Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 5th, 2005, 05:38 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to Isabel
Default Security - or lack therof

I travelled in a group of 24 girls on the Inspiration to Cozumel for a four day cruise and arrived back in Tampa on 7/4. We were on a Bachelorette cruise.

To make a long story short, I was attacked by passengers on the ship. Granted, we were making noise in the hall...we had just arrived back from the port. A woman stuck her head out, said some obscene things to us, we apologized...but this wasn't enough for her. Her brother came and attacked us, pulled me by my hair down the hall and continued to beat me. Two girls tried to come to my rescue, but were also attacked by another man and two women. Meanwhile, they managed to block my friends in our room to prevent anyone else from coming outside to help us. These animals stomped on us and continued to punch us.

My cousin called security TWICE, and was hung up on once. Besides being hung up on, it took security 16 minutes to arrive at our cabin.

The only reason they stopped attacking us is because my cousin told them that she had called security.

Carnival did nothing to the people who attacked us...we were only staying a few rooms down from them. We felt very unsafe and felt like prisoners in our cabin rooms because we were afraid of what would happen to us if we left our rooms.

Finally, we conjured up the courage to go to Bingo. When we arrived, our attackers spotted us, took pictures of us and were taunting us - telling us that they could do it again and were so proud of the bang up job (literaly) they did. We told Security, and we were told not to worry about it.

What happened to us was not Carnival's fault...however, Carnival did nothing to make us feel safe. No security, nothing. Carnival's staff was even making light of the situation, and didn't know that we spoke spanish. They claimed that we were high on drugs, and oh the face the man made when we confronted him about his comment. Besides that, one of the girls that was attacked has Lupus, and is on blood pressure medication. She had to beg someone in the infirmary to take her blood pressure, which was extremely high. The nurse was accusing her of not taking care of herself and didn't want to retake her blood pressure like she was supposed to.

We were concerned about our safety, and these animals were just a few doors down from us. Nothing done to make sure that we were safe, which is a responsibility of Carnival. We were on our own.

We did press charges against the people who attacked us...funny how a small woman would attack a man that is 6'2 and weighs 310lbs. That's a laugh. Carnival could care less about what happened and wasn't totally cooperating with the Tampa police. How can they only have a picture of one of their attackers, but they had a picture of every single girl in our group?

And by the way, our ENTIRE group had one ONE drink the entire time we were on the ship and Carnival told the police officers that we were trouble.

Yeah that's believable. We were on the cruise to have fun and we end up being attacked and are treated like scum.

Be careful because you are on your own with security.

Its a shame that this happened. In fact, we are going again on a cruise in two weeks for a family reunion...and I'm not so sure I feel totally comfortable doing that after what happened. We have worked so hard to organize this cruise, its such a shame to have to cancel it after all this planning. I might feel safer with my husband there. Who knows....

Stuff can happen to you anywhere, but it doesn't help the situation any when no one works to ensure your safety. Be careful!
Sponsored Links
Old July 5th, 2005, 05:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin
Default Re: Security - or lack therof

Isabel, definitely write Carnival and tell them of the situation.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old July 5th, 2005, 07:50 PM
Big Craig

I am sorry to hear of your terrible ordeal, ours was not as bad, on a RCCL Cruise, Voyager, teenage boys were running around the promenade area with there pants falling off( wearing no underwear) while there buddies were pick pocketing and purse stealing, I noticed all of it and could not get any staff to call security, communication is very bad, they speak broken english at best, luckily we did not lose anything but I was not happy about my 11 yr old daughter seeing all of this.
Old July 7th, 2005, 08:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Wow- what a horrible time to have on a trip, I just can't imagine anyone that has to be the much of an A$$ anywhere they go. It makes me so mad to see things like that happen to people. It sounds like they didn't even give you a chance to tell your side of the story. I work with the public all the time and growing up I was taught there is two sides to every story but it sounds like the red marks and the fear you all had was not enough to make them find out the other half of the story. Well good luck take your hubby and have him as your body guard. I never have had this problem but the best of luck to you.
Old July 7th, 2005, 09:14 PM
First Mate

I do hope you get some help with the charges. Please be very careful on the next cruise. I would write a letter to Carnvial and let them know how bad the security was on your ship.

Destiny,Rhapsody ,Conquest x2
Old July 8th, 2005, 02:17 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to marpat

Isabel, I saw your story on the local news. I really hope that Carnival does something about this. Incredible that they did not assist you after the attacks, the least they could have done is put a security person on that hall
Old July 8th, 2005, 04:25 PM
Cruisers

Default Re: Re: Security - or lack therof

I too saw your story on Bay News 9 in Tampa. I was amazed that Carnival did not comment. The bruises on the girls that were attacked were horrible. Unfortunately, incidents like these make me think twice before booking on Carnival again! I hope you and the other ladies on the cruise go all the way to court on this one.
Old July 8th, 2005, 06:25 PM
Admiral

I am hoping that the reason for no comment from CCL is that they are investigating this incident and taking action before releasing any info. Not sure what to say on this except I am sorry and this is an extremely unusual occurance on any cruiseline.
Jim

Old July 8th, 2005, 09:44 PM
First Mate

Going on a Carnival cruise in March. Please keep us posted. I too hope that CCL is investigating and that is why they have not made any comments. This makes me feel very uncomfortable going on their cruise line. You think you'd be safe on the ship! Sorry for your trouble. Good Luck!!!!
Old July 8th, 2005, 10:01 PM
Yeoman

I am sorry for your experience. I just can't understand how Carnival could allow this to happen without any help to you. I am sure that they are investigating it, at least I pray that they are!, but have they contacted you at all? Do they even seem concerned? I am leaving a cruise with them this Sunday and this news is very distrurbing to me. I pray you find a peaceful resolve, but I feel it is way pass time for Carnival to have stepped up to the plate!!!!!!!!!
Old July 9th, 2005, 08:04 PM
Passenger

When the news contacted Carnival, Carnival had no idea what was going on - there wasn't an incident report filed. Its incredible that Carnival did not take my situation seriously at all. I am still very angry about what happened and how we were treated after the fact.. I am working with my attorney and will keep you posted.
Old July 9th, 2005, 08:47 PM
Yeoman

good for you, because it sounds as if someone (crew) should have been able to offer you some assistance! That was just insane. hope it all works out.
Old July 9th, 2005, 08:58 PM
Cougar

I don't know what Carnival could do at the time. Their personnel didn't witness the incident and they sure can't throw people in the brig based on what a passenger says happened. I'm sure the other parties were telling them a totally different story, no?

I hate to say this, but I think your case is weakened by a couple of things: first, you didn't report the assault to the Mexican police, who had jurisdiction in Cozumel port(Tampa can't do anything for you when it happened in a foreign country!). Second, they are going to ask why if you felt "very unsafe and like prisoners" didn't you leave the ship? In other words, once you realized Carnival wasn't going to do anything, why would you remain in an unsafe situation? If you had and could prove why, you might get them to refund the rest of your fare and pay for the ticket home, but putting a value on "feeling unsafe and staying around to keep feeling unsafe" is more difficult.

I'm not taking anybody's side here, just saying how I think this will play out. Carnival will probably offer something, but I think you would have better luck suing the people who hit you.
Old July 9th, 2005, 09:32 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to Chyna

I guess if you didn't have cable, (Bay News 9) it didn't make the other local channels. When did this happen?
I watch the news at 6 and 11 nightly and never heard the story on the news here in Tampa. I do hope you write to Carnival and let them know of your ordeal.

Old July 9th, 2005, 10:24 PM
Admiral

Not meaning to make waves but it would be interesting to hear the other side of the story.
Old July 10th, 2005, 01:17 AM
Admiral

Isabel,

What a terrible thing to have happened. If your story is truly as you tell it, I hope you have a good attorney who assures that you will be compensated 10 fold for what happened to you....

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old July 10th, 2005, 06:45 AM
Yeoman

I do agree, we should hear the other side of the story, but assualt is still assualt........
Carnival should be investigating this!
Old July 10th, 2005, 06:50 AM
Passenger

Cougar -

I understand your concerns. The ship had already left Cozumel, and it was our next to last night there. Obviously, the ship was already out, so we couldn't have gotten off - that would have been great. Because for the fact that these people attacked us and nothing was done to ensure our safety afterwards, we were scared to death what would happen if we left our cabins. If the other party really was scared (which would have been a laugh), they would have been beat up, and visibly bruised, like we were. They don't have a scratch on them. THEY BEAT US UP. Yes there are two sides to the story, but the side that I would love to get from them is why the people who attacked us continued to act like animals and brutally beat us if we did nothing wrong.

If I wasn't 100% confident in our story, I would not be pressing charges.

You're right, Carnival wasn't there to witness anything. However, when three people are brutally beaten, and there are four people who don't have a scratch on them, common sense should kick in. My hair is falling out from when the guy dragging me down the hallway. I am still bruised, and my friends are pretty much in the same shape. All we were asking Carnival to do was to give us some form of security, which they did not. Carnival did not take us seriously, Carnival didn't do anything.

Carnival has no procedures in place for this type of situation. When we arrived in Tampa, the police said that only if it was a murder or a rape, would they have done something. Granted our situation wasn't that bad, but you never know. There should be some form of procedure in place for when things like this happen.

The only reason I am posting this is so other people are aware of what kind of security Carnival offers. NONE. You are on your own.

--Isabel
Old July 10th, 2005, 06:52 AM
Passenger

The story was on Bay News 9.
Old July 10th, 2005, 09:27 AM
Admiral

Is there a link where I can read the story? Obviously we don't get Tampa news in Southern California....

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old July 10th, 2005, 03:08 PM
Cgusf

I was one of the girls that was in the cabin as this all happened and the authorities have stated that the perpetrators have 10 days to respond to these charges. I have attached a few pictures to show some of the bruising that the girls have received. By the way, we are not saying that Carnival is responsible for what happened, but I believe that their response and reaction to what happened is unexcuseable. The scary thing is that I am going on a cruise with Carnival again in 2 weeks (7 day from PR) and this time taking my grandparents. God forbid something like this were to happen with them aboard, would Carnival do anything about it then or would someone have to die?

Old July 10th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Cgusf

Default Re: Re: Re: Security - or lack therof

Here is another pic

Old July 10th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Cgusf

Forearm bruise

Old July 10th, 2005, 03:12 PM
Cgusf

Before the drama - we were all having such a good time =)

Old July 10th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Cgusf

Another bruise

Old July 10th, 2005, 05:26 PM
bjkeen

I am sorry that this happened to you. I to would write a letter to the President of Carnival.

I have cruised with Carnival several times and am thanksful that this has never happened to me. Although, I have had crew members speak to me in a friendly manner. I say to them, "Did you meet my husband?" "He is the huge guy over there." And after one look in his direction that is the last time they speak to me.

People need to keep in mind that they are on a floating resort. You are on a ship with anywhere from 1,000-3,000 people; the majority of which you do not know. I always tell my kids not to go inside someone elses cabin. I make my daughter dress more conservative while on the ships. Crew members often sign on in countries
outside the U.S. where the cultures are different, and their ideas may also be different. I always stress to parents (regardless of the cruise line) that they need to check on their children regularly.

I cruised once with a FBI agent who told me that the ship checks the manifest for criminals or terrorist before you sail. That was reassuring.

Keep in mind that rapes happen occassionally on cruise ships. Generally, the cruise companies just put the offender off in another country.

Once while cruising, I could not locate my daughter and her cousin. They were later than the designated time to return to the cabin. After searching the ship twice I was close to hysterical. I asked Security to help me search for them after my second trip walking the entire length and width of the entire ship at 1:00 a.m. No one was around except the lady vacumning. The Security person told me to look one more time and if I did not locate them, Security would help me. Luckily, I found them and they were fine.

I love cruising, but I am also careful. That is not to say that you were not. It does not sound like you had any control over the situation.

I hope your next cruise is much better.
Old July 10th, 2005, 05:49 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Mattp

At first when I read the post I wasnt taking it seriously. After I saw a few of the pictures I started to believe it a little more. As one of the posters stated it is not carnivals fault but they should have looked into the situation a little better. I do agree working in the secuity field that I have not seen much on the ship. The only time I have acutally seen them are when you get on and off the ship and one guy posted outside the club to check ID's. That is is. I always felt comfortable on my previous two trips but this time in the club I realized that if I wasn't there many guys would have hit on the girls I was traveling with. I felt that if something were to happen NO ONE would be there around. Although nothing did, I still look back and feel like they do not take that part of ship security seriously, and if something was wrong who would stop someone? The room steward or your waitor, probably not. Fortunately this situation didnt result in anything more serious however what would happen if it did?

A stong letter to carnival's president and directors would surely be heard. Include as much fatual information as possible including pictures and any and all contact information involved. Send the info certified mail so you know it is received and wait to hear back. Do not include threats in the letter but do offer what you want as far as compensation and what you would like to see done, working in the entertainment industry at a music venue I always looked and gave better response to the people who acted like humans not threatening to sue me and everyone else I knew. If they do not respond in a timely matter than I would then contact a lawyer. I did always like to read what a customer thought they would like to see happen.

This is just my advice and thoughts. Good Luck.