Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 14th, 2005, 07:41 AM
SuperDad

Default Belize mayan ruins

We will be visiting Belize over Thanksgiving week this year with the Miracle and would like to see a Mayan Ruin. Carnival has two offered, Xunantunich Mayan Site or Altun Ha Mayan Site and River Wallace. Has anybody been on either of these and which one is better? Any information you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old July 14th, 2005, 07:50 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Belize mayan ruins

We went to Altum Ha/ River Wallace in Jan. On the Valor. When you arrive in Belize they tender you in to shore. We took a Carnival trip for this as it is far inland and we were worried about being late back. We were late back and Carnival was calling our guide on the cell phone. This was the only excursion we book w/ Carnival.
We got on a big flat boat that hold ...ohh 30 or so. Bring a hat and sunblock. It gets hot on the river. Anyway, up the river to a small village. I would actually call ikt a way side rest. Ate...a little shopping then onto a bus for 15 min. to Altum Ha. Then...back to the ship by bus. It was wonderful! We had 2 guides. One Myan, one slave decendent. They told about their belize history. They told us about Altum Ha...we enjoyed the River Wallace. Pointed out wildlife...Dolphins, Iguana's. croc's, monkeys...Highly recommend.
Karyn
Old July 14th, 2005, 09:33 AM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to chipandjohn

Chip and I have been on the Altum Ha and River tour and it was one of the best or most memorable trips on a cruise. We enjoyed it and doing it again Oct 22 on the NCL Dream. Thereís something so exciting about hearing howler monkeys while slowly boating down the old Belize River. Or Manatees pooping up by the boat. While at the tour itís advised to wear bug repellant. We were also severed lunch at the bock before boarding the boat. I understand the local beer is very refreshing. I hope you find information about the other site as well, but my vote is Altum Ha well the river part anyway.
John

HAC Oosterdam 04/14/07,Celebrity Century 04/00, Horizon 11/01,Millennium 12/01 Infinity 10/04, Zenith 12/05,Princess Caribbean 09/02, Sun 11/03, Island 09/06 RCCL Mariner 05/06 Carnival Victory 03/03
Carnival Freedom
Old July 14th, 2005, 02:35 PM
Admiral

Both are very good but I personally thing that the Xunutunich tour is much better as you travel through much of Belize and get to see the 'real' culture there inland and the ruins are very interesting and you can still climb the main temple if you have the nerve! From there the view is outstanding and you can even see Guatamala to the west. Local crafts are also very reasonable.
Jim

Old July 14th, 2005, 10:02 PM
SuperDad

Thanks for the info. Can you climb on the ruins at both places? Which one was most interresting to see?
Old July 15th, 2005, 06:49 AM
reverendjeff

I was at Altun Ha last week. I booked the excursion myself and it was great! With a private guide you do not have to feel shuttled and hurried. We were given personalized service and treated to a lunch in Belize City at a resturant that served the local cuisine. The cost of the trip was as good or better than the ships fee. You can climb the ruins there and the view is great. No worries about getting back in time as the guide is very much aware of the tender procedure. In a van, you have the ability to stop and look at whatever is of interest.
Old July 16th, 2005, 09:48 AM
SuperDad

We have some "seasoned" people in our group who have some trouble getting around, would either of these be OK for them too?