Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 15th, 2005, 12:18 PM
First Mate

Default Dunns River Falls

Can I just take a cab to Dunns River Falls and pay for the cab, and to to climb the falls on our own? How much is the cab ride from the ship, we have 4 people? Is it a set rate or per person for the cab? Let me know if you are quoting one way or round trip price. Also has anyone done just the falls climbing on their own? How much per person do they charge to climb? Is this safe enough to do on your own? Afterwards we were planning to take a cab back to the ship and walk to Jimmy Buffetts Margaritaville. All information would be appreciated! Thanks!
Libby
Sponsored Links
Old July 15th, 2005, 12:39 PM
Sandy1

Default Re: Dunns River Falls

If you do decide to go on your own, which I did, make sure that you pay your driver on your return trip. I heard a lot of horror stories about vacationers paying in advance and the driver never showed up to pick them up and had to pay again.
Before you get in the car, tell the driver that and most times they will accept that. If not, then try another driver.

Trust Me On This One!!!
Old July 16th, 2005, 08:12 AM
Cruise Maniac

Never been to Jamica and heard you need to be careful there. We are planning to do the Falls in April. Tell me more about Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville...please!
Old July 16th, 2005, 11:33 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Dunns River Falls

Jimmy Buffets Margaritaville is just a short walk from the ship. It is a fun and lively place. A 1/2 indoor/outdoor place to eat and drink. They have a swimming pool with waterslide right inside the restaurant. There is a beach and some shops as well. Of coarse they play Jimmys music. They have all kinds of fun and contests like hula hoops and stuff. Very casual place to just have some food, drink, and fun!
Old July 16th, 2005, 11:51 AM
DENISE H

can't help ypu about the taxi we took the ship tour of dunns river we had no problem
walking the stairs there was a place you could stop and rest and take pictures of the
falls the falls were beatful the part of the tour that i didn't like was the straw market
you will have to go thro this area to get out tof the park the reason i did't like the
market some one grab at me i like looking at items they won't to sell but i don't like
being grab at i did enjoy the falls and our vist to jamica i would like to vist again
Old July 16th, 2005, 11:52 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks we'll check it out. It sounds like a perfect place to go after the falls.
Old July 25th, 2005, 08:30 PM
First Mate

I would recommend a great trip on Cool Runnings. The catamaran leaves at about 10:30am and gets back to the ship at approximately 1:30/2ish. They take you over to the falls then take you back on the Catamaran...it's approximately 49 p/person - on the way back they provide free rum punch or bacardi and coke. It's a great time, hitting the waves and enjoying the sun with some great "island" music. 49.00 includes the climb.
Old July 26th, 2005, 08:10 AM
Admiral

getting to the falls via boat is the best way to go, that way you avoid the pushy vendors at the marketplace.
Another good option to consider would be booking an island tour with Peat Taylor - very good tour operator.
You can just grab a cab at pier but you must get a government bonded cab not a gypsy cab. The government cabs are clearly marked. Make arrangements for a round-trip ride, and pay the cabbie at the end of your trip, when you are at the dock.
Old July 26th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Admiral

You can do either a ships tour or on your own to the falls from Ocho Rios. The fare 'was' five PP and you pay when they drop you off back at the pier. If they give you this price tip them and tip them well. You do not need to take a 'tour' that they offer as it is not that great and they just take you to friends places to spend your money. Be polite and respectful and they will return the same to you tenfold. I do not remember the cost of entry to the falls. Bring old tennis shoes or 'water shoes' as the rocks are slippery. Flip-flops ARE NOT acceptable and you will bust your butt with them. <G> Avoid the 'merchants' at the top of the falls as they are very aggessive and just not nice to deal with. The vendors at Margaritaville and even at the straw market downtown are much better. At Margaritaville you can access the beach and it is a nice place to spend time.
Jim