Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 13th, 2005, 06:41 PM
Patticake

Default carrying own luggage on ship and locking luggage

we are leaving on the victory this sunday the 17th for western carribean(now emily is a tropical storm and will be a hurricane, great!). there are 11 of us and some of our kids and grandkids want to carry on several pieces of their own luggage.

i have called the cruiselines and asked about this and i am getting all kinds of advice and rules. one rule is if the piece is no bigger than 11" by 17" you can carry on and as many pieces this big. is that 11 deep by 17 long or 11 wide by 17 or what.?

also the luggage you do not carry on and leave with the porter should be locked, correct? i know we cannot lock the luggaage on the airlines because they will break the locks if they want to look in them. has anyone had a bad experience with luggage left with porters, locked or unlocked.? i need this info quick, sohurry and write me back. thanks. also is a $`1 per bag enough for the porter or should we be tipping more.?
Sponsored Links
Old July 13th, 2005, 06:50 PM
First Mate

Default Re: carrying own luggage on ship and locking luggage

WE Use zip ties they are hard plastic. You can put them on the luggage and if the air port needs in they cut them. I take spares so I can replace before leaving with porter.
I also take the locks you can use this from hotel to cruise and from ship to airport then change. to the zip tie In a outer pocket of suit case I put a pair of nail clippers to clip them with when I get to hotel.
We always pay 1.00 per bag. Last year my daughters bag was opened on the Conquest we had put it in hall night before and at customs when we retrived it the bag had been opened the zip tie was cut. They tore into her plastic bag that had her rum in. nothing missing but this should not have been opened by some one from Carnival.
From now on it will have a lock until we get to airport then I will zip tie.

Post Edited (07-14-05 08:59)

Destiny,Rhapsody ,Conquest x2
Old July 13th, 2005, 06:53 PM
Passenger

We are just back from our cruise on the Carnival Triumph. There were 6 of us, and we had roughly about 2 bags each to check, and we tipped $30. This was in NYC though, so ... we learned better to overtip than undertip.

As far as the size of the carry ons, I too was confused. The 11 inches is how thick it is, the 17 inches how wide it is, and it can be as long as you want. Hope this helps. Good luck with the weather!
Old July 13th, 2005, 07:20 PM
alan vines

the 11x17 rule is what will fit thru x-ray machine right before u board.....have never thought about, but yeah length not an issue as long it will fit thru 11x17 scanner
Old July 13th, 2005, 07:22 PM
alanvines

and $1 a bag is plenty all they do is throw is hard as they can into huge luggage containers underneath everybody else's
Old July 13th, 2005, 07:25 PM
Captain

Your carry-on bag must go through Carnival's X-ray machine, that is why you are limited on the size..... We also used cable ties with Name Tags on all of our luggage.... Carnival will give you small luggage tags with stretchy strings, we used our town name tags as a back-up (a tag may be ripped off) .... For the 2 of us we tipped $5 as far as I can remember.....

Conquest .... Nov /03 (New Orleans)
Conquest .... Dec /05 (Galveston)
Celebration.. Sept /06 (Jacksonville)
Fantasy....... Dec/07 (New Orleans)
Splendor...... Nov. 29th, 2009

Splendor...... Nov. 28th, 2010 (booked)
Old July 13th, 2005, 07:48 PM
rosetattoo

I always lock my luggage before I drop it off with the Porter, the locks have never been broken....and, $1.00 per piece of luggage checked in is the general rule. Last year, when we returned to Miami, I mistakenly left a small piece of luggage in Carnival's suitcase hell and I called Carnival when I discovered the missing luggage and sure enough they found it and shipped it to me. They did cut the lock on this piece of luggage and left a note inside apologizing and stating that it was standard procedure and in conformance with their security system. I always bring a small carry-on with a change of clothes for dinner and all my toiletries and prescription medicines. It fits right thru the security scanners easily and I'm more comfortable having my meds with me. I hope Emily's path carries her to Mexico, you should be in good shape if that happens. If you've never sailed on the Victory, you will love it, have a wonderful cruise.
Old July 14th, 2005, 07:08 AM
First Mate

When I dropped my luggage off with the porters they were soooooooo busy getting peoples luggage to the curb from the ship that came in and the early birds that want to drop off luggage I cannot imagine how they have the time to snoop, I did not lock it, and had no problems.
Gail
Old July 14th, 2005, 07:25 AM
Admiral

your carry-on needs to fit thru the security scanner when you board. The scanners are the same size as the ones the airports use to check your carry-ons. Length doesn't matter when it comes to carry-ons on a cruise ship, lots of folks carry-on golf clubs and snorkel gear in long bags. Lock your checked baggage.
Old July 14th, 2005, 06:39 PM
Passenger

you can use and lock any lock that has "TSA" on it. you can lock this and the inspectors
can open using a master key. this is what i use and was told this was o.k. never had
a problem.
Old July 14th, 2005, 08:29 PM
bjkeen

First, I lock everything that is going on the ship. On my first cruise I was ignorant and did not lock my luggage. Guess what? When I disembarked I was missing jeans and various other items.

Second, you don't want to drag a large pieces of luggage on the ship. I always pull a pilots bag off the ship with me (my souvenirs are inside). I do take a change of clothes for dinner for each member of the family and carry it on the ship. Last cruise, my sons clothes and his fiance's clothes did not arrive at the cabin before dinner. They were embarrassed wearing jeans and t-shirts in the dining room.

Third, Porters always appreciate any tip. My dh tips $5.00 for 4 or 5 bags.

Happy Cruising!