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 2nd, 2005, 08:03 AM
s langham

Default New Orleans hotel for Sensation in January 2006

My friends and I are going on the Sensation in January 2006. We have only used the port in Galveston, due to proximity from our home, but our January 2006 cruise on the Elation was cancelled (ship going into drydock) and we have to reschedule within the same time constraints. We have a choice between the Ecstasy out of Galveston and the Sensation out of New Orleans, and my friends want to see New Orleans.

Now for my questions: We will be driving to New Orleans a day early so that we can see some of the sights AND not be rushed to get to the ship (it's an 8-hr drive to New Orleans from home). I am looking for a clean, decently-priced hotel/motel. Since we will be driving, who will let us leave our vehicle there while we are on the cruise? Do we need to arrange for parking @ an independent parking facility during the cruise? How do we get from the hotel to the port if we are leaving the car @ the hotel? Do the area hotels offer a shuttle service?

Sorry if these questions seem silly, but I'm used to getting into the car between 6-7 a.m., driving 4 hours to Galveston, leaving the car in a pre-arranged lot ($40/7 days) and the air-conditioned shuttle picking up us and our baggage and driving us directly to the port (about 3 blocks away). I guess the whole thing's easier when you're going directly to the ship.

I appreciate any and all help and suggestions.

skl
Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2005, 08:36 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to CZodda
Default Re: New Orleans hotel for Sensation in January 2006

Hi skl,

I'm not 100% sure about this as I've never been to New Orleans, but I have heard people say the Maison St. Charles Hotel is pretty good.

www.maisonstcharles.com/index.html

I hear they even have a Bon Voyage package that includes the parking for your car. Check them out and see what you think.

Have a great time on your cruise!

Cathy

Old July 2nd, 2005, 08:42 AM
s langham

Thanks, Cathy. I looked on Expedia, and (of course) there are no rooms available on the ONE NIGHT that I need a room.

However, I'm still confused about whether I leave the car @ the hotel while we're on our cruise, or if there's parking available @ the Port of New Orleans (for a fee, of course).

skl
Old July 2nd, 2005, 09:22 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: New Orleans hotel for Sensation in January 2006

If you want a sleep, park, and sail package, I've heard Holiday Inn Select near the Convention Center has one. It's right next to the Convention Center which is next to the Cruise terminal. If you stay the night with them, they will pay for your parking during the cruise in the Fulton St. Garage which is right next door to the hotel. I've heard they give you a parking certificate of some sort that you give the parking garage people. (The garage will, however, charge you a parking fee every time you leave and come back in your car during the stay.) Not sure if you have to pay for the night's parking that you actually spend the night there. The usual parking fee at the Fulton St. Garage is $12.00 a night. The cruise terminal people will direct you to this parking garage if you are just needing cruise parking also.

Look on this site: http://www.portno.com/cruise_info.htm
It will give you alot of good info on parking lots used by cruise people and driving directions.
Old July 2nd, 2005, 09:33 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to CZodda

Hi skl,

I believe you leave you car there at the hotel. Regarding no rooms available at Expedia, if I were you, I would call the hotel direct. Sometime they have rooms that are not available to Expedia, etc. By the way, I was reading about their Bon Voyage Package, and I think the parking is only $5 a night! Might be worth it to call the hotel direct and see what they have available.

Cathy

Old July 3rd, 2005, 03:05 PM
Passenger

We stayed at the Hilton Riverwalk (I think that is the name) next to the convention center last year and it was great. They had a cruise package then that was cheap plus they kept our car. We are sailing again this year in a few weeks and will be staying at the Maison St Charles because the Hilton didn't have the cruise package this year or it wasn't sold out, not sure which. I can let you know how the St Charles is when we get back. They have a great rate, keep our car and take us by limo to the pier. I think it has a nice location where we can take the trolly over to the French Quarter. Last year we ate at the convention center on the river to see the ships and then took a Ghost tour from the French Quarter.

What I'm am trying to say is that Maison St Charles looks really good and will keep our car. I would call direct to book even if you choose another hotel. That is how we found they had a cruise package. Other hotels may do the same.

Old July 3rd, 2005, 03:48 PM
Single Mom

New Orleans is a great town and one in which everyone should experience. When we go to NO, we normally stay at either the Omni Royal Orleans in the French Quarter or the Holiday Inn French Quarter depending on the rates. January is normally a quiet time prior to Mardi Gras. Check out hotels.com and see what you can find. I swear by them at times as they got us a great deal on Waikiki Beach over Memorial Day weekend - oceanview for $95.00.

Good luck and enjoy New Orleans. Make sure to visit Cafe du Monde!!!
Old July 4th, 2005, 09:03 AM
juana

We stayed at the Holiday Inn in the FRench Quarter's They have a park n Crusie special.
The hotgel is really nice and a block from Bourbon Street. We got up the next morning did breakfast and took a cab to the terminal. When we returned from the cruise...the taxi's were lined up and we walk straight to one that took up back to the hotel to get our vehicle. The hotel was in the perfect place....we were close to everything.
Old July 4th, 2005, 11:38 PM
kris14

I know they do have cruise parking at the terminal, I remember seeing the signs for it when we were there a few weeks ago. I have only stayed at the Doubletree and its very nice and within walking distance of the quarter,maybe a 5-10 minute drive to the cruise terminal. Definately have Cafe Au Lait and beignets at Cafe DuMond - yummy!! Also just a FYI as I have heard people mention in the past there its hard to find somewhere to purchase soda's etc.... near the cruise terminal, they have recently opened a new Walmart very close to the cruise terminal.
Old July 5th, 2005, 12:00 AM
alan vines

a wal mart in the french quarter....the world really is going to hell
Old July 5th, 2005, 10:30 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via Yahoo to karessamom

Maison St. Charles does have a website--just type Maison St. Charles on the search feature of your browser--can't post website anyway i don't think.

Old July 18th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Honeybear

BEST WESTERN LANDMARK HOTEL 800-277-7575
10 MINUTES TO FRENCH QUARTER
2601 SEVERN AVENUE - Metairie, LA, United States
This Hotel offers a Free Shuttle to the airport and the French Quarter. It also has free parking. http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwest...63&group=false
Here is a site you might want to check out www.neworleans.com
Old July 18th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Admiral

HoneyBear,

Thanks for the info on the Best Western. I've been searching for a hotel for October, and most of those recommended here and on other sites have been sold out already. This one looks convenient because of the shuttles without paying the high price of being in the French Quarter.
Old July 18th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Happy Camper

How about the Wyndam Riverside?? There is two Wyndams - the one on the RIverside is right across from the mall and the cruise terminal and walking distance to the French Quarter. We really liked it there. Also search the net for "New Orleans Hotels" or some such and find the discount sites for hotels in New Orleans - that is what we did - instead of using Expedia... Also some friends of ours got the "W" Hotel in the french Quarter for like $80 a night on Priceline - usually acouple of hundred a night... Debbie
Old July 18th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Happy Camper

By the way - why didn't they offer you the Conquest out of NEw Orleans for a week instead of the shorter cruises??? Debbie
Old July 18th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Mattp

Old July 18th, 2005, 09:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ro

I booked the Omni Royal New Orleans French Quarter. Signed up for the Omni return card online and got 99 dollars off the king size balcony facing St Louis St. Ck out the site online 99.00 for that room was awesome and close to alot of things. Ro

Inspiration-2004, 2005, 2009
Glory- 4/26/2009
Sensation -4/2007, 10/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011