Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 5th, 2005, 02:12 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Eaky77
Default Extra Tipping

Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering what a nice "extra tip" would be. When we went on our last cruise, we gave our cabin steward an extra $20, our waiter and assistant waitress we also gave them each an extra $20... then we gave our "drink girl" (she had our dinks already on the table for us when we got into the dinning room) an extra $10. I was just hoping that this isn't too cheap. We keep the tips on our sail and sign card as well. So what is the "norm" when extra tipping???

Thanks for your time!!

Erin

09-24-06 Destiny
10-02-05 Valor My favorite yet!
10-23-04 Triumph (Honeymoon of my dreams)
12-24-94 Holiday
Sponsored Links
Old July 5th, 2005, 03:28 PM
tinna

Default Re: Extra Tipping

i can't speak for everyone else, but, i kept my tips on too and i tipped my steward and his asistant 30.00 extra apiece(i felt they deserve that, when i asked for something the first time, i never had to ask again, they knew what to do and they knew what i needed)

that's not including my son tipping them as well(i don't know how much)

my waitstaff- extra 40.00 and again i do not know how much my son tipped.

i feel you tip how much you want to tip, some people don't tip extra and that is fine. i just like to give extra if the service deserves it.
Old July 5th, 2005, 04:19 PM
Yeoman

Its really based on whats in your heart, and how you felt about there extra service. If you feel $10.00,or $20.00 is enough, so be it.
On our last cruise,we tipped our bar attendant and her helper an extra $20.00, our room stewardess an extra $20.00.All this was extra, we did leave our prepaid tipping on our s&s card.

Just listen to your heart
Happy sailing and smooth seas;
david
Old July 5th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Admiral

It's refreshing to read this thread and know there are those of us out there who appreciate the cruise staff. We have always had wonderful service and also tip extra. I just don't understand what type of service or lack of that makes one "adjust" or take off their tips. I think everyone earns the minimum and work for extra. JMHO.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old July 5th, 2005, 05:20 PM
rosetattoo

Erin, I think you're right in line with what an average person tips for exceptional service. On our last cruise, whenever we ate breakfast in the buffet restaurant, there was a waiter who always greeted us warmly, cleaned our dishes off between runs to the buffet, etc., so we tipped him also.
Old July 5th, 2005, 05:27 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Eaky77
Default Re: Re: Extra Tipping

Thanks everyone for posting. I just get nervous that it isn't enough. I know when we went on our cruise in 94, my dad took care of it all, so I never knew. Those guys work hard, and they deserve it!

Erin
Old July 5th, 2005, 06:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to PeterV Send a message via Yahoo to PeterV

I'm curious, what do they do that merits a tip above and beyond the recommended amount? I really want to know this, as I have never experienced anything above what they were supposed to be doing!

Did they clean up your room and make the bed? What exactly makes the service exceptional?

In the dining room how did they go above and beyond? Did they take your order, deliver your meal and take away the dirty dishes?

Cheers,
Peter

Post Edited (07-05-05 17:47)
Old July 5th, 2005, 08:49 PM
tinna

peter, my room steward was very good, i told him i need extra towels because i like to have towels on the floor when i get out the shower and i like to have one towel in the chair, i never had to ask again, he always had the extra towels waiting from me, he also heard me tell someone that my lower back was hurting and i forgot my heating pad, when i got back to my room there was 2 instance heat pacts on my bed with a note from him saying(i hope this helps your back). he did not have too do that, that is not his job, but he went the extra step to make sure i did not have a bad cruise due to my back hurting.( that is why i gave extra, not counting him doing his regular cleaning)

2) my room steward also would open my door as well as open other peoples door if he saw you going to your room.(that also is not his job, i could open my own door, but just that little extra attention that he gave you made him special), so i had no problem with giving him extra.
Old July 5th, 2005, 09:55 PM
rosetattoo

Peter V...I have sailed on cruise ships where the staff just did their job, nothing extra, and I don't tip extra....but, when they go that extra mile, they deserve monetary recognition. On one cruise, our Room Steward overheard me in the hallway stating that I had forgotten my hair dryer and when I returned an hour later, there was a hair dryer on the vanity for my use for the entire week. I also mentioned to this wonderful man that I liked a lot of ice and he brought in a small cooler and kept it full of fresh ice for the entire week. As Tinna mentioned, I also like a lot of towels and they were always there, day after day. These may seem like small things to some people but to me it showed they were willing to extend themselves beyond making your bed, refreshing your towels and cleaning your bathroom. Wait staff also, some just do what is expected but most tune in to you and/or your group's needs from the very first night and that's what makes eating in the formal dining rooms special. They remember, first of all, everyone's name, that you like lots of ice in your water, a certain type of roll, that you love baked potatos and they bring you one every night with dinner and that your grandson loves chocolate ice cream and it's there before you have to order it, etc. They don't have to do any of this, their job consists of taking your order and bringing you the food and clearing it away. It's the special ones that get that extra tip.
Old July 5th, 2005, 10:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I tip extra, because it makes me feel good. I think your tip was right on. I also say thank you a lot and I smile.

Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old July 6th, 2005, 06:34 AM
Cat

I agree with rosetattoo, my kids loved the "skinny french fries" in the dining room, there were always 2 plates waiting for us when we got to the dining room. My kids didn't eat the lobster or the creme brulee' but the loaded up on "skinny french fries" and never had to ask, they were always there.

Good service needs to be rewarded!!

Cat
Old July 6th, 2005, 05:11 PM
Happy Camper

On Carnival the first test was to see (I think they do it now automatically) is if he could bring me a sheet across the whole bed that they would have to get from the suite room supply. If that was done with no problem (one steward told me no way) that was an automatic extra tip. After that we LOVE ice. We ask that it is not ever empty. We bring beer in the bucket to the room and that is iced and the wine is iced without asking. One cabin steward decided that my bon voyage gift of 24 Coronas needed to be cooled down in a refridgereator so had maintenance deliver one to the room and set it up for my use for the week... Various things. One steward gave us a wooden hand made cross his wife made when he went home to see family in Cozumel. We always talk to the stewards and find out about their families etc. One gave me the creeps when he introduced himself and looked into the cabin behind me and asked "Are you traveling alone????" Luckaly hubby talked to me on the radio then and I said "no". But he did turn out to be a good cabin steward even though I didn't feel very safe around him.... Debbie
Old July 6th, 2005, 05:12 PM
Happy Camper

By the way your extra tip is right in line with what tip for great service.. Debbie
Old July 6th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Passenger

I see nothing wrong with tipping extra IF extra (more than normal) service is rendered. What really bothers me is that in the past (before the automatic S & S add on) some tipped more than the "customary" tips and some tipped less, or not at all Now that there is an "established" tip, I'm afraid that many are going back to tipping as before and the first thing you know that automatic tip will be raised. Let's face it...not every cruise ship employee deserves more than the minimum tip. A tip is supposed to be for service above and beyond the "norm."
Old July 6th, 2005, 07:48 PM
Admiral

I was told TIPS stood for "to insure prompt service". I think a tip is suppose to be for services rendered and "extra tipping" is suppose to be for service above and beyond the norm.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old July 7th, 2005, 05:50 AM
tinna

for the most part the workers work very hard(yes there is a lazy one here or there) but for the most part they either do there job or go beyond there job.
Old July 7th, 2005, 07:22 AM
First Mate

I have to share with you what my room steward did, and this was before I even knew he was my room steward, I love cruisin, been on 6, but I still get a little anxious, about winds, and tipping over, just tell me it will not tip, and I am o.k.
The first day before we left port the skies turned black, the winds picked up just before the life boat drill, and OMG, I was nervous, I had this little anxiety attack I ran out of my room, I have no idea where I was going, but I had to leave, right outside my room was this guy, I was so nervous I did not even see that he worked for carnival he asked if I was o.k I asked him if we were in for a rough ride, and he opened the door, that just happen to be their , pointed to the ocean and said thats what you look for nice calm seas, which we have ,not the wind or the skies, we will have a very smooth ride he assured me . well by the time the drill was over the wind did stop, and the sun was out, You have no idea how I felt after that and every time he saw me he talked about the weather or what the seas was telling us he was awesome, to me that was way over and above.
Gail F
Old July 7th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Happy Camper

Gail - that was so nice of him! SOme are so nice and really make the cruise. A lady steward came up to Dad's room (he is cranky and very nervous and has handicaps) and I asked her about a shower stool and boy she looked at Dad and Mom and from then on took such good care of them - anything needed. The shower stool was there in 5 minutes. It would have been so different and hard on hubby and me if she had been mean, rude or just efficient but she was friendly and very kind to them and that took such a burden off us. We dragged Dad on so it was so important that he liked everything and I know he was nervous but everyone put him at ease. Debbie
Old July 7th, 2005, 06:45 PM
Beginner

Peter,
We have had some very good waiters and room stewarts and we have had some very bad ones. Its all about attitude...there's and yours! One waiter was so attentive to the man in the booth behind us at dinner because he had money and connections with the crew (he made that obvious) but our service was terrible because of his impartial attitude. And we felt like 2nd class cruisers. Did he take our order and bring our food? Yes, but he was not going above and beyond. We had a room stewart that was obviously impatient because we wouldn't vacate when she thought it was time to clean. Her attitude implied that we were putting her behind. I guessed she was a newer one. Contrast that with a stewart who acts like a stealth cat and you never see him but towels are magically appearing with regularity and if you do see him he apologizes for intruding on your privacy...he got a good tip! Thats the difference, I think.