Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 5th, 2005, 08:11 PM
drewntexas

Default Tropical storm...Dennis!!

I am schedule to depart Galveston this Sunday on the Elation which is headed to Progresso, Cozumel & Belize. It appears TS Dennis is heading directly towards our plotted course.

Curious about how these storms typically effect the itinerary of a cruise. Has anyone experience these types of circumstances in the past???
Sponsored Links
Old July 5th, 2005, 08:38 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Tropical storm...Dennis!!

Depending on his path, you might miss a port and either go somewhere else or have an extra sea day. Last year during Hurricane Frances, our 7 day cruise became 9 days with 2 extra sea days but we did go to all scheduled ports. We just couldn't get back to Florida.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old July 5th, 2005, 09:31 PM
Wsindel

I am on the July 10th Elation also. We should be so lucky as to get extra days! But I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Old July 5th, 2005, 10:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy
Default Re: Re: Tropical storm...Dennis!!

Looks like you guys will get lucky. I sure hope so! Enjoy your cruise! We just got back from Elation and those ports and had a GREAT time!
cheryl
Old July 6th, 2005, 07:56 AM
Passenger

Having just returned from our cruise during TS Arlene......remember this.....IF you are in rocky waters and they come to your cabin wanting to put metal plates at your ocean view window....it is going to be a LONG day!!!! Our waiter told us if you get seasick...DO NOT drink a lot of fluids. Instead eat foods like bread, toast, french fries etc...MAKE yourself eat. 3 out of the 4 of us were sick. 2 of them could barely get out of bed. I made them eat and they felt MUCH better. If there is at least one person who isn't sick go get your food. Room service will take over an hour because EVERYONE is ordering.

Your Captain will do his best to avoid bad weather. Safety is always first. However if you get stuck in the middle like we did, just TRY to make the best of it. DO NOT wait until you feel sick to take your sea sick meds. Take them every day even before you leave. If you wait they don't seem to help.

Since we have returned from that cruise (our first) I feel bad for the people out on those ships. I know how dissapointed we were with a week of rain but we made the best of it. That is all you can do. Pack a deck of cards and wish for the best.

I hope you miss the storms!!!

Angie
Ohio
Old July 6th, 2005, 09:59 AM
Admiral

There is sooooo much to do onboard the ship that no matter what happens you will be entertained.

Our itinerary was changed from the Western to the Eastern last September as we avoided Hurricanes Ivan and Jeanne. We wanted to see the Western, but the Eastern was fine AND we were still on a cruise!

dorothy

CarnivalSensation February 2015
Carnival Dream November 2015

Carnival Fascination April 2014
Carnival Elation March 2011
Carnival Imagination Sept 2007
Carnival Sensation Dec 2006
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 2006
Carnival Miracle Sept 2005
Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2004
Old July 6th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Happy Camper

TAKE BONINE (over the counter at Walmart) with you - they are tiny pick pills in case of rough seas - THE SEAS WILL BE ROUGH NO MATTER WHAT!!!!! Seriously - the Gulf is already churned up with TS Cindy so it will be rough expecially with Dennis coming in too. Take something with you for sea sickness......

Texas port is bad because there is a lot less ports to reroute you too (unlike Florida) so you will probably end up with more sea days and one year they pulled into New Orleans but that is unlikely since Dennis will be routed close to there probably. Just have fun - with so much to do on ship and I have found that to get in the open air and I eat PIZZA - wonderful on Elation!! It is a bread product!!

Take something with you for sea sickness - I have found Bonine works the best for me because it will be rough and if you miss ports you will probably end up with more sea days which we like the best anyway!! Take the Bonine either when you get up or right as you feel queasy - don't wait!! Try taking 1/2 pill first as they can be strong - at least for me at 115 lbs... Once you get to a point where you can't keep anything down no pill will work! Better safe than sorry! Debbie
Old July 6th, 2005, 02:32 PM
cruisingrandma

Guess thats why I dont cruise in Hurricane season. I dont have to worry about the storms so much then. Happy cruising.....
Old July 6th, 2005, 02:35 PM
Admiral

You should be okay but NO may have a problem if any ships are scheduoled to depart SAturday. It may have already gone ashore by then. I vote for it hitting the panhandle again.
Jim

Old July 6th, 2005, 06:24 PM
skl

Take ME along on your cruise (your expense, of course). I'm a registered nurse, mother of three, not bothered at all by things that spray out of either end of the body. I don't get seasick and am accustomed to taking care of large numbers of people at once. I've seen it all (I'm an ER nurse) and am bothered by nothing.

Just a thought.

skl
Old July 6th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Admiral

Dennis has just been upgraded to a hurricane and latest reports are Mobile or Pensacola but it could still go darn near anywhere. Jamacia looks like they will take a very strong hit and probably get the Caymans some as well.
Jim

Old July 6th, 2005, 07:31 PM
drewntexas

My wife is an operating room RN and she promised to take care of me and my two sons if we decide to spew!!. Last year we took this same cruise and use the "behind the ear" patch for motion sickness. However last year we had 7 days of perfect weather.

Looking at the latest radar images, it looks like Dennis might curve up towards Florida. Good for us...bad for Florida...again!

Thanks for all the advice..ill keep a bucket on hand..just in case!!
Old July 6th, 2005, 11:16 PM
Passenger

Does Carnival have a page for updates for their ships during TS and hurricanes? I looked but didn't find anything, maybe I just looked in the wrong place.

Old July 7th, 2005, 12:39 AM
Passenger

cruisinggrandma, then you are fortunate that you don't HAVE to take your vacation time during hurricane season like we do, aren't you. ;o) Not much choice here....
Old July 7th, 2005, 07:08 AM
bjkeen

Have you seen my abc's, 123's on hurricanes? Yes, it is the season and we in Florida are keeping a close watch on Hurricane Dennis. Call your cruise company and ask them what is going on with your cruise. They will know.
Old July 7th, 2005, 08:19 AM
BP

We are leaving out of Tampa on Sunday on our first cruise. From the track it looks like it will miss Tampa, I am still concerned though we will not be able to get out of port or the Miracle will not be able to get into port. Any insight will help quell my anxiety
Old July 7th, 2005, 08:34 AM
Passenger

Shame on you Jim. Let's hope it just fizzles out. The people in the panhandle including my Alabama Gulf area friends are far from recovered from last year's storms. A storm may ruin a weeks vacation for some of us, but it ruins lives for many. And we can stay home..they are already there!
Old July 7th, 2005, 08:41 AM
Admiral

Carnival will update on itinerary changes and cancelled cruiss (if any) from their regular website carnival.com. Just look for the "news and updates" link.

dorothy

CarnivalSensation February 2015
Carnival Dream November 2015

Carnival Fascination April 2014
Carnival Elation March 2011
Carnival Imagination Sept 2007
Carnival Sensation Dec 2006
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 2006
Carnival Miracle Sept 2005
Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2004
Old July 7th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to CruiseDude Send a message via Yahoo to CruiseDude

My sentiments to blwms! Jim, that was not a very kind thing to say considering what people in that part of the country had experienced last summmer. Shame on you! I guess as long as is appeases you then it is ok.
Old July 7th, 2005, 09:40 AM
Admiral

Not that Jim needs someone coming to his defense but I believe what he meant when he said...."I vote for it hitting the panhandle again"....was he was just projecting his view on which way Dennis was headed. At least that's how I took it. Maybe that's because I grew up in Cocoa Beach, FL near Port Canaveral and we always use to take "bets" or "polls" which way a hurricane was headed because we all know they can AND do turn around and go anyway they want.

I, too, have many friends still recovering from last year and hope this hurricane season will be gentle to everyone.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old July 7th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

I know that's exactly what Jim meant by that comment. Do you seriously think he meant he "voted" (as in "wanted") it to hit the panhandle?? I believe it was just a projection folks. No need to take offense. Haa!!

Old July 7th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Passenger

Okay..I will take that interpretation. Sorry if I read it wrong. Knew that was not the Jim that I have come to admire here..sorry Jim for not fully understanding. Being from Alabama and having so many friends that I know who have really suffered I was a bit too impulsive in my interpretation. Lets hope and pray nobody suffers from Dennis.
Old July 7th, 2005, 01:40 PM
venice

Jim meant no disrespect..I'm glad to see everyone picked up on it..let's hope he is as wrong as most weather people tend to be and that it takes a sharp left and goes out into the Atlantic ocean but no where near Bermuda where the cruise ships are
Old July 7th, 2005, 03:35 PM
sls

Okay, living on the panhandle near Pensacola we are very thin skinned about hurricanes. I was getting ready to cast my vote for it to go up the East Coast of Florida for a change. Just hoping it doesn't escalate too much!

sls
Old July 7th, 2005, 04:12 PM
georgia peach

My heart goes out to all of you who are booked this weekend and anticipating your cruise! Who would've thought we would be dealing with this SO early ??!!!!!

To my kin in the panhandle - I'm stocking the frig for you, ya'll come on !!!
Old July 7th, 2005, 05:24 PM
Admiral

Oh God yes! I was not hoping it would hit anywhere and wish these things would just go away. The devastation that they wrought is horrible. I know as I have gone through a number of them. Three times in NE we were hit very hard in the 50's and 60's and even lost our home to a tree once. I have also been through a typhoon in the S.Pacific that literally tore every leaf off all the trees and even some grass! The homes we terribly destroyed for the most part. As we now live in Fl we see up close what they do here and it is not pretty. I even remember Camille and being lost on the coast of Miss as some of the roads as well as towns had disappered. I wish a hurricane on nobody. We are better prepared than last year as we now have a generator for our power. We have been prepared in all the other ways except this and since the first one hit us last year we are as ready as one can be now. My prediction was the Panhandle and it looks more and more like it might be between Pensacola and Applachicola Bay now. Even though we will probably get something out of it we are very fortunate here that it should not be bad for us.
Jim

Old July 7th, 2005, 08:54 PM
Bmaintz

Dennis is up to 130 mph now, we live in Ocean Springs, MS (next to Biloxi).... We should be on the good side (West) but will start packing anyway.....
Old July 10th, 2005, 11:52 AM
Yeoman

For those of you sailing soon;

Make sure you take your choice of med's with you. (patch, pills, and ect.) Also, if you do get into rough seas, try to eat rolls,and / or non-greasey foods. Stay on the back deck (aft) if weather permits. The more fresh air you can get, the better off you'll be.Try to get where there is alot of wind blowing on you.
This maynot be a instant cure, but it sure helped my wife to get fresh air, and the longer she stayed out of the room, she seemed to feel alot better. Those that have balcony's, sit on your balcony. If weather permits !

Happy sailing to all;
david

2005-Sensation Sept.24,2005
2003-Conquest
2001-inspiration
1999-Enchanted Isle
Old July 10th, 2005, 04:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

We were on the July 3,2005 cruise on the Elation. The seas were not too bad untill Thursday the ship was ROCKING BAD!! Well we made it home safe!

Voyager-04
Elation-04
Ecstasy-04
Grandeur-05
Elation 7/3/2005~!!!
Celebrity Galaxy 12 night panama canal
12/17/2005!
[img]http://www.cruisemates.com/countdown.php?month=12&year=2005&day=17&hour=18:0
Old July 10th, 2005, 05:47 PM
Admiral

The strom has gone ashore and immediate damage reports are not in yet but they seem to have weathered it pretty well where the TV camera's are anyway. We will have to wait for reports to come in from the beaches and other areas. Dennis is far from done too as it will create many problems going up the Miss Valley with wind, rain, and tornados. I was in the direct area Saturday, (west of Tallahassee), and folks were packing up and leaving and getting prepared. My best wishes to them and hope they all get by. I was going to say I hope that cruises are not too badly affected but in light of the fact that our fellow Americans lives and property are in danger it seemed a little silly to be worried about a cruise right now. Remember the Red Cross right now folks needs your help in donations.
Jim