Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 9th, 2005, 01:37 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to ALB
Default tipping

It is my first time cruising, and I'm afraid I might be looked badly upon when I say I have no intention of tipping on my cruise. Ive already spent enough on this trip, why should I b forced to pay more. Will I be treated badly on board because of this??
Thanks in advance ALB
Sponsored Links
Old July 9th, 2005, 03:01 PM
BDugan

Default Re: tipping

No, you will not be treated badly because the service staff is very professional and hard working.They will still smile when they see you and greet you.They work for very little money and work hard for tips.You will be automaticlly charged 15% on every drink .But you will probably bring your own liquor.I just got back off an 8 day cruise on the Legend .Me,my wife and 2 kids.We left the base tip of 10 dollars a day per person which totaled $320.00 dollars and tipped about 200 more in cash.Plus 15% on all drinks. My Mom was a waitress and I saw how hard she worked and I learned to appreciate good service.When you go to a nice resturaunt ,do you not tip because the meal cost enough?Do what you want but when you are on your cruise pay attention to how friendly and hard working the service people are.Ask them how many hours a day they work and how much they make .Then make your decision.
Old July 9th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Passenger

Most likely you will not get the service that the others will that tip, they will know who you are if your adjust the tip off your sign and sail card. Good luck and please tip the crew they work hard. Now lets say your going on a land vacation and you have togo out to eat do you tip the server. You have only pre paid for your room and the food and entertainment on the cruise not the grats.

Good Luck
Old July 9th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Assuming you're for real, you might want to tip for no other reason than it's nice to be a decent human being and not a cheapskate. Or, perhaps, because the folks you'll be tipping, especially your cabin steward work very, very hard for very little pay from the cruise line.

I'm sorry if I sound confrontational, but I try to think how I would feel in a situtation where I was working very, very long hours for six or seven days straight and wasn't compensated diddly-poop from my employer. I would certainly hope I had passengers who were kind enough to tip as well as I served them, and haven't made up their minds not to do so regardless of what they provide.
Old July 9th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Bmaintz

We always budget the tips, it makes the cruise more enjoyable that you know that your tips won't be your upcoming electric bill..... Also if you order room service (they are very fast0 make sure you tip them with a smile...... We always try to tip extra above our standard $10 a day per person to those that try hard to make a pleasant cruise for you....
Old July 9th, 2005, 04:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

If you aren't planning on tipping, I think you should accept the responsibility and tell your service staff upfront that your intention is not to tip them... no matter how good the service they provide.

You wouldn't want to be deceiving them by letting them expect that if they work hard serving you, that they'll be rewarded, would you?

Either way you'll be served, but you should be "upfront" about your intentions, and prepared to accept the level of service you "payed for".

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old July 9th, 2005, 04:18 PM
rhonda Dean

I think this post is an attempt to get people heated!! I think your cabin animal may be a snake!

Rhonda
Old July 9th, 2005, 05:34 PM
cali-croozer

Tipping guidelines are right there in the cruiseline brochure so it should not come as a surprise or shock to anyone. It should be part of your travel budget.
Old July 9th, 2005, 06:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

And if you're cruising Carnival, you can even pre-pay them so you don't have to worry about them once you're on the ship. Of course, I usually slip a few extra bucks, even when the tip is added onto the bill.
Old July 9th, 2005, 07:06 PM
Admiral

These people depend on the tips like you would not believe. The cruiselines make out like BANDITS because they pay these people (who work their a## off to make sure you have a nice vacation) so little.

We always work it into our budget about the tipping...I would feel really rotten if I didn't tip. It certainly is your decision, tho.

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old July 9th, 2005, 07:28 PM
...................Miss R

Regarding tipping
I have only been on 2 cuises and my daughtr and I put the suggested tip in an
envelope before we went on the cruise with one for all th people and then tipped
more because we had very good service. Then put it in the envelopes lett for us.
I too had a daughter work for tips and I know how hard they work. I could not leave a tip
but that is just me. You do what ever you want to and how you will feel afterwards.
Miss Ruby
Old July 9th, 2005, 09:29 PM
First Mate

I always prepay my tips that way it is in the budget. I always take extra ones with me so if I use room service I have something to give them as well.
The Materiadee well if he can not come and meet me and the others at my table he gets nothing. I do not belive in giving something for nothing.
The rest of the staff are always tipped. If you read the guidelines to cruising it states a 10.00 per person per day tip. I love to cruise and will tip the crew.

Destiny,Rhapsody ,Conquest x2
Old July 11th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Admiral

Just got back today and I was so glad to see everyone around me tipping their waitstaff. It doesn't matter how much you paid for the cruise, tipping is just part of cruising. If you go to a restaurant, just because you paid a meal, you still tip don't you. But no one can force you to tip I agree with Kuki...inform the waitstaff and cabin steward that you will not be tipping them. Maybe after you see how hard everyone works to make sure you have a nice cruise you'll change your mind.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302