Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 6th, 2005, 01:01 AM
Beginner

Default Salt Water?

I'm getting ready to book my first cruise for my honeymoon next October and I was wondering about salt water in the ships pools?
A few of my friends just came back from a four day Carnival cruise in the western carribean (I don't know what ship) and told me that the pools and hot tubs were filled with salt water. Do all carnival ships have salt water in their pools? My fiance and I are looking to sail on the Carnival Conquest and I'm not too thrilled about the possibility of salt water in the pools.

Thank you, and great site by the way!
Sponsored Links
Old July 6th, 2005, 04:34 AM
Don Smith

Default Re: Salt Water?

I have to know what the BIG negative is to salt water. They filter out the Jellyfish and sharks making it a safe medium for the people and it is more buoyant than chemically treated pool water. I wonder why the people visiting our seashores across the lands do not stay away from our oceans, and only swim in pools.
Old July 6th, 2005, 05:40 AM
Captain

The pools are salt water pools but my understanding is that they have been well filtered. My husband isn't crazy about swimming in the ocean but he does not mind the water in the pools on the ship. The pools are just fine. Don't let one little issue start you off on the wrong foot. Your cruise is what you make it : )
Old July 6th, 2005, 06:25 AM
PHOTO

Salt water pools are great, yes , you should wash off after you dip in the pools, but whats better than no fish, no sand between your toes and going down the road at 20knots, getting out and have some adult libations . Besides its you honeymoon dont worry about the water and other people,
bob
Old July 6th, 2005, 06:42 AM
Cruise Maniac

The hot tubs do not have salt water in them. Every cruise ship I have been on has salt water in their pools.

Inspiration - June, 2007
Carnival Valor - May, 2007
Carnival Glory - August, 2005
Carnival Glory - April, 2004
Carnival Destiny - April, 2001
Carnival Destiny - April, 2001
Sensation - September, 2000
Paradise - June, 2000
SS Norway - May, 1996
Fantasy - November, 1993
SS Norway - May, 1993
Old July 6th, 2005, 07:39 AM
Admiral

You will find salt water in the pools of all major cruise line EXCEPT Princess. Princess pools are freshwater pools.
Old July 6th, 2005, 09:59 AM
Happy Camper

I like the salt water as they dump it each night and refill the next day so guess what?? If a kid had an accident in the pool or any number of other things at least it is dumped each day.... Just close your eyes coming off the slide!! Debbie
Old July 6th, 2005, 10:28 AM
Beginner

Thanks for the info, I'm glad to hear that it's not as salty as the ocean and I understand that it really does make the water cleaner. I live in Michigan and we don't exactly have a lot of salt water around here so I thought it was unusual that the pools had salt water in them.
Thanks!
Old July 6th, 2005, 10:30 AM
FrankP

I do not mind the saltwater but my wife got a horrible sinus infection that lasted for months after the saltwater went up her noise going down the slide. I doubt I could pay her to go back in those pools after the mess she went through. This of course is no fault of Carnival or the ship, it is just saltwater did not react well to her sinus passages.
Old July 6th, 2005, 11:43 AM
First Mate

Salt water has been in all the pools of the cruise ships I've been on. Enjoy it! They are really nice and everyday you start with a clean pool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Have a great honeymoon.
Old July 6th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Admiral

The main pools of most ships are saltwater but the hot tubs are freshwater. I personally like the saltwater pools as they do dump them every night and let in fresh saltwater so the pools are very clean. They still add clorine to kill any germs but they do not have to add as much because the water is from out in the deep ocean and quite clean as well as filtered very well.
\Jim

Old July 6th, 2005, 02:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Salt Water?

I wouldn't worry about the pool. Been on many cruises and have never swam in the pools. There are too many other things to do! This December will probably be my first time in the pools since we are taking our DS's this cruise (6 & 2 years). Have a great Honeymoon and a wonderful marriage!!!!

Old July 11th, 2005, 11:09 AM
toni15462

rccl's boat have pools that are alot more saltier than carnival and the hot tub are not salt water either