Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 10th, 2005, 06:26 PM
Liane

Default how do you get to port canaveral?

Hey, I'm taking the Carnival Fantasy to the Bahamas out of Port Canaveral. How do you get there from the airport? (without buying the bus ride from Carnival?)
Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2005, 06:30 PM
bjkeen

Default Re: how do you get to port canaveral?

The bus ride might be a good idea. Port Canaveral is a ride from Orlando. The traffic around Orlando is terrible. If you rent a car it is approximately 1-2 hours from Orlando depending on the traffic. I go Interstate 4 to the Greenway to the B Line Express. You can request mapping on the internet. Once you reach Port Canaveral you will need to pay for parking. Last time I cruised from Port Canaveral it was $10.00 per day.
Old July 10th, 2005, 06:50 PM
ospopo5

I too felt the price of the transfer was a little pricey. 50 for one person roundtrip. However there are not too many options for car rentals and drop offs. Thrifty when I contacted them in January said by the spring they were going to have a free shuttle from the rental place to the port. You could check them out.
Old July 10th, 2005, 07:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

WE are too flying into MCO and opted to purchase the Carnival transfers, seemed easier and cheaper to us, and as long as your are flying in the day of the cruise and out the day the cruise ends, you can buy the tranfers. Not sure if there is any other way that would be cheaper than $50 to get to the port.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 10th, 2005, 07:46 PM
Yeoman

We always fly in the day before and rent a car at the airport. Book online at a good price. It ran from 35.00-40.00 each way...going was less than coming back. We've used Avis and Budget. I think Budget was less money. THey each have an office right close to the port. Then they'll shuttle you over to the port for free.....then they'll have vans waiting to take u back when you come home. THey'll tell u where to wait for a van as they continue to pick up and take back...
It's a VERY easy drive and won't take you more than an hour.
If you have the car, you don't have to wait on others which can be a pain. Can go out to dinner, shopping and pick up last minute things at the store before u drop off in the am...we always do this and works for us..very easy to do.

Have fun!
Old July 10th, 2005, 08:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

I live in Orlando and have done that trip many times. It takes 45 mins to an hour from the airport - even with very heavy traffic. Just follow the signs to the 528 (BeachLine, formerly the BeeLine - I don't know if they have changed the signs yet). The 528 runs right past the airport, and very well marked - just follow the signs when you leave the terminal. Once you get to Port Canaveral, take the exit for the cruise terminals - also very well marked. You really never get into Orlando traffic, which is bad. If you check with ground tansportation I believe there are daily shuttles you can catch.

Jodi

Post Edited (07-10-05 19:12)
Old July 11th, 2005, 06:30 AM
bjkeen

Oops, when I looked up the distance I put in my address to Port Canaveral. I gave you the distance from my house. Jodi is correct - Orlando to Port Canaveral takies approx. 1 hour.
Old July 11th, 2005, 07:26 AM
Yeoman

Liane,
Thanks for asking that question. I have been tring to decide if we want to drive to Port Canaveral or fly in. I'm in Jackson, Ms. and we're talking about a 12 - 15 hour drive at least.
Rates on airfare that I've found ranges from $650.00 to $750.00 for 2. As time goes on, I'll try price line.com.
Thanks for those who are answering this question. Its helping me with other options.

Happy Sailing;
david

Sensation-09/24/2005
Conquest-2003
Inspiration-2001
Enchanted Isle-1999
Old July 11th, 2005, 09:06 AM
Sonja

Default Re: Re: how do you get to port canaveral?

Try HOTWIRE.com also.
Old July 11th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Admiral

Budget and Avis are the rental companies with drop off close to Port Canaveral. Budget is about 1/4 mile south and Avis is about 2 miles more down A1A. For 2 people, renting a car would be less than the $50.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old July 11th, 2005, 06:04 PM
barneco

There are 7 of us going on the Glory next month. Originally, we were going to drive to Florida from Viriginia, but now we are all flying. Found out that it was going to cost $350 total. We then decided to rent 2 cars (one way) to go to/from the port from Thrifty (we called and then do have a free shuttle to Port Canaveral from the rental car location in Cape Canaveral). Total cost was going to be around $100 each way plus gas/tolls. Saw a message talking about taking a limo. Found a limo that will take the 7 of us for $100 each way (plus tip).

Obviously, lots of options.

Barry
Old July 11th, 2005, 07:26 PM
Admiral

If you are within driving distance, even if it takes a complete day, it is often cheaper. Check all the options and compare the costs including all the 'little' things like gas, snacks, parking, cabs, etc.
Jim

Old July 11th, 2005, 09:32 PM
Laura Mark

What about shuttles from the airport? It looks like Beeline Shuttles runs for $40 roundtrip to Port Canaveral. Anyone ever used them?
Old July 12th, 2005, 08:17 AM
suzys

We've used Family One Transportation 3 times and they were one time all three times. Would highly recommend them.
Old July 13th, 2005, 05:54 PM
Liane

So with Family One, do you need to already have a group of people ready to go? are there any services that help match up groups of 2-3 with other groups of 2-3 to rent a van or limo?
Old July 13th, 2005, 05:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

I would post on the Meet on Board section that you are looking for someone to share the cost of a shuttle. You may find someone looking for the same thing.

Jodi