Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 21st, 2005, 10:06 PM
sallyj

Default Good hotel in Orlando near airport

We are sailing Sept 3 out of Port Canaveral on the Glory. We will fly into Orlando a day early and wondering what is the best thing to do about staying the night. Would anyone suggest we stay in Orlando close to airport then in the morning catch Carnivals transit service for $50.00 each person to get to port in Canaveral? Or should we try and get to Cocoa beach or somewhere else on Friday the day we get to Orlando and be closer to port for Sast sailing? Any help would be greatly appreciated, also names of places to stay, and shuttle services other than Carnival.
Thanks, Sally
Sponsored Links
Old July 21st, 2005, 10:39 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Good hotel in Orlando near airport

Sally,
If you click on search, put in Port Canaveral and anything else you want to ask, lots of info will pop up. You didn't say how many in your party but personally, I would rent a car from Budget and drive to Cocoa Beach, stay at the Hampton Inn, drive the car to Budgets return only 1/4 mile south of the port. They offer free shuttle service to the port and are very friendly. For your return to Orlando, just purchase the transfers on the ship or pre-arrange another car for the return. Have a great time.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old July 22nd, 2005, 12:20 PM
Yeoman

We always come in the day prior in Orlando as well. Also, always rent a car at the airport. You book online prior to going....we've used Avis and Budget. Found Budget to be a little cheaper. THey both have drop off close to the port. Then they'll shuttle you over to the port that morning you drop it off for free like the last poster said. We prebook both ways. Once you get back, they'll have vans continously going back to the rental agency so you can pick up your car to go back to the airport. Our flights are usually in the early evening, so we enjoy our day before going back to the airport.
If you come in the day prior, you can go shopping, dinner, pick up last minute items at the grocery store. We enjoy going to Ron Jon's. It's a huge 2 story surf shop that has many beach items...a fun place just to check out. They have a grocery store across the street. It's on the same road that runs to the port.
We just don't like waiting for others when u do the trasfers and you don't have the freedom to go where you want to.
Usually runs about 70.00-75.00 for a car for both ways...I like Budget better...JMO though.

Have fun! I love to cruise out of Port Canaveral....
Old July 22nd, 2005, 12:25 PM
Admiral

Imagine my shock of seeing Ron Jon's sooo big. I grew up there and I remember it just being a little shack back in the 60's.

Also, If coming in the day before, be sure to try Grills for dinner. You can even print off a 10% off coupon from their website. It's right on the water at the port. Good food and great music.

7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

Old July 22nd, 2005, 06:15 PM
sallyj

Thanks so much C A Cruiser and bigsky for help. I am still little confused about this. It is called senior moment I think!!!!!! Anyway, it will be hubby and myself. Are you saying we fly into Orlando the day before sailing, then have rental car already lined up online.
Do we call them when we get to the airport to bring us the car, or do we walk and get it?
Then when we get to cocoa beach we can keep the car until early next morning and then take it to turn in area and they will then carry us to the port? This is so confusing to me, sorry. Then when we get back from cruise, we have a car lined up also. Do we get on shuttle van to the car rental area or do we call them to bring rental car?
Any more help for me I would appreciate so much. Sally
Old July 22nd, 2005, 06:41 PM
Admiral

Sally,
Yes, book your car online with Budget and when you get to Orlando, you take the tram over to the main airport, go to baggage claim and get your luggage then follow the signs to rental cars. They are just outside a little ways walking. The drive is very easy to Cocoa Beach, just down the 528 Beeline. Check in your hotel, have a relaxing night, dinner at Grills is recommended, there is a WalMart down the 520 Causeway for last minute items. In the morning, have breakfast, fill up the car, then drive to the Budget return located on the left side of the street, 1/4 mile south of the port. Be sure to arrange a car for your return. They will shuttle you to the port for free (tip of course). When you return, they will either have their shuttle waiting or you can call them and tell them you're ready for pick up. They will then pick you up and bring you to their location to pick up your pre-arranged car. Or you can just purchase Carnivals airport transfers if you have an early afternoon flight and don't want to bother driving. Hope this helps.
Teresa

Post Edited (07-23-05 09:54)

7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

Old July 22nd, 2005, 08:53 PM
Yeoman

Thanks guy's for all the good information.This will help me if we decide on sailing out of Orlando. But, as of now, we are still tring to decide on which ship ? (RCCL or Carnival ) what port ? (Orlando or Maimi )

We have decided on fling in from Jackson, Ms.the day before our cruise, instead of driving.
Any good advice for sailing out of Maimi ?

Happy cruising to all;
david

Sensation-09/24/2005
Conquest-2003
Inspiration-2001
Enchanted Isle-1999
Old July 23rd, 2005, 09:46 AM
Yeoman

Sally,
When you book online, you will book a car out of Orlando, and then another car if you want from PC to the airport.
Very easy to do when u get to the airport. They'll give you directions as well with a map. Once you drop off the car that morning, they'll shuttle you over to the port as CA cruiser said. I then asked our driver at that time about picking us up. He said they'll just have vans coming over all the time picking up people. He'll show you where to wait for their vans. Just make sure you take the right one. They'll be others wanting to take you as well. Then a driver will shuttle you to their office that you originally dropped off the car. Pick up a car there and be on your way.
I would still do this both ways....You have to wait for the bus to fill for their transfers. It's a pain and we'll never do it again. So nice to have your own car and do what you want.

Have fun! Email if you'd like with ?'s.....
Old July 25th, 2005, 08:11 PM
sallyj

Again thanks everyone for all the info. We are reserving a car both ways and a motel at cocoa beach. Thanks to all! Happy Cruising,
Sally
Old July 25th, 2005, 08:20 PM
First Mate

I like the Key Biscayne Marriott on Key Biscayne - www.marriott.com. If you stay here, make sure you request a bay view which will allow you to see the cruise ships go in and out of port. Awesome view! Just a word of caution, parking is 15 per night and in addition to any hotel stay - yikes. But it is a pleasant hotel. Finally, I would recommend a Carnival ship over RCCL. The Carnival Glory out of Canaveral is a great ship! And I'm sure the new Valor out of Miami is nice as well.
Old July 26th, 2005, 07:13 PM
bjkeen

I stayed at the Radisson, Port Canaveral. It was fantastic. I had a jacuzzi in my room. This was a special treat. There is a water fall in the pool. The swimming pool is very large. This hotel is not far from the ship.
Old July 28th, 2005, 03:36 PM
sallyj

Thanks again for info. We are trying to decide here~ We contacted Budget and they said yes we could drop the car off just 1/2 mile from ship. They do shuttle us both back to the ship right? Also, will they shuttle both hubby and me from the cruise ship when we return ,to the budget rent a car place or will I have to wait at the cruise ship for hubby to go get car and come back and get me?
Sally
Old July 28th, 2005, 03:53 PM
Admiral

Yes Sally they will shuttle you BOTH to the ship with all your luggage after you drop it off at the port in the morning. They will then tell you where to pick up the shuttle when you return. They will pick you up, take you to the office to pick up your pre-arranged car for your trip back to Orlando. Just remember a tip both ways and have a great time.

7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

Old July 28th, 2005, 04:41 PM
sallyj

Thanks CA Cruiser,
One more question for you or anyone. Budget ask what time we wanted the car on the day the ship arrives to go back to Orlando but I don`t know what to tell them because how can I know the time we can depart the ship? Any ideas?
Sorry, hope I don`t sound to stupid, we have did several cruises before this one, but never had to fly there.
Thanks
Old July 28th, 2005, 08:16 PM
Admiral

I would tell them about 9 am. I have never been off a ship later than that.

7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

Old July 29th, 2005, 05:54 AM
sallyj

Thanks C A Cruiser for the extra info. Sorry for all the questions! I am booking car this morning for before cruise and after cruise . You and others were a great help.
Sally
Old July 29th, 2005, 11:36 AM
Yeoman

Sally, I don't think a little earlier or later will hurt. We've been off at different times...but last time we got off early and was in the parking lot waiting for them before 8:00 am! They couldn't come through the gates before then. So 9:00 is a good time.
We usually drop our car off in the am around 9-9:30. Never have to wait long for a van either! So convenient! People driving the vans are really nice too.

You can do some last minute shopping for items you may have forgot as well. Once you do it, you'll find this very easy! Getting from the airport to the port is so easy too. Just make sure when you're getting your car, they'll give you a map. Ask them which direction to go! We pulled out of the parking lot and headed in the wrong direction last time. So ask them which direction...once you get on though, it's just an easy drive.

CACruiser- Yes, Ron Jon's has come quite aways from being a small shack. It's a tradition to go there everytime we cruise out of PC....Usually have dinner and then head over there. Usually always buy something too.

Have fun Sally!
Old July 29th, 2005, 11:38 AM
Yeoman

Forgot to ask you....have you tried Priceline for your hotel? Check out biddingforfun.com
they'll tell you what hotels you will get if you bid this way or that way. Nice to know...we did this last time and got our room pre-cruise and post for a lot less money than if just booking it!
You can put in which area...cocoa beach or PC...both are close to each other.
Just a thought...we're going to do this for our next one in Jan. in Fort Lauderdale.

Any ?'s...feel free to ask away...
Old August 2nd, 2005, 07:45 AM
sallyj

Hello and thanks so much for the info on the car and the hotel. You guys are great!
Everyone have a wonderful cruise. I got the car reserved for before and after cruise..
Thanks