Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 8th, 2005, 07:31 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to ALB
Default seasickness

Could someone tell me how the larger ships do in heavier seas. My wife and I sail in August and are nervous about tropical storms and what they do to your stomach. Also what is the best medication to take for seasickness??? We sail aboard the Valor. Thanks much
Sponsored Links
Old July 8th, 2005, 08:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: seasickness

Hi ALB,
We sailed on the Triumph last week. a large ship 900 +- feet, whenever my husband felt the slightest bit nausia, (spellcheck...) we just ordered up rye toast from room service and all was well. It was only a few moments he felt ill, probably too much drink of the day and lack of regular sleep, I got alittle upset on last day, I know it was from to much indulging. Take care of your stomach and it will take care of you...I still felt "the boat" days after we got home, but sorry to say that has recently subsided...have a great time...enjoy~...Faith
Old July 8th, 2005, 09:36 PM
Admiral

Try Bonine. Available over the counter from any pharmacy. One tablet works for 24 hours. Works like a charm and doesn't cause drowsiness.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old July 8th, 2005, 11:20 PM
First Mate

I like the patch you can get a scrip from your Doctor they come 4 patches per pack and are good for 3 days. put on before you board the ship for best results. The name is Transderm -SC-Dis The generic is Scopolamine. I see lots of people on the cruise with the patch on.You wear it behind the ear.It does stay on with swimming and bathing.

Destiny,Rhapsody ,Conquest x2
Old July 9th, 2005, 03:51 AM
FuzzyMelton

I have never gotten seasick so my experience is second hand. We went with another couple in Jan on the Glory, and wife in the second couple got seasick (we had 6-8' seas). You could feel the ship move and it was lots of fun, but not too bad, don't worry. We went to the pursers desk and got some sea sick pills and in about 15-20 min she was fine, no problems. As long as she took those pills there were no troubles, and the trip was fantastic. We are gonig again Jan '06 Elation this time.

Good luck and don't let a little think like the motion of the ocean keep you away. It really does help you sleep and adds to the cruise. I love it, especially being an old Navy Guy!
Old July 9th, 2005, 06:30 AM
bjkeen

I take Bonine too. I take it before I leave home. If you are on medications, you might want to consult your doctor. I've also heard people say that they take Ginger. I do not know the quantity or strength. One person said that you should not take Ginger if you take blood thinners or aspirn.

Happy Cruising!
Old July 12th, 2005, 10:43 PM
Passenger

The Patch that themomtk was telling you about is great. I had the same patch in May. We were on the Glory (Eastern) and it was kinda rough and the patch was wonderful. You can take showers and baths.I would highly recommend it. Happy Sailing.
Old July 13th, 2005, 07:24 AM
Admiral

the ships have wonderful stabalizers, unless you are prone to motion sickness when you fly, ride or drive, chances are you won't need anything, the Caribbean can be glass calm. But its always a good idea to have a back-up plan. Bonnine works great for the queezies, keeping carbs in your stomach works great for the occassional queezies- rolls, crackers, toast. I belive in the ginger remedy - ginger snap cookies, ginger candy. Get outside into the fresh air and do something active like take a walk around the decks or go for a swim works great. A lot of the time its over-indulgance in food and drink that cause the tummy upset, not motion sickness. If you feel that feeling coming on after dinner- take a Tums, Rolaids, whatever antacid works for you and go for a walk or dance your meal off. If that doesn't work quickly then take the Bonnine. The worst thing you can do for motion sickness is to go back to your cabin and lie down.
Old July 13th, 2005, 07:53 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I get seasick very easily and I use Bonine. Works great and its over the counter. I also like the fact that I only use it if I have to.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old July 23rd, 2005, 01:04 PM
Passenger

Just got off Valor and we had 8ft waves. Not alot of motion on the boat. I did however have a terrible time getting my equilibrium back to normal once off the boat. We did a 7 day, the week of the fouth and I am just now feeling normal. I've never seen that one posted, however, you might inquire, to see if any one else had the same experience.
Old July 23rd, 2005, 01:21 PM
Captain

Send a message via MSN to hockeyluver

If you do decide to take any medication make sure you start taking it at least 1-2 weks before you leave so you know how your body reacts to it. my sister in law used the patch and it made her so sick once she took the patch off she was just fine. According to my doctor he said the best thing you can do if your feeling sea sick is have something light to eat the problem most people have is they dont eat (makes sence) but he said that is the worst thing you can do. This worked for my daughter when we were on the Legend she had a bowl of cream soup and some crackers and felt fine afterwards.

Next up Elation Aug 23 '10
then the Miracle again Feb 7,2011
Miracle '10
Holiday '09
Legend '09
Triumph '08
Valor '07
Triumph '06
Fascination '04
Legend '03
Old July 23rd, 2005, 07:25 PM
bjkeen

If you are on medication, make sure you consult your doctor before taking motion sickness pills or ginger.

I also take Bonine. I have tried Dramamine. After taking Dramamine, I slept and then was drowsy.

I read a post stating that you should not take ginger if you take blood thinners.

After my last cruise someone told me to continue to take the motion sickness pills when I returned home. The amount of movement I felt was much less. Usually for a week afterwards I feel like I am going to fall on my head when I reach for my shoes. Does anyone else feel this way?

The weather is fabulous here in Tampa today. Where does the Valor sail from? I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

Old July 24th, 2005, 09:04 AM
Yeoman

LisaW , Yes, thats pretty normal. I call them "sea legs". My wife wobbles around here for 3 or 4 days after we return from a 7 day cruise. lol !

ALB, just like in a lake at home, the bigger the boat, the smoother the ride. Same way on a cruiseship. Most of the cruiseships today use stablizers to calm the rolling, and give the passengers a smoother ride.
The wife and I sailed on the Conquest in Aug. 2003. From Cozumel to New Orleans, we had very,very rough seas from tropical storm Gloria, and I tell you, they worked great !

For seasickness, we take non-drowsy drammine with us. I very seldom have to take any. The wife may take a couple in the start of the cruise.

Lisa, is right, the worst thing you can do is go to your cabin. I know you fell bad, but go up on the back (aft) deck where your in the wind getting fresh air. That will do you more good. As one poster said, she went up on the topless deck, to relax and get to feeling better.

Happy cruising;
david
Sensation-09/24/2005
Conquest-2003
Inspiration-2001
Enchanted Isle-1999
Old July 24th, 2005, 05:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

You have been getting some very good advice here for those of you who see the title and want to know what to do. I do have one thing to add, if you are use to crackers to nibble on when you fill sick, my tablemate couldn't find any on the ship, you might want to take some with you.

Luanne

Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old July 28th, 2005, 01:31 PM
CandiPinki

I get really car sick and before my first cruise, I had sworn that I would never, ever go on a boat again because I get so sick. I would take Dramamine (and the 24 hour formula) but nothing would make me feel better on small fishing boats.

But this is a large cruise ship with stabilizers. I still feel sick if I don't do anything and I've worn the patch on every cruise. I've also experimented with a lot of motion sickness remedies because I used to go to competitions every weekend in high school. Here's what I've found from Least to Most Effective are:

- Acupressure Wrist Bands - They really do work, cause the least amount of side effects and are only for mild sickness.

- Ginger Pills - Even with the patch, we had rough seas one night and I was sick. One of our table mates gave me a ginger pill and it really made me feel better.

- Dramamine - Over the counter and come in two varieities. There's the non-drowsy 24 hour formula (I recommend this) and the 2 to 3 hour formula. Even the non-drowsy one can cause some drowsiness (not as much as the other formula) which is it's main side effect.

- Motion Sickness Patches - I always use these on cruises. They are only by prescription and side effects include double vision. Drinking beer clears that right up.

Last cruise, I had a lot of trouble reading and I had to ask for help reading like the menu and stuff. If I held the menu far from my face, I could read it better.

Additional Tips:
- lying down makes it worse
- when you're asleep you don't notice it
- Mid ship is best (I love the shows (always at the end of the ship) but I've had to leave because it shook too much)
- reading or staring at something like gameboy or TV also makes it worse
- If you have to tender and are stopped for any reason, staring at the horizon helps

I can't think of anymore! Hope that helps!
Old July 28th, 2005, 02:55 PM
First Mate

My first cruise I had sea legs for days. Then the Doctor told me to wear the Patch before I got on the ship and leave it on until I got home. I did this and since have not had sea legs. I just leave the patch on until I get to the houe and all is well. No more falling or feeling like I'm going to fall.

Destiny,Rhapsody ,Conquest x2