Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 4th, 2005, 08:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Maggie
Default Do Kids need passport?

I am sailing on the Liberty on Dec 4/2005 with my two children ages 10 and 12 and we are from Canada. Do kids require a passport or what do they need? Remember, I'm from Canada.
Sponsored Links
Old July 4th, 2005, 10:33 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Do Kids need passport?

Directly from Carnival's website

Canadian citizens need at least one of the following:

- A valid passport An original birth certificate or certified copy of a birth certificate and photo I.D.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old July 5th, 2005, 05:52 AM
Admiral

Plenty of time to get a passport and then you will have no problems or issues.
Old July 5th, 2005, 06:59 AM
Captain

We are from Canada also and I have to say that for the investment of only $35 per child you can have this wonderful form of identification. We had an issue at the US border once and I was so glad that I had passports for my kids. I know the costs add up, but passports are worth the price.
Old July 5th, 2005, 08:51 AM
Admiral

AND beginning January 1, 2006, you will need a passport. If you plan on any travel after this year, a passport is a must.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old July 5th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Captain

Send a message via MSN to hockeyluver

Where in Canada are you ? We are just outside of Windsor Ont. We got the kids passports before our Dec 2003 cruise and i am so glad we did. My brother didnt have them for his boys and it seemed our check in went alot smoother. Also since they will be needed soon just to cross over into detroit we avoided the rush and the hassle.

Next up Elation Aug 23 '10
then the Miracle again Feb 7,2011
Miracle '10
Holiday '09
Legend '09
Triumph '08
Valor '07
Triumph '06
Fascination '04
Legend '03
Old July 5th, 2005, 04:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Do Kids need passport?

Hello HockeyLuver,

I can't believe it! I am from Leamington. Where exactly do you live? I see you were on the Legend in '03. I just got off the Legend April 12th. Was my first cruise and now am looking forward to the kids experiencing it. Liberty though this year.

Have you had all good experiences cruising?
Old July 14th, 2005, 11:54 PM
Captain

Send a message via MSN to hockeyluver
Default Re: Re: Re: Do Kids need passport?

Hi Maggie, I am in Emeryville between Belle River and Puce. We will be out your way this weekend in Kingsville for a soccer tournament. The Legend was our first cruise loved every minute of it!! We were spoiled our first cruise though we were bumped up from an inside to a balcony. We have our 3rd and definitly not last booked for Feb on the Triumph. Our kids 16 and 14 love cruising, instead of buying them useless junk they dont need at christmas we bring them on a cruise and have something that is truly priceless FAMILY TIME!!

Next up Elation Aug 23 '10
then the Miracle again Feb 7,2011
Miracle '10
Holiday '09
Legend '09
Triumph '08
Valor '07
Triumph '06
Fascination '04
Legend '03
Old July 15th, 2005, 06:09 AM
bjkeen

Everyone needs one starting in January 2006. Here is the State Departments link:
http://travel.state.gov/passport

You can read all about it. If you are renewing, you can do that on line. If you are applying for a new passport, you have to do that at a US Post Office in your area.
Old July 15th, 2005, 07:51 AM
Admiral

i would double check with Canadian Immigrations just to be on the safe side.
As the others have told you, after January 1, 2006 everyone traveling to the Caribbean will need a passport. Its just so much easier, less of a hassle when going thru customs with a passport.
Old July 15th, 2005, 08:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Do Kids need passport?

Hello hockeyluver,

You must be glad the NHL came to agreements.
I totally agree with you on the Christmas Vacation Idea. Family time is definitely far more pricless. That's exactly what I planned on this year. No gifts. Less headache too. No stress.
This will be my kids first cruise, my second. They are 11 and 12.

I also got bumped on the Legend from an inside to a balcony. Doubt that will be happening again but you never know.

I workout in Kingsville everyday at Total Fitness. Good luck with your soccer tournament.
Old July 21st, 2005, 05:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just a bit of interesting information I like to share with you regarding passports. I just came back from a trip to Guerrero, Mexico with three other friends. I"ve been to Mexico a number of times, but this was to be their first time, ever.

I kept pestering them about them getting their U.S. passports, but they seemed to take their sweet time about it. Finally, they all decided to get theirs back in March. Two of my friends got the surprise of their lives.

After waiting for approximately 2 and a half months, they received letters from the department of state for more information. We are all Puerto Ricans and U.S. citizens, and have been living in the U.S. for years. I myself have been here since I was 5 years old, and now I'm 38. One of my friends has lived here for 17 years, and the other for over 20 years. Check this out.

They were asked to send a copy of a state issued ID from Puerto Rico, copies of both of their parents's birth certificates, copies of their siblings's birth certificates. Both of them were totally flabbergasted because the only thing they have that proves their place of birth is their birth certificate. They have NO Puerto Rican driver's license, no electoral vote ID card, no student ID. They haven't lived in Puerto Rico for ages, and yet when they called to speak to an agent, and explained their situation, the agent wasn't able to help them. They were told that they needed to mail in the requested documents. Everything was so bizarre.

Since they couldn't furnish the mandated ID's they opted to mail in other documents. Their children's birth certificates, their marriage license, copies to the deed to their houses, immunization records, and God knows what else. One of my friends received her passport a week after mailing all that in , and the other is still waiting for hers.

She was able to travel with her birth certificate (which she had to call her father for in Puerto Rico so he could go get another one for her, since the only one she had, she had mailed in with her passport application). The lady at the airport told her she had until December to obtain her passport. She had no problems traveling to Mexico with just her birth certificate, but, boy , what a headache.

It seems to me that their applications were randomly pulled out for this harrassment. It just doesn't make sense to me. Why would they demand ID's from the country you were born in if you haven't lived there for ages? Why would they ask for a copy of your siblings's birth certificates?

If somebody can clear this out for me, I would appreciate it. My friends made a number of calls to the toll free number included in the letter, and none of the agents they spoke to were able to give them a clear answer to those questions..why?